I was staring at the awesome DCS/Heatblur F-14 cockpit, and I was thinking that it would be great if some good willing man take care of the F-14 cockpit rearview mirror.
Unfortunately my modding knowledge is below zero...

img00001.JPG

Screenshot_2019-07-13 DCS F-14 Tomcat CASE I Carrier Landing Tutorial - YouTube.png

• Like 2

The DCS mirror is wrong. The purpose is to see behind you, not take selfies. It should be angled up a lot more.

As for SF2 mirrors, I never mess with them, but there should be some sort of ini file that specifies the viewport angle so that you can get what you want. But be warned: TK set up his views to hide areas that weren't detailed. You aren't ever going to see what you see in a DCS World mirror because SF2 won't be able to show you the cockpit or pilot in a rear view unless you modify the cockpit model and/or external model along with the associated ini files that determine the way the two interact (i.e. clipping and hidden nodes).

• Like 1

i think your F-14 mirrors are quite ok. No obstacles in view. 

As for dcs mirrors - wah no no... looks maybe cool on pic...but not effective. 

Viewport angles in SF2 are set in 3d max by mapping them on a square bitmap. Position and size set in 3ds max determine view in the game. 

18 minutes ago, streakeagle said:

The DCS mirror is wrong. The purpose is to see behind you, not take selfies. It should be angled up a lot more.

:rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well, I've been misundertood... I wasn't talking about the mirror angle, I don't care to view the pilot's helmet or things like this. I was talking about the good finishing of the DCS rearview mirrors. The SF2 F-14 cockpit is great, but the mirrors aren't so good as the DCS ones... They have angled lines and no frames, and are not consistent with the rest of the cockpit. Just that.

• Like 1

ahh...

then no big deal...

we just need max file. 

44 minutes ago, citizen67 said:

Well, I've been misundertood... I wasn't talking about the mirror angle, I don't care to view the pilot's helmet or things like this. I was talking about the good finishing of the DCS rearview mirrors. The SF2 F-14 cockpit is great, but the mirrors aren't so good as the DCS ones... They have angled lines and no frames, and are not consistent with the rest of the cockpit. Just that.

I would consider that to be 'rivet counting'...
Unless you want to direct your wish directly to TK, you will otherwise have to settle with us...And me guess there are more pressing concerns and issues and projects than the look of a mirror.
Sorry if my tone offended you or anybody else.
English is not my native language and I don't know how else to make my point.

Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, citizen67 said:

Both that pit (10 years old + ? )  and the one done by Thirdwire (pre 2012) have angles in the mirrors - mainly due to keeping the size of the 3D object down at the time to make it usable for players - whereas the DCS one can benefit from the power of a 2018 high end PC!

It does require the original 3D file to be able to redo it basically - but couldn't tell you if that is still available currently.

I mean, it would be nice a little restyling, as Guuruu did for his beautiful Tornado.

image.thumb.png.a72ee783090472b86b1ba1ca8af97edc.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, citizen67 said:

I mean, it would be nice a little restyling,

still, you will need 3dmax file. 

AFAIK, the only 3d model source code TK ever allowed to be used by modders was the stolen F-4 model. So what you really want is for an SF2 modder to build a new F-14 cockpit to higher standards than the stock Third Wire model. 

• Haha 1

Yeah, like that's gonna bloody happen!!! :lol:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, streakeagle said:

So what you really want is for an SF2 modder to build a new F-14 cockpit to higher standards than the stock Third Wire model. 

The cockpit I'm talking about is included in the TMF F-14 Tomcat Super Pack v1.32

not the stock one from SF2:NA. And I'm referring only to the rearview mirror.

Edited by citizen67

still, you will need 3dmax file.

Or convince modder who made old one to improve those parts.

Or someone who will have access to the max file can change it.

AFAIK, those max file no longer exist.

1 hour ago, Wrench said:

AFAIK, those max file no longer exist.

too bad.

The last time the cockpit 3D file was updated was about 3 years ago by its original creator, "ToS."  Haven't seen him on in a while (really since the end of 2015), and I don't know if he still has the max file or not.