macelena

Going Rogue

not very impressive

Edited by jeanba

At least it looks like Star Wars... nowadays we can be grateful for that

• Like 1

At least it looks like Star Wars... 

Maybe but they don't behave like star wars characters

I have a far better feeling than for SW 7. And I disliked much SW7. 

• Like 1

Apparently I stand alone. I loved EP 7...I also loved the prequel trilogy...and I also love the original trilogy, lol. My Star Wars runs deep. 

I think the preview looks pretty cool...

Looks great to me.............hope I can get to see it on the big screen.

I have a far better feeling than for SW 7. And I disliked much SW7. 

Compared to that, everything is better. Our only hopes are these spinoffs to at least feel something like SW was. But I want to see it first... before judging too early.

Edited by Snailman

No bloody Jedis prancing everywhere in sight ? Fantastic.

The ISDs look and feel like (unpainted ahem) minis rather than CG ? Cute.

Wait, is she wearing a TIE Fighter pilot uniform at the end ? Oooh, shiny !

That certainly look more fun and interesting than any Star Wars movie since the 80's.

@Palpatine, of course you disliked Episode 7, it's the only one in which you play no part at all.

Edited by Gunrunner
  • Like 2

Apparently I stand alone. I loved EP 7...I also loved the prequel trilogy...and I also love the original trilogy, lol. My Star Wars runs deep. 

I think the preview looks pretty cool...

I stared at the cover of SW7 while Computer Shopping today. I wasn't sure I wanted to take the plunge, buy and watch it,  or just let it be.

I almost picked up the DVD for SW7 today....but choose to wait at bit. Not like Costco is going to run out of them ..

I do like the idea of "something in between" the cannon films. Personally, I'm hoping it like Tour 3 in X-Wing!! (I know it won't be, but...well...<grin>)

I liked SW7 very much, the cahracters are good and the history is good, not great bu good.

The great point is that they got rid of this stupid extended universe, which is even less interesting than the Star Wars Roleplaying game missions we were designing in the lat 80's, when we were teenagers., 10 minutes before starting the session.

And indeed, Rogue One looks like one of these : I played them 100 or 200 times 20 years ago, no interest in wtaching them again.

not very impressive

Compared to that, everything is better. Our only hopes are these spinoffs to at least feel something like SW was. But I want to see it first... before judging too early.

Bitch , bitch bitch.  Jesus H Christ I'm fucking sick of you nostalgia critics, criticising a movie  before the movie is even out.  Much like Man of Steel "Oh Superman should have his red undies on the outside" really ?  Fuck that.

No bloody Jedis prancing everywhere in sight ? Fantastic.

The ISDs look and feel like (unpainted ahem) minis rather than CG ? Cute.

Wait, is she wearing a TIE Fighter pilot uniform at the end ? Oooh, shiny !

That certainly look more fun and interesting than any Star Wars movie since the 80's.

@Palpatine, of course you disliked Episode 7, it's the only one in which you play no part at all.

Apparently I stand alone. I loved EP 7...

Amen SW brothers EP7 though a rehash of A New Hope was an awesome cpr of SW franchise and Rogue One looks great.  The director stressed at D23 on the "Wars" part of it, no Jedi's only Sith, i.e Emperor and Vader, can hardly wait.

I also loved the prequel trilogy

In that you're all lone I think.

Edited by Atreides

All this Star Wars talks reminds of working at a movie store many a years ago. A woman comes in and was going to watch Star Wars for the first time. I looked at her selection and noted that she was watching them out of order. She looked at me confused "But I have episode 1,2, and 3," she said. I nodded my head "You sure do. But those are the prequels. You need to start with 4,5 and 6. I suppose you could watch them all 1-6 if you wanted to, but you'd be in for a nasty surprise CGI wise when you hit the last 3. And you may loose out on some of the bigger surprises as well."

Bitch , bitch bitch.  Jesus H Christ I'm fucking sick of you nostalgia critics, criticising a movie  before the movie is even out.  Much like Man of Steel "Oh Superman should have his red undies on the outside" really ?  Fuck that.

