Slartibartfast

Turkish F-4 down on the Border with Syria....

Still getting mixed reports here as to whether the crew have been picked up, anyone able to confirm?

Craig

no official report so far except that sar is going on.

if i have to bet , i'd bet on an israeli sub picking em up - wouldn't be that unusual around here...

ATS sources say pilots didn't have time to bail out..?

I read this morning that both crew members were in good shape. Perhaps this story is as they say "evolving". Syrians really screwed up big time!

The Syrians screwed up when they started killing their own people.

Also still no information that, it was an air to air interception. Looks like our plane shot down with Syrian air defence batteries. Hoped that crew was alive so the tension would not get any worse..

I know many people from Tuk Hava Kuvetleri. I hope the pilots are rescued and are well. And I hope situation won't escalate of course. But I am hopeful. In general turkish nation is proud and strong, but it is also a peace-loving and reasonable country. They will not take any s**t from anyone, but they are not warmongers either.

no official report so far except that sar is going on.

if i have to bet , i'd bet on an israeli sub picking em up - wouldn't be that unusual around here...

Years ago I'd have agreed with you. More recently, though, things have soured to the point that I'm not sure. While I doubt Israel would refuse to do it, I could see there being a long delay in such a thing getting approved to the point that the crew would already be captured or rescued otherwise before it could happen.

Years ago I'd have agreed with you. More recently, though, things have soured to the point that I'm not sure. While I doubt Israel would refuse to do it, I could see there being a long delay in such a thing getting approved to the point that the crew would already be captured or rescued otherwise before it could happen.

i'd call you are wrong there. there is nothing sour and everything is going by the grand plan if you get what i mean - smoke and mirrors. i sometimes envy the american public, i really do... :)

regarding the pilots, there are many reports on the news outlets that both are found and rescued etc. since the event occured yesterday however none of these reports are verified so far.

Edited by murad
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

BTW 54 of Turkish F-4׳s were improved in the 90's by IAI. The missing F-4 may be one of those.

It was an RF-4E of which the pilots are still Mia Unfortunetly.

Turkish foreign minister announced plane was 13 miles outside of syrian waters which is considered int. waters. Syrians say it was shot down 1 km inside... Stil int. law dictates warning and other actions before shooting afaik.

Aircraft was of 173.filo recce from Malatya.

Turkish side flies similar routes regularly, feet wet over Iskenderun on sw course turning back over cyprus.

They're now accusing the two Turkish Crew members of being 'Terrorists'

(Assad has totally lost the plot)

I think NATO should consider this unprovoked attack the ticket to intervene and get rid of Assad and his regime without having to deal through UN. It would be a golden opportunity.

Just read in the Danish news that Turkey is taking the incident up in NATO. So there might be a respond from NATO.

Also BBC reports this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18568207

Edited by hgbn

I've heard the Turks are actually taking this up with NATO, anyone over there know anything?

This is very bad news, it seems the flight was Operation Archduke Ferdinand.

Seeing how reports say Turkey asked for the NATO meeting on the basis of article 4 of the NATO agreement this might very well be an attempt to circumvent UN protocols and conventions which considering Russian direct and Chinese political involvement and in light of Middle East situation which is all but stable might be potentially VERY dangerous.

I don't see this as justification for NATO intervention AT ALL and I must say I'm surprised with the ease some people would attack Syria on such incredibly shaky grounds with opposing reports coming from all over the world on a daily basis on alleged or not massacres, foreign involvement and general nature of confrontations in this Syrian sh**fest.

Furthermore, I think Europe (because Americans really don't have to care much with both the fan and the manure being thousands of miles away) reacted extremely poorly to he whole "Arabian Spring" idea, it's impact, meaning, implications and potential complications in the future. Let's get real my dear fellow Europeans, this sh*t is right at our doorstep and it's not like we don't have enough of other problems to deal with as it is.

You're right that this s**t happens right at our doorstep. Syrians has crossed a line which they shouldn't had done in the first place. So any retaliation done in this case, peaceful or military is something the Syrians had put on themselves. They seed the wind and can now harvest the storm. I don't see any difference whatsoever in the Syrian regime and that there was in Libya. Both had/have none respect of human life whatsoever. In my book the response is long overdue.

So people are all for NATO bombing away Assad so he can be replaced with whatever Islamists/Al Quaida are posing as "freedom fighters", like in Libya. Yeah, that's progress alright.

Isn't Assad already not considered a Islamist/ Al Quaida supporter

About as Islamist as Khaddafi was, duh. I always thought NATO was about opposing the Russians, not replacing secular tinpot dictators with islamist nutters who will bring terror to us europeans.

It was the very same excuse Gaddafi used to stay in power. Claiming that people who wanted Democracy was in fact Al- Quaida Terrorist just so he could oppress them?

Well, looks like Turkey is taking a 'softly, softly approach (at least at the minute)

If that had been a USAF jet...the Marines woulda been sent in already!....but, it appears that ain't going to happen with NATO or Turkey at the min

It was the very same excuse Gaddafi used to stay in power. Claiming that people who wanted Democracy was in fact Al- Quaida Terrorist just so he could oppress them?

Well as it turned out they were so your point is?

Apparently western people think that with arabs "We want DEMOCRACY" means "We want to be like Americans" whereas in reality it is "We want ISLAMISM and to bomb the f*** out of teh JEWS".

Well as it turned out they were so your point is?

Apparently western people think that with arabs "We want DEMOCRACY" means "We want to be like Americans" whereas in reality it is "We want ISLAMISM and to bomb the f*** out of teh JEWS".

Prove it!! Or is you saying that all Muslims is per definition = Islamic fundamentalists??

guys can we take it down a notch here? last check the thread is on the downed aircrew, not the politics of the whole global war on terror/ democracy(pick your side and keep quiet please!)