Sign in to follow this  
pandaman

Popular AVIATION movies you've watched and liked!

Battle of Britain, First Light, Memphis Belle, The Blue Max....if it's got a Jet Engine...I lose interest (sorry Jet Jockies) :grin:

I love jet engine!!!!

it feels like this : - hyper.gif

Pandaman I know its not a movie but for something a bit different at www.aerocinema.com in the aerotmes preview section watch the video

of the inflatable plane its really worth a look.

Off the top of my head:

Iron Eagle 3 is awesome. WW2 warbirds fight druglords and there's even the ARES in there.

SAC movie is awesome.

Deadly Encounter with Larry Hagman (aka JR) is awesome if you are the least interested in helicopters.

Blue Thunder is also one of the best helicopter movies.

Aces High was also good, as is Airforce and The Hunters.

les chevalies du ciel, a movie about mirage fighters within the french airforce.

Yes Les Chevaliers du ciel is an apsolutely awsome movie :good:

Also of the top of my head I liked Battle of Britain ofcourse, Flight of the Intruder and The Right Stuff..

Oh yes and "By Dawns Early Light" - B-52 in a maybe a bit more catastrophe movie rather than aviation but still...a lot of B-52's in all that...

Edited by Brain32

Pandaman I know its not a movie but for something a bit different at www.aerocinema.com in the aerotmes preview section watch the video

of the inflatable plane its really worth a look.

THANKS MAN!!!! drinks.gif

Pearl Harbor MUAJAJAJA

No, seriously, i would go by some of those already mentioned. Of those wich haven´t been yet, Tora Tora Tora-Battle of Midway, Flying Leathernecks...and an special mention to the Mustang scene of Empire of the Sun.

I liked those a lot, but I don't think Tora Tora Tora or Battle of Midway are exactly aviation movies. And of course, Hot shots :grin:

Lets not forget 'Airplane'

classic (though, hardly an aviation film!!) :lol:

Although...if you've ever flown on a Budget Airline!,,,hmmm

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

One I saw as a squish was Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines but all I remember was some interesting rival characters, sweet flying low (and slow mind you FC :grin: ) over the Euro terrain, and of course the best looking airplanes (well after SAC bombers of course). Don't recall the 6 Lightnings though.

The film used life-size working aeroplane models and replicas to create an early 20th Century airfield, ...

The camera platforms included a modified Citroen sedan, camera trucks, helicopters and a flying rig constructed by Dick Parker. Parker had built it for model sequences in Strategic Air Command (1955); the rig was two construction cranes and a hydraulically operated device to tilt and position a model, along with 200 ft of cables. Parker's rig allowed actors to sit inside full-scale models suspended 50 ft above the ground, yet provide safety and realism for staged flying sequences. A further hydraulic platform

I always wondered if the Federal Reserve and IRS coup never happened there would have been no debt financed WW1 (Germany and France stopped paying .gov workers in gold in 1913) then WW1 and Boshevism/Nazism and WW2 and WW2.5 (cold war) would never have happened and the free market aviation based on self liquidating (non bank) credit seen before 1914 would have taken us to the planet Mars by the 1960s instead of bank.gov taking us to Vietnam and more debt. Granted there would have been no SAC B-58s, and no SAC, but perhaps civilian equivalents for filthy rich Mach 2 enthusiasts by the 1940s. Don't underestimate the power of the free market when banks don't control the money.

ewww ... that wikipedian link describes in some detail the aeroplanes in that movie (or their replicas or stand~ins)...

Antoinette

Avro Triplane

Bristol Boxkite (Farman borrowed) as Curtiss stand~in

Santos-Dumont Demoiselle

:

:

etc...

The film is notable for reproductions of 1910-era aircraft, including a triplane, monoplanes, biplanes and also Horatio Phillips's 20-winged multiplane from 1904.[8] Air Commodore Wheeler insisted on authentic materials but allowed the use of modern engines and modifications necessary to ensure safety. Of 20 types built in 1964 at £5,000 pounds each, six could fly,

12 O'Clock High <--- the USAF still uses it as a leadership tool.

The Dam Busters

The Final Countdown <--- The best Tomcat movie!

Jet Pilot <--- terrible acting/storyline, but awesome footage of 50's era aircraft

Island in the Sky <--- if you love the C-47

I was rather disapointed in "The Blue Max". It went away from the book in a way that made no sense.

-S

Strange,,,no one mentioned the one film that featured one of my favorite WWII airplane The Hudson :grin:

-"Normandie-Njemen" a french soviet coproduction from the 60th about the french volunteer pilots of this squadron who fought with Jak fighters during WW2 at the eastern front.

- "Memphis Belle" the documentary from WW2 and "Memphis Belle" the movie.

Strange,,,no one mentioned the one film that featured one of my favorite WWII airplane The Hudson :grin:

you mean James Cagney's "Captains of the Clouds"??? or the early parts of "A Yank in the RAF"?? (movie buff...)