We are judging the teaser here, not the movie.

Indeed, I hope the movie will be good.

Edited by jeanba

Yeah, it looks okay to me, and this time we have got a lot more intruige and much more of a plot to this one as it tells the story of how the Rebellion obtained the plans for the first Death Star, as opposed to crash, bang, wallop and huge fight scenes. Don't get me wrong I like a good space fight, but I also want a good story which I can follow, and something which will keep me interested for about 2-3 hours.  

Looks okay and I am prepared to give it a view when it comes round.  :good:

The question is : "how good is this story" ?

And from the teaser, it does not look very original : a team of badass criminals (but actually they are good guys) is charged of a dangerous mission because they are the best.

As I said, I must have played it 1000 times in the RPG, several times in video games, and seen this 100 times in movies

But until december, there is ample room for surprises.

It's a heist film. If you've seen one of those, you've seen them all. The difference is this is a Star Wars heist film.

I honestly was expecting smaller scale for this. No ISDs, no Death Star, no AT-ATs, just small-scale spec ops-style combat mostly indoors.

BTW, no spoilers, but you know they all have to die at the end of this, right? The start of Ep IV is Vader chasing Leia to get her copy of the plans. He's not chasing other copies anywhere else. So that means he already got them all, which means they're dead, and he knows where they beamed the plans. There's also the fact that none of these characters were in the old trilogy. :grin:

There are rumors at least one of the characters from the film will be in the upcoming season of Star Wars Rebels, which takes place I believe about 2-3 years before Ep IV. Rebels takes place 17 years after Ep III, anyway, and Luke and Leia are supposedly 19 in Ep IV.

I don't know if it was in the movie or in the novellization, but I remember Vader saying the spies killed themselves before he could interrogate them

I don't know if it was in the movie or in the novellization, but I remember Vader saying the spies killed themselves before he could interrogate them

This doesn't matter because Disney decided to ignore the expanded universe. For better and most of time worse. Novelllization are EU.

This doesn't matter because Disney decided to ignore the expanded universe. For better and most of time worse. Novelllization are EU.

The novelizzation I read was from 1978, and is based on the movie dialogs.

I don't really know if the sequence was shot and then cut or if it was never shot.

And anyway, I am happy they threw away the expended universe, it was the best thing that could happen to Star Wars (the second best thing being to invent a time machine and assassinate Lucas before he makes 1,2,3)

Edited by jeanba

The novelizzation I read was from 1978, and is based on the movie dialogs.

I don't really know if the sequence was shot and then cut or if it was never shot.

And anyway, I am happy they threw away the expended universe, it was the best thing that could happen to Star Wars (the second best thing being to invent a time machine and assassinate Lucas before he makes 1,2,3)

Nope. The EU has piles of shit (yuzhaan vongs and stuffs, all the 80's stuffs also) but very, very good things also. Especially in the pre-Empire times.

And the Galactic civil war with Imperial fragmentation and the formation and subsequent peace with the remnants is way more interesting that the satirical space nazis we now have, along with the worst vilain ever.

• Like 1

Nope. The EU has piles of shit (yuzhaan vongs and stuffs, all the 80's stuffs also) but very, very good things also. Especially in the pre-Empire times.

And the Galactic civil war with Imperial fragmentation and the formation and subsequent peace with the remnants is way more interesting that the satirical space nazis we now have, along with the worst vilain ever.

No  :minigun:  :starwars:

Edited by jeanba

I remember in the novelization Ben making a reference to a duck, to which Luke asks him "what's that?" :biggrin:

As for being correct, the novelization of ROTJ called the Emperor Palpatine, a name not heard again until Episode 1 16 years later, so that was there all along.

On the other hand, the Emperor manages to get the name of Yoda from Luke's head and asks him if he's still alive, but obviously had not heard of him unlike the prequel films where he actually duels with Yoda.

Edited by JediMaster