Hellshade

OT: Attention Fantasy RPG Fans

Okay as I have been off ill from work for the past 2 days I have been playing Skyrim in between drinking tea and sleeping... fought my first Dragon alone so thats 3 for the count... can anything be done with their bones and scales ie make armour etc ? also trying to work out which is best heavy armour or light still thinking of going light armour simply because of the noise of the heavy gear also as now I am getting elf armour made available... I am only a lowly level 11... Also is there anyway that I can stop my horse charging into battle damn thing gets in the way, or can I get a lance for it ??? :drinks:

Is there any way to stop being a Vampire??.... I really hate it!...it's spoiling the game for me!

The easiest way is to get someone to shoot you in the knee with an arrow, 100% guaranteed to make you no longer be what you were beforehand!

I can do it for you if you want, for a small fee of course.

Edited by MikeDixonUK

fought my first Dragon alone so thats 3 for the count... can anything be done with their bones and scales ie make armour etc ?

Congrats! I love dragon fights ;).

As to bones and scales, I recommend selling them. The general store merchants with the scales on their signs are the only folks who'll buy them.

AFAIK, the only real use for dragon debris is making armor. The bones make heavy armor, the scales make light armor. However, making either requires smith skill of 100 or thereabouts, so unless you're serious about being a smith, you'll never get there. IIRC (it was a while back and I was drunk), you CAN make potions out of them, but they're no more powerful than using mundane ingredients. Certainly, alchemist merchants don't want them.

also trying to work out which is best heavy armour or light still thinking of going light armour simply because of the noise of the heavy gear also as now I am getting elf armour made available... I am only a lowly level 11...

Ah, there's a good question.... It's actually quite a subtlely complex issue that has more effects on your character than you might at first expect.

Before getting started, let's assume that regardless of which type you have, you will spend perks on that skill as they become available. Both perk trees are identical AFAIK, so the benefits from perking light and heavy armor are a wash. This lets us just look at the base numbers.

We all know that light armor is, well, light, so you can carry more loot, run/walk/sneak faster, and make less noise in it than in heavy armor. But the real differences that effect how you play the game at the tip of the spear, so to speak, are subtler. I recommend perusing this wiki page:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Armor

First off, note the formula up top and the discussion with the graph. The important point is "the more armor rating you have, the more each additional point of armor rating is worth", due to the shape of the curve. IOW, you get more benefit from moving from an AR 30 item to an AR 35 item than you do from an AR 20 item to an AR 25 item. And it's a lot easier to do this with heavy armor than with light armor.

You can see this by looking at the armor ratings for the stock pieces of armor shown below the graph. The main chest pieces ("armor") have about the same AR whether they're light or heavy. Light armor chest pieces run from AR 20-41, heavy from AR 25-49. However, the other pieces (helmet, gauntlets, and boots) are way different, with the heavy pieces all having a substantially higher AR than their light equivalents. Thus, at the same level of armor (iron vs. hide, daedric vs. dragon scale), the guy in heavy armor will always have about a 50% higher AR than the guy in light armor, and because of the way the formula works, this will amount to anywhere from a 60-100% better overall level of defense than light armor.

This has a considerable effect on your combat tactics. If you go for light armor, you pretty much have to limit yourself to 1-handed weapons because you have to dodge power attacks. You also pretty much need a shield, unless you perk up dual-wielding so you can overwhelm your foes more quickly. And it's also a good idea to be somewhat sneaky and thin out enemy mobs with your bow before slashing into the rest of them. With heavy armor, OTOH, you can wade into full-strength mobs and use 2-handed weapons. And you get better at this more quickly because you don't put skill increases into sneak or archery as much.

Also is there anyway that I can stop my horse charging into battle damn thing gets in the way, or can I get a lance for it ??? :drinks:

Not that I know of. This is why I don't have a horse. Now, if you could fight on a horse, I'd have one, but you can't, so I don't. If you want to fight on a horse, I recommend the Mount & Blade games from Taleworlds.

