Sign in to follow this  
Stary

Ridley Scott's Prometheus trailer

For all you Alien sycophants out there... it has Space Jockeys ship in it. Oh and some new gigeresque scenography:

Me, I can't wait to see this. Alien (the first) was is above and beyond anything in SF, shame what Cameron did with it (xenomorph)

oh and from interview with Scott:

EGE: Final question. I have a feeling what the answer will be, but many want to know. Will we see the original xenomorph in Prometheus?

RS: No. Absolutely not. They squeezed it dry. He (the xenomorph) did very well. (He laughs) He survived, he’s now in Disneyland in Orlando, and no way am I going back there. How did he end up in Disneyland? I saw him in Disneyland, Jesus Christ!

:yes:

Oh I cant wait, half year is a very long time... and this creepy music reminds me first Alien climate so it could be epic. :yikes:

I spotted several classic audio bits from the first film thrown in the trailer, there seems to be some tie with the later story of Nostromo crew, but movie will revolve around Derelict ship and Space Jockeys.

Which is good decision IMO, I wouldn't be that excited if it was direct prequel or reboot of Alien

As one put it well "The franchise was on the brink of death with 'Alien 3'. 'Alien Resurrection' killed it, 'Aliens vs Predator' buried it, and 'Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem' pissed on its grave.":this:

'Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem'

Mind your language! I take offence at that!

Mind your language! I take offence at that!

I meant the Strauss brothers movie...

oops! more profanity :grin:

I recall the impact that Alien had on the scifi crowd back in the day.....

During the 1970s, the vast majority of science fiction films were about people attempting to survive in a post-apocalyptic world....a theme that was well worn by 1977, and had trashed and all but killed the genre (talk about history repeating itself).

Then along came Star Wars, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind....feel-good scifi flicks that were suitable for the whole family. The thing is, neither of those films really satisfied the hard-core scifi fan. Then along came Alien, and, Holyshiit!

It didn't do very well with the main-stream movie-going crowd at the time, who were obviously expecting another Star Wars or Close Encounters...but the critics loved it, and called it "compelling, refreshing, and engaging".

How much of an impact did it have on me? When I purchased my first VCR in 1981, guess which film I picked up, first? I recall paying about $90 for it. Adjusting for inflation over the ensuing years, that's equivalent to $250, today!

Ed, I heard storied about it from older kids as a 10 years or so, being monsters fan all my life I was waiting and waiting and waiting, finally a friend of friends gave me for w weekend first two (pirated) parts on VHS, watched that afternoon both. That was a defining moment, one of them for me. I spend most of boring lessons in school drawing xenomorphs and sci-fi stuff, searching info and Gigers artworks (pre-internet times) Then was Alien 3 that was dissappointing and given I watched it for the first time in Paris in French TV I didn't understand a single word then lol

Now I regard it as good, Fincher had his idea studio killed as I look at it. I hate Cameron for what he did, for introduction of Queen (because humanto egg transformation sucks?) and turning mightly Unknown into stupid oversized ants. Ok, it's very good movie with great acting (why oh why Biehn never made it to the AAA actors club?) and scenography, effects, but... ants, grrr!

Cant wait, wasnt expecting a trailer for another couple of months :clapping:

Alien; the only film ever to scare me, still ocasionally have nightmares about Xenomorphs :good:

Craig

Looks very good plus with upcoming adaptations of Old Man's War and The Forever War on the horizon all you SF jockeys (me included) are in for a treat !

This and the Hobbit are my Movies for next year... :drinks: oh and SF2 Not Available...

This and the Hobbit are my Movies for next year... :drinks: oh and SF2 Not Available...

And Dark Knight Rises too :wink:

But Prometheus and Hobbit are the ones I look for the most from AAA titles

edit:typo

Edited by Stary

What about "Battleship", "Red Tails" and "Expendables 2"?

Frankly, those aren't titles I'm waiting that much for, especially Ex2

I'm also eager for Skyfall, the next Bond film. The Avengers might be worth it as well.

Alien and then The Thing were one of a kind..and were well beyond their time..The Thing (Carpenter´s) still gives me nightmares and is my all time sci-fi/horror movie to beat, yet it fascinates me in the same way the light bulb does the moth..

Space Jockey is perhaps the ET with the biggest fan base around, mainly because we know so little about him, so we all can create stories behind his persona, who he is?, where does he comes from?..let´s hope for the character´s sake, that Prometheus keeps up with the Jockey´s legend.And also, let´s PRAY for it not being another predator/alien combo which killed BOTH characters (Predator II was saved by Maria Conchita Alonso´s presence alone)and for me, both movies (Alien vs Predator and the other i cant still name it´s name) never happened, even when on cable i switched(one recurrent nightmare i have after watching the trailer for the 1st time, is that Space Jockey ends up being some kind of a creature part of the Predators universe..or even worse, we end up watching the 3 in the same movie!)..

I strongly suggest The Thing 2011, it does tie up both stories flawlessly and it´s up to Alien the 8th passenger´s fame(and for the same matter, The Thing,since it´s the prequel)..there is absolutely no CGI abuse, and gore is kept to specifics(just like the original,and to be honest, these days, someone beheaded or maimed does not give us the same unforgettable impressions as they did in the 80´s)without being a blood/guts festival.

Best regards

Prowler

Prowler111, brother I feel the same!

The Thing 2011 isn't that bad, in fact I think it's suprisingly good given the original behind it's trying to catch with.

Thing 2011 was decent but the effects were nowhere near as good as Rob Bottin's work on the 1982 version.

Loved Alien (real SF for me) even quite liked Aliens (action movie for mine, SF not so much) but really looking forward to this. Looks to have a bit of an existential bent too - a little bit 2001 maybe?

AvP - oh my god - how bad were they! Even my kids couldn't watch them! :lol:

About the 'ants' thing - so many movies get this wrong nowadays. Once the creature is revealed in all it's CGI glory... it just aint scary no more. For mine ya gotta save it for the climax, and even then reveal only so much to maintain the sense of threat and danger. Alien got it right. Jaws got it right. Even (the original) Predator got it right! The producers and directors must know this (they all go to film school at college don't they?) so I figure we can only blame the dumbed down consumer market that just has to get it's CGI jollies. The last movie I saw to get this badly wrong was Super 8, which I watched recently with my boys. In the brilliant first act the creature is never seen - just noises, bodies snatched by an unseen assailant, a car tossed headlong into the night, a shipping container destroyed by something inside. Spoiler Follows:

During the second act(?) the creature is revealed as just another great big slimy spider-dude - this one even had ET's eyes 'fer chrisakes!

... adios suspense and (human) character development! Super 8 was just daft from that point on in my opinion (even allowing it's a kids' movie). Given that the producer was Spielberg himself, and the director was JJ Abrams in full on Spielberg homage mode - they must have known what they were doing, right?

Of course they did. It's like the Jurassic Park thing. The first film you have a long buildup to reveal the dinos, but by the 3rd film there's no point anymore. People know what they look like, so just get them going already.

That's why the first film in a series is often the best, althoguh with Aliens Cameron turned the franchise on its head and did NOT make a simple sequel that repeated the formula, leading to a situation where some people like the 2nd more than the first even.

On the flip side, drawing out the reveal is no guarantee of success. Look at 98's Godzilla by Emmerich. They didn't show the thing fully (lots of close ups of parts of it and glimpses before) until near the end, but it didn't make the film better.

Rekon it gives away a little bit too much for a trailer... still bouncing off the walls with anticipation though :yikes:

Also all the talk of it not being an "Alien" film but simply set in the same universe.... who's Ridley kidding? From what I've just seen this is Alien 0.5

Craig

Well, I guess since there won't be any "Aliens" in it, it's not an Alien film.

yeah but the mysterious Space Jockey has very big fanbase build around, and where's SJ's ship there is something Alien...

keyword: rumored last 8 minutes of Prometheus

thing to notice: something eeerie similar to queen's head/crown/carapax in the 2nd trailer (0.5 second maybe)