Hi folks,anyone able to knock up a skin or decals for this beauty ??? I Would try but can't find decent images of the logos anywhere.This image came from an AceCombat mod...

Maverick tomcat.jpg

• Like 1

Do you have a link to the mod? IF so then the problem is that I can't open the .pak files given the native file format for Ace Combat. Or if there is a utility I can download the skin and reverse engineer the skin to make it work for a Tomcat skin. Otherwise I'd help though, looks pretty cool.

I watched this movie as a kid some 12 years ago (or something like this). What strikes me now is that Maverick's Tomcat had no USN markings. Any ideas why? They wanted not to be assiociated with the movie in any way?

I think its because nothing is ever done correct in movies regarding the military, except for movies like The Lone Survivor, and the one about Chris Kyle. Other than that movies just get it wrong and I think they were painted that way in order to be not seen as an official endorsement of a movie, or some other reason that I don't know of.

Just checked, the F-14's in the 1986 movie did have USN markings, they wore the wrong unit markings but this was deliberate.

The USN were pretty supportive of the production as they saw it as a recruiting poster.

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

16 hours ago, EricJ said:

IF so then the problem is that I can't open the .pak files given the native file format for Ace Combat. Or if there is a utility I can download the skin and reverse engineer the skin to make it work for a Tomcat skin. Otherwise I'd help though, looks pretty cool.

Internet is your friend: https://github.com/TTFH/Ace-Combat-7-Mods

Ace Combat 7 uses the Unreal Engine 4, but those .pak archives are somewhat coded, hence they made a tool to decompress those. The extracted skin files then must be hex-edited so that they can be opened as .dds textures in a painting software. I have used this for a few custom Raptor skins.

The mentioned skin of Maverick is available here: https://www.moddb.com/games/ace-combat-7/addons/f-14d-tomcat-phoenix-top-gun-maverick

However, decals are painted on the skin, and I think it won't be of much use in this case. I mean, decals will have to be remade from scratch.

13 hours ago, EricJ said:

I think its because nothing is ever done correct in movies regarding the military, except for movies like The Lone Survivor, and the one about Chris Kyle.

So true. I liked the old but gold Black Hawk Down, and more recently Dunkirk. Sure, there are inaccuracies here and there, but some movies are definitely better than others. Top Gun surely is not meant to be an accurate portrayal of the USN.

Edited by Menrva

Thanks, I didn't think the file was named that, as I tried a couple sites and didn't see it. As for decals it shouldn't be too hard to reverse engineer it, just have to see how it goes getting it unpacked.

Okay I managed to extract the file, but how do you hex edit? I tried renaming the file but that obviously didn't work. Which hex editor do you use and what are the steps?

Edited by EricJ

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Okay I managed to extract the file, but how do you hex edit? I tried renaming the file but that obviously didn't work. Which hex editor do you use and what are the steps?

I don't remember. I just found a python script which adds the .dds header to the .ubulk files, IIRC. Here's the link: https://github.com/CapitanRetraso/HEADER-7

Okay how do I use the script? Do I just run it and it'll do the headers?

4 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Okay how do I use the script? Do I just run it and it'll do the headers?

Well, where do I start? You need Python installed on your machine first, otherwise you cannot run the script. This is getting more complicated though. I have Python. I'll unpack and convert the files for you guys.

Edited by Menrva

Thanks man, I do appreciate it. Also here is the start of the skin:

img00005.JPG

Edited by EricJ

It turns out that this skin was saved as a .uexp file, not as the usual .ubulk file. In the end, after much surfing through the net, I found this tool: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LPkhshGJEJ69y_QZHSgFXRciZP-k6Oni/edit

It's very easy to use, it comes with a graphical user interface, and with it you can open the .pak files and export the .uexp file to a .TGA or .PNG image. 