Thank F*** I aint a bloody Vampire anymore...I was getting REALLY pissed with it!...thanks again Paulo

Just joined the companion guys and they want to make me a werewolf now I know I would like a Ranger style character but there are limits... though a Ranger running round in Dwarf armour is asking a bit much me thinks especially as I seem to be going the one handed route might have to switch to double handed...

Alright, I'm finally getting into the Skyrim groove. I fought and killed my first dragon and it was thrilling to say the least. :yikes: He was badly injured and on the ground after I put a bunch of arrows in him and he still came at me as I back-tracked and fired more. Then he flamed me when he had only a sliver of life left and that was how I got killed on my first attempt. I got him on the second try.

My nord character Saxe is starting to find an identity for himself; as an up close-and-personal brawler yet he's stealthy and has a nice touch with the bow. I'm currently a level 4. Here are some screenies:

Is it worth having the 'cat-people' teach me additional stealth for 250 gold?

2011120600003.jpg

2011120600004.jpg

2011120600005.jpg

Edited by Shiloh

Learn all you can from people Shiloh is my advice...it all helps later on!...you'll soon replace 250 gold just exploring...and killing meathead Bandit scum!..MUHahahahahaha

Bethesda has announced that Update 1.3 for Skyrim is now available on Steam and is being submitted to Sony and Microsoft.

The Bethesda blog promises that more details will soon be made available. “As soon as we have more information on the update hitting PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, we’ll let everyone know,” said Bethesda.

Update 1.3 Notes (all platforms unless specified)

• General stability improvements
  • Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs (PC)
  • Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles
  • Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly
  • Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes
  • Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading
  • Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with frame rate

Bethesda has confirmed that they plan to roll out support for “4-Gigabyte Tuning (Large Address Aware)” next week on PC.

They fix the dragons animations, Bullethead.

And slightly OT to a already OT thead.

Bullethead, am I wrong to assume that you like X3 universe?

Take a look at this: http://www.egosoft.com/games/x3ap/info_en.php

Edited by Von Paulus

Learn all you can from people Shiloh is my advice...it all helps later on!...you'll soon replace 250 gold just exploring...and killing meathead Bandit scum!..MUHahahahahaha

Thanks buddy! :good:

Hey....I used to be an Adventurer like you....Until I took an Arrow to the Knee :rofl:

Hey....I used to be an Adventurer like you....Until I took an Arrow to the Knee :rofl:

Ha! I just heard a guy say that last night right before I met the Greybeards. :lol: Just after I fought a snow troll then decided to run for my life. :this:

hahaha...You'll hear it a lot...it's a running joke in the Skyrim community Shiloh :lol:

'Hey....I used to be an Adventurer like you....Until I took an Arrow to the Knee'

Milk Drinker!

Better get to it - I have done enough Lollygagging.

When Morrowind was new the phrase of the day used to be the one where the Imperial Guards kept going 'What say you?'

Seemingly for a while after Morrowind came along everyone used to greet everyone by saying that. :tongue:

When Morrowind was new the phrase of the day used to be the one where the Imperial Guards kept going 'What say you?'

Seemingly for a while after Morrowind came along everyone used to greet everyone by saying that. :tongue:

If you guys want to see something funny... go to Riverwood, and kill a chicken... Jesus, these people are REALLY sensitive about their chickens. I get the

feeling it's a PETA camp incognito...

If you guys want to see something funny... go to Riverwood, and kill a chicken... Jesus, these people are REALLY sensitive about their chickens. I get the

feeling it's a PETA camp incognito...

:rofl:

Some photos of me and Lydia across Skyrim... and yes... I married her. ;) We own a Manor in Solitude, and a small summer Breezehouse in Windhelm. Great game.

Lydia has nice armor eh? And that's her getting hammer by a Frost Dragon. We took it down shortly after. You can keep the thief girls... Lydia is my type... hackin' and slashin' all over Skyrim.

The Dragon and Spider went at it for a little while. It was fun to watch.

Back to working on Phase 4.

