Slartibartfast

Turkish F-4 down on the Border with Syria....

I take it "Mideastern" is supposed to be the main negative word here, 'cause otherwise he's no different from the others.

No. I would had said the same if he was from Europe too.

How otherwise freedom loving people are talking in favor of a Mideastern despot who doesn't care a living s**t about his own people and only have one goal in life. To remain in power regardless of how many of his own people he need to sacrifice in the process

He's technically not treating "his people" in a bad way. Remember, it's all about which tribe you're in, or which religious-nuance you believe in.

It's not that these rebels are freedom-loving democracy-fetishists.

They're more into what goes on in Saudi-Arabia.

Hardly the better option than Assad - there is no "good" side in this war.

Pity is, it's (as usual) the people that have no dog in this fight, that suffer the most.

an update on the matter

http://news.yahoo.co...-182711096.html

and Dave, in my experience with Turks, no they will not let any slight go. not trying to be mean or anything, just sayin don't go into a Doner shop and order a gyro!

I lived in Turkey for two years when my dad was assigned to 6 ATAF. Yeah they can be intense and do not like Greeks at all.

One think its hard for me to understand is. How otherwise freedom loving people are talking in favor of a Mideastern despot who doesn't care a living s**t about his own people and only have one goal in life. To remain in power regardless of how many of his own people he need to sacrifice in the process :blink:

You know how? Because I'm not sure the "innocent civilians" are not actually bloodsucking terrorists that used legit political opposition to violently take over and radicalize a sovereign country, that's how...

The old Napoleon said: "There are two kinds of people in a revolution, the one who made the revolution and the others who get profit from the revolution."

My heart is with the guys and girls who went on the streets for freedom and democracy. But i'm worry about the guys who now are called "opposition". An other islamistic land in middle east is not that what i wish. And if i see what happens in Libya, Iraq, Egypt and Syria i get the bad thought, that the west could be in a very near future wishing back the old dictatorships, because they were never a threat for us.

• Like 2

If the F-4 was under 200 ft, there's no way it traveled very far after getting hit.

The old Napoleon said: "There are two kinds of people in a revolution, the one who made the revolution and the others who get profit from the revolution."

My heart is with the guys and girls who went on the streets for freedom and democracy. But i'm worry about the guys who now are called "opposition". An other islamistic land in middle east is not that what i wish. And if i see what happens in Libya, Iraq, Egypt and Syria i get the bad thought, that the west could be in a very near future wishing back the old dictatorships, becaue they were never a threat for us.

Makes one wonder that the same people in the West cheering the Arab spring are now going "Oh Crap !" seeing how it's Islamistist that have come into power, the very same people who're not too fond of the west. Here as well as in other western countries I would suspect, the media was throwing around the words Freedom and Democracy. Did anyone stop and think that as great as those would be perhaps Democracy doesn't work everywhere, kind of like when Elton John married that chick ! :grin:

Changing countries, there has been a siginificant boost of Greek GDP due to huge increase in pop-corn sales.

Edited by Atreides

No, democracy worked just fine over there. The mistake was in the correlation "Democracy = Love the West".

If a majority of the population hates the West, and the elections are fair, then the majority of the gov't will hate the West! Simple!

• Like 1

No, democracy worked just fine over there. The mistake was in the correlation "Democracy = Love the West".

If a majority of the population hates the West, and the elections are fair, then the majority of the gov't will hate the West! Simple!

There's no guarantee democracy means reasonable or level-headed governance. Much more of this and we really will be headed for WW3 soon.

You're right. I missed that fine detail. Funny how Democracy can get dictators elected, just like it worked for Hitler as well.

EDIT:- Still no word on the pilots right ? Sadly, I suspect their fate is now a forgone conclussion, would love to be wrong days/weeks from now if it turns out that they're being held by Syrians.

Edited by Atreides

Syrian sources say, that the Phantom was shot down with an automatically working Flak system. In my ears it sounds like a description of the Pantsir Flak system or Tunguska.

It was also said, that the turkish Phantom was misinterpreted as an israeli Phantom and thatswhy the fire was opened without warning.

The question is, wheter this statements are wrong or false.

Intresstingly the syrians always say, that the Phantom was shot down by Flak, while the turkish side changed their statements about flightpath, flightaltitute, and speed a couple of times.

RIP :sad::salute:

My link

Edited by Atreides

RIP

RIP