Here's the Maverick skin (my attachment space is limited so I will remove it in the future): f14d_00_D.zip

With the above tool, it's easy for everyone to convert Ace Combat 7's skins anyway. I wish I had it when working on some custom F-22A Raptor skins, it really simplifies everything.

Of course, let's always give credit to the original creators of the custom Ace Combat 7 skins. Their community is made up of a lot of fantastic guys. Would be cool to get them interested in Strike Fighters 2 sometime in the future.

Edited by Menrva

Thanks man I got it so you can remove it, again thanks for the help (and was planning on crediting the author of the skin, just a matter of course).

• Like 1

Some better work. The tail insignia per the original is already low-res so I can only do so much with it, but it's something.

img00006.JPG

img00007.JPG

Thanks and now I have to dirty it up as the original is somewhat dirty as well.

Managed to figure out the tool Menrva linked and improved the tail and fuselage insignia:

img00008.JPG

img00009.JPG

img00010.JPG

img00011.JPG

58 minutes ago, EricJ said:

now I have to dirty it up as the original is somewhat dirty as well.

Not really necessary, IMHO. The custom skin in not meant to be dirty actually. The original aircraft skins of Ace Combat 7 are all weathered skins, and those making custom skins use them as a base. Ace Combat portrays aircraft used extensively in wars of a fictional universe.

2 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Managed to figure out the tool Menrva linked and improved the tail and fuselage insignia.

My bad, the image I linked above was full quality already, but you had to click on it to fully open it and download it as it was. Hence why I reuploaded the skin in a zipped form.

Anyway, glad the tool works for you. I had borrowed some of the painted insignia from the Raptor skins of AC7, and converted those to .tga decals for SF2 use.

Just now, Menrva said:

Not really necessary, IMHO. The custom skin in not meant to be dirty actually. The original aircraft skins of Ace Combat 7 are all weathered skins, and those making custom skins use them as a base. Ace Combat portrays aircraft used extensively in wars of a fictional universe.

My bad, the image I linked above was full quality already, but you had to click on it to fully open it and download it as it was. Hence why I reuploaded the skin in a zipped form.

Anyway, glad the tool works for you. I had borrowed some of the painted insignia from the Raptor skins of AC7, and converted those to .tga decals for SF2 use.

I didn't weather it too much (I can really dirty it up but it's not my call) but I'm familiar with at least some aspects (I like the jet art mainly) so cool

I will probably use it for a skin or two, maybe something else down the road but for now it helped immensely in getting it right.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By crisisloaner
      If only......UK ordered a phantom replacement in the form of F-14B's .

• By Caesar

View File TMF F-14 Tomcat Super Pack v1.32
      The Mirage Factory F-14 Tomcat Super Pack V1.32 22 APR, 2017

What it is:
      This is the F-14 Tomcat Super Pack v1.32 Full. It includes addition of Direct Lift Control to the Flight Model, AI AIM-54 Phoenix Missiles, modified Iranian F-14 loadouts and other minor adjustments.

=================

Installation:

=====CAUTION=====
      1. This was tested at July 2013 patch level, on an "All 5 Merged" install, as well as a "vanilla" SF2:NA install. Because it uses AvionicsF14A.dll, will require at least SF2:NA (or a TW F-14) to work! It will not work on Gen 1 sims, nor will it work correctly on pre-April 2012 installs! (Caveat: Avionics70.dll F-14D should work on pre-April patch levels).

2. It is HIGHLY recommended you back up your current F-14s to a back up folder. If you have extra skins installed and wish to keep your current folders, be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN to delete the cockpit folders from each aircraft folder after backing up, as this install features updated cockpits, and retention of the old folders will lead to artifacting on the RWR, VDI, and other systems. If you have custom skins installed, be sure to back up your F-14(A/A+/B/D).ini to preserve the texture set data.
      =================

1. Unzip the contents of the F-14SP_V132.7z file into a folder.

1a. If you have installed the Avionics70 F-14D, ensure you back up the .ini files if you haven't renamed the bird, since this install will overwrite F-14D_92, 96 and 06!

2. Open your Strike Fighters 2 mod folder (e.g., C:\User\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe\...)

3. CAUTION: (ONLY FOR PRE-v1.30 VERSIONS), DELETE THE PRE-1.30 COCKPIT FOLDERS!!! FAILURE TO DO SO WILL CAUSE ARTIFACTING ON THE VDI, HSD, RWR, AND POSSIBLY OTHER SYSTEMS!!!

3.a. IGNORE STEP 3 IF YOU ARE UPDATING v1.30 OR v1.31

4. Copy the contents of the unzipped Effects, Flight, Missions, Objects, and Sounds folders into your SF2 mod folder, allowing all files to overwrite (Effects, Flight, Missions, Objects\Aircraft, Objects\Weapons, etc).

4a. (RECOMMENDED) Review the flight manual for tactical employment of the F-14.

5. Go fly!

NOTE:
      If this either a new install or an update to the F-14SP v1.30 or 1.31, follow the above procedure, allowing all files to overwrite. If this is an update to 1.14-1.22, follow step 3; for in-depth instructions, follow the F-14SP V132 Installation Instructions.pdf

=================

EXTRAS:

-You may choose to use the Avionics70.dll F-14D for SAR mode on strike missions. If you wish to do so, see Section 6 of the F-14 SP Update V132 word document (Para 6.1-6.3) for install procedures and recommendations.

=================

Aircraft Included:

F-14A (1974-1984, 1982-1995, 1996-2004)
      Iranian F-14A (1977-2030)
      F-14A+ (1987-1990)
      F-14B (1991-1995, 1996-2005)
      F-14D (1992-1995, 1996-2006, 2005-2006)

=================

List of effective changes:

v1.32 22 Apr 2017

1. Added Direct Lift Control, based on Cliff7600's spoiler speedbreak mod
      2. Added AI Phoenix missiles with Rmax of 65nm to improve AI F-14 Probability of Kill
      3. Updated flight manual to reflect DLC change and AI AIM-54 (now 75pgs)
      4. Assigned White external fuel tanks to F-14A_74 and F-14A_IR (IR does not carry externals by default)
      5. Fixed White fuel tank capacity (was not adjusted with grey tank prior)
      6. Updated Iranian F-14A loadouts to better match most current data from ACIG
      7. Updated/Added Iranian AIM-7E-3 and AIM-9J models to equip Iranian F-14As
      8. Changed F-14A_IR availability date to 2030

v1.31 1 Aug 2016

1. Updated engine static thrust to match NATOPS installed measurements
      2. Updated flight manual to reflect thrust change

v1.30 11 Jun, 2016

1. Updated F-14A/B cockpit by Chris "ToS" with tweaks by Crusader & Caesar
      2. Fixed radar scan elevation in VSL-Hi
      3. Adjusted aircraft empty weights to remove gun ammo and trapped fuel
      4. Added AI F-14s to improve AI survivability in a dogfight
      5. Adjusted default gun tracking range to 1000ft/305m. Gun is now more accurate both with and without lock. (Crusader noticed & it was implemented)
      6. Adjusted auto-departure numbers to allow the aircraft to fly and depart more naturally
      7. Adjusted maximum altitude to provide player engines a buffer between 55,000 and 60,000 feet.
      8. Updated cockpit avionics & weapon symbology
      9. Updated Wing Sweep schedule and gave Glove Vanes smooth animation to match NATOPS
      10. Reduced effectiveness of ALQ-100 & 126
      11. Adjusted bands on the AN/ALR-45/50 to match published data
      12. Adjusted AoA Indexer to match NATOPS (green = slow, yellow = on-speed, red = fast)
      13. Adjusted F-14D_96 loadouts to remove extra AIM-7 loaded into Station 5 alongside AIM-54s
      14. Adjusted Sedjil