All the best.

post-45836-0-31105000-1323489273.jpg

post-45836-0-18565900-1323489297.jpg

post-45836-0-35072200-1323489307.jpg

post-45836-0-37347500-1323489318.jpg

post-45836-0-06134900-1323489340.jpg

post-45836-0-86904100-1323489347.jpg

Edited by OvS

Is it worth having the 'cat-people' teach me additional stealth for 250 gold?

I don't think so. Sneak is VERY easy to level up in the course of play. In fact, you have to be careful not to increase it too much as the expense of your main combat skills. Every time you go into sneak mode, you start using that skill, although it only counts when you're within detection range of some badguy. Thing is, the game makes sneak checks very, very frequently (like each time you take a step or the badguy looks in your direction), and it makes checks for each and every badguy individually. Each successful check fills up part of the progress bar until you get a full rank increase. At low levels, it's quite possible to get 2 or 3 rank increases just sneaking around the doorway of a room containing 3 or 4 bandits. And you see, that makes it snowball. The higher your skill, the harder you are to detect, so the more likely you are to succeed with each check.

It's also very easy to grind up your sneak skill in perfect safety. Just find some NPC, walk to a spot some fairly close distance behind him, and go into sneak mode. Keep hiding from this NPC until you've got the sneak level you want. If the NPC is standing still, you'll need to walk back and forth.

Some photos of me and Lydia across Skyrim... and yes... I married her. ;) We own a Manor in Solitude, and a small summer Breezehouse in Windhelm. Great game.

Lydia has nice armor eh? And that's her getting hammer by a Frost Dragon. We took it down shortly after. You can keep the thief girls... Lydia is my type... hackin' and slashin' all over Skyrim.

My 2nd character has a different tankgirl: Uthgerd the Unbroken. She's nowhere near as hot as Lydia. In fact, she's a big, hulking, ugly thing all scarred like she had smallpox. She reminds me of that song "Ethel Pump"

:lol:

HOWEVER, I prefer Uthgerd to Lydia for 2 reasons. First off, our relationship got off to the best possible start. Uthgerd challenged me to a brawl, I kicked her ass, and she's been following me free of charge ever since. Second, Uthgerd definitely knows her place. Lydia has the personality of a moody teenage brat, always being snarky and bored, and no amount of gauntlets to her smart mouth change her attitude. But Uthgerd learned her place after that 1 fight. For example:

Me: I need to trade some stuff with you.

Lydia: <heavy sigh> I am sworn to carry your burdens.........

Uthgerd: What do you need to take?

In short, Lydia isn't cut out for adventure. She was living large in the luxury of the Whiterun palace and isn't at all happy to have been ordered to go crawling through filthy dungeons. Plus, she knows she really works for the jarl and that your character is a nobody who suddenly became a thane, so she's resentful and condescending. Uthgerd, OTOH, lives for adventure, respects people who can knock her out, and is along of her own free will.

Sounds good, but where do I find "Uthgerd"

Regards MarkL

She is sitting at the something 'Mare' Taven in Whiterun. It's the Tavern within the circle where all the merchants are. She's freakin' huge, and ugly. Like a nasty biker chic. You have to fight her first, then she will offer her services.

So I started a melee Paladin type character just for the hell of it. See how it is to play a melee type. Well I'm not sure how the rest of it goes but I knocked this poor Bandit right through the floor with my Mace. Whack a Mole, anyone? :rofl:

She is sitting at the something 'Mare' Taven in Whiterun. It's the Tavern within the circle where all the merchants are. She's freakin' huge, and ugly. Like a nasty biker chic. You have to fight her first, then she will offer her services.

Yup, that's her. When you meet her, she's fightin' drunk due to having just failed at her lifelong goal of joining the Companions, so there's no talking to her without either punching her out or having the whole bar call you a milkdrinking snowback wuss for not doing so. Time to man up :grin:

This new character of mine is also a Nord so is tall for a human, but she's at least a head taller than he is. I always think I'm in sneak mode when I'm talking to her :yikes: