If you had told me, in 1994, when I was a 12 year old kid,

12 in '94! Oh damn, I feel so friggin old! :)

Hi corsaire31.

Good to see you also here in CA.:good:

But I'm afraid, that the newbies pay always the first round.

I want a virtual Gin Tonic.

Welcome. :drinks:

You have it ! Thks for the welcome.

I have been around CA fora long time, mainly for DL of Strike fighters when I was still flying jets...

I'm already on 4 forums for Rise of Flight ( official RoF, Check Six in France, my squadron forum (Hellequins) and SimHQ) why not be on two for OFF ?

Good flights all !

Not a flight sim, but the first Air based game I ever remember playing was this:

(They don't make intros like that anymore!)

Seeing images of those Apaches on HMS Ocean off Libya brought it all back. :grin:

And that intro music!

Dun-deeer, Dun-deeeeer, Dun-deeeeeer, Dun-deeeeeeeeeer, Dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-duuuuuuuuuun

Of course followed by Jungle Strike and Urban Strike

The intro music wasn't quite as good after those three.

Edited by MikeDixonUK

12 in '94! Oh damn, I feel so friggin old! :)

...and experienced!

No need to feel old, nbryant! We were just ahead of our time. :rofl:

No need to feel old, nbryant! We were just ahead of our time.

Back then, we were ahead of out time. Now we're old!

I'm NOT old. It's only that most other people are all youngsters!

Yeah, that's it Olham. And, if you shut your eyes real tight, rub your temples real hard, and chant, "I'm as young as I ever was, I'm as young as I ever was, I'm as young as I ever was ..." over and over, you can reverse time. No, really.

...if you shut your eyes real tight, rub your temples real hard, and chant, "I'm as young as I ever was, I'm as young as I ever was, I'm as young as I ever was ..." over and over, you can reverse time. No, really.

OK. Lou. If you say so. I will begin swimming against the flow of time using your mantra. But one comment from a friend of mine leads me to think there may be more to it. A while back, at about this time of year, Mark S. and I were enjoying the parade of giggly young buds in summer dresses. I commented to him that I couldn't recall the girls in my Junior High School looking so unbelievably juicy. He mulled that one for a second, then nodded and said, "It's the hormones in the beef."

.Da da da da daaaa, I'm lovin it.

Yeah, Springtime and summer dresses. If that doesn't make you feel young, someone might as well start shoveling dirt onto you.

A lot of good old sims there guys. I played most with fond memories. Still have many of them around somewhere. One I loved for immersion was Dawn Patrol by Empire Interactive http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/html/dawn_patrol.html

Nice thread. We are really in for it lads when Wings Over Flander's Fields is on our hard drives. I wonder if we will end up calling it "Wings"

WOFF, WOFF!

Yeah, that's it Olham. And, if you shut your eyes real tight, rub your temples real hard, and chant, "I'm as young as I ever was, I'm as young as I ever was, I'm as young as I ever was ..." over and over, you can reverse time. No, really.

Oh yeah - we practised that in our old-age home! Exiting! Seems to work!

But I keep forgetting the words...

Edited by Olham

YES! My very first Sim. I was in computer school, getting literate. I was living in a garret room with a cat and an Apple II held together with duct tape. Somebody loaned me a floppi disc with Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. I took it home and played for about three hours that night. No joystick. I was a devotee of the track ball in those days. When I'd be chasing a Me-109 from right-to-left, and he'd disappear off the left side of the screen, I'd find myself leaning farther and farther to the left in my chair as though trying to look around the corner to see where he'd gone. I'd start flying big loops to try and spot him, lest he turn up on my six. When I finally decided to call it a night, I looked at my hands; they were covered in sweat. I played that game 'til the one's and zero's fell off the disc. These days, you can't ask for much more than OFF, but even now, CYAC remains my benchmark for white-knuckle, immersive flying. It also caused me to divided the computer game world into two basic camps: Flight Sim, and everything else.

I loved Yeager's laconic, world-weary voice-over:

"You bought the farm...get up there and try it again"

or some such.

CYAC started the rot alright. Even back then I thought

'geez, sims are going to be mind-boggling

in the future...' and here we are :grin: .

Edited by RamblingSid

A lot of good old sims there guys. I played most with fond memories. Still have many of them around somewhere. One I loved for immersion was Dawn Patrol by Empire Interactive http://www.rolandand...awn_patrol.html

Nice thread. We are really in for it lads when Wings Over Flander's Fields is on our hard drives. I wonder if we will end up calling it "Wings"

WOFF, WOFF!

I almost cannot help but wonder if this wasn't meant as a nod to a classic that so many of this generation played when they first started. It seems we have come full circle here! :drinks:

I loved Yeager's laconic, world-weary voice-over:"You bought the farm...get up there and try it again"

I agree. Even though I knew it was just a sound-byte on a computer game, Yeager's voice carried authority. It was like he saw what you had just done: screwed the pooch. "Now get back up there and try again!" And I did. Over and over.

How far we have come, thinking about the Hardware of PC's today :good:

My Favourites were of course WINGS, KNIGHTS OF THE SKY, and RED BARON (I remember it was all running very smooth on my old Amiga 2000 with 25 MHZ :blink: )

But also FIGHTER BOMBER, WINGS OF FURY and THEIR FINEST HOUR were fine Games. And don't forget SECRET WEAPONS OF THE LUFTWAFFE :rofl:

These old games were such fun!...Flightsims these days, are bogged down with Flightmodels, Damage Modelling, etc,etc.....

I sometimes really miss the old fashioned 'games'

It's just two different categories : flight sims and games... Try Wings of Prey in non-realistic mode, you have an excellent game with beautiful graphics ! (And in the settings of most flight sims you can always disable physics, wind, spins, engine management, etc...)

I also loved the time I spent on all of these, but much prefer what we have now...

Edited by corsaire31

Hmmm. I don't remember them to be so colorful, Lothar. What Workbench version are we talking about?

Hmmm. I don't remember them to be so colorful, Lothar. What Workbench version are we talking about?

Workbench 4.0, via a WindowBlinds skin on my PC. Check it out.

So much better than the Windows user interface. How many times in Windows/Mac/Linux have you accidentally closed a window that you only meant to maximize. The Amiga way, having the close gadget in the upper left away from the other window gadgets, completely solves this problem. Instead in the upper right is a Z-Order button that that sends windows to the back, also very handy. Thankfully things like proportional scroll bars have already been copied from the Amiga by Windows/Mac/Linux.

The colorful buttons and stuff within the window itself is the REBOL interface. Unfortunately development on REBOL seems to have crapped out, not sure if the Amiga version would be able to run OFFbase, accessing your pilot files over the network, but that would be pretty cool.

That's cool, Lothar! I should have noticed the Amiga style in your screenshots. But I guess I've forgotten most of it. It's been ages since the last time I had the privilege of using an Amiga.

That's why... I'm used to Workbench 1.xx, 2.xx and 3.xx. I hadn't the pleasure of using the 4.

My last Amiga was a 3000.

Don't talk me about mouses and Amiga. That and power supplies. And not forgetting those ZIF memories for A3000. :deadhorse:

I have Amiga Forever now, and I usually buy all the updates.

Ten years ago, and knowing that sooner or later my diskettes would be demagnetized, I was able to pass all of them to diskette images. I used a serial cable that connected my A500 to a PC.

I've spent a week or two doing that... it were more than 400. Only my love for the old Amiga would make me to do that.

Edited by Von Paulus