-"Normandie-Njemen" a french soviet coproduction from the 60th about the french volunteer pilots of this squadron who fought with Jak fighters during WW2 at the eastern front.

If flying actual Yaks, I suppose so, it could be worth watching: they're among my favourite birds. Many elements of this amazing story would deserve a remake in the modern way, like the evolution of relations between French pilots and Soviet mechanics, from mutual scorn and distrust at first, to mutual respect, to intimate friendship bonds and complete admiration towards each others' skills. All of them cried when a French pilot preferred to crash to death rather than to abandon his crippled Yak and the Soviet mechanic he carried behind his seat and was close friend with: echoed by propaganda, this was this story that first made the regiment famous in the USSR. Gepard, can this movie be found in DVD (Euro standards)?

Good question Capitaine. Have seen this movie more than 30 years ago in GDR (east german) TV.

Here two links:

This should be in french

http://www.cinemotions.com/modules/Films/fiche/24376/Normandie-Niemen/DVD.html

I think this is in german language

http://www.archive.org/details/Normandie-niemenDerKriegsfilm

and here youtube original russian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krMMZa9cfwQ&feature=related

As you can see they use the Yak-11 to simulate the Jak fighters from WW2

Edited by Gepard

Ranked in order of most happy with to not as happy with:

Flight of the Intruder

Memphis Belle

Dark Blue World (although more of a drama than an aviation movie)

Final Countdown

Top Gun

(Ready to take a lot of Flak) I keep surprised why Top Gun is so popular. The F-14 is a cool plane, but Top Gun is a very bad movie in the same league as Pearl Harbor. At least Iron Eagle was funny in a "as bad that is also good" way.

Don't forget Air America.... Top notch movie

Top Gun did one thing I haven't seen before or after - it depicted the more physical aspect of air combat from the cockpit. In other movies, you have folks looking straight ahead, never/rarely loosing sight of an enemy, or having an enemy just randomly go from defensive to offensive somehow. Top Gun has the aircrews twisting and turning, looking back, left, right, up, down, straining to maintain SA. They are fighting against "g", loosing sight, reacquiring, no "radar vision" shown there. Enemies generally maneuver into position, or when they show up unnoticed there is a good reason (overt focus on one bandit, radar/sort group 1 while not paying attention to possible threats hooking behind the 3/9 line.) In that regard, I haven't seen another movie that matches Top Gun. I would never put it in the same league as Pearl Harbor, and Iron Eagle/the series might well be a contender as one of the worst movies/series of all time IMHO (a friend and I watched III last weekend; he felt his Netflix had been soiled - hell, I prefer Plan 9 from Outer Space!).

That said, yes TG is gimmicky, has a less-than-ankle-deep plot, and makes plenty of errors, but you really do have to take it as a popcorn movie. Heck, I enjoy "War Games" in spite of all the blunders they make with the ITW/AA network (among other things). As a popcorn movie, I think Top Gun is great. Other good ones IMO that I see listed include The Final Countdown, Flight of the Intruder and Memphis Belle.

Ceaser, the BoB movie did all that in the cockpit....panicking, looking around, and, BoB even had pilot blinded by the sun and he got bounced and killed in his cockpit for it.

I actually don't consider TG an aviation movie, at all. Zip nothing there.

There's another one, well kinda.

Recall when we nucked Spain back in 62? Somebody made an oddball movie about that, apparently fictionally following the surviving air crew after bailout. All I remember was WEIRD and even surreal. Very, extremely strange movie. Some cool but equally bizarre music score also. Don't recall the movie's name, and can't find it easily.

There's another one, well kinda.

Recall when we nucked Spain back in 62? Somebody made an oddball movie about that, apparently fictionally following the surviving air crew after bailout. All I remember was WEIRD and even surreal. Very, extremely strange movie. Some cool but equally bizarre music score also. Don't recall the movie's name, and can't find it easily.

I don´t know how big do you like those bombs, but i live in the "no survivors area" and i´m about 200 kms- 120miles from the place. Anyway, such incidents happened in Canada and the US too, and safety worked fine. Besides, the US continues to help checking and cleaning the area. Tragically, 7 men died among the crews of the B-52 and the KC-135

Another film wich featured that was "Men of Honor" with Cuba Gooding Jr., Robert de Niro and Charlize Theron (yeah, i couldn´t miss the latter).

Edited by macelena

Well, sure, if you want to be a dick about it you can say it's not an aviation movie. That doesn't mean that's even close to accurate.

That doesn't change the fact that it's a film about pilots, in which they spend half the time flying planes, doing air combat.

You can say it's a bad aviation movie because you don't like the acting, the writing, the directing, the plot, whatever. To say it's not one is like the girl saying she's still a virgin because it was just that one time and she got drunk so it doesn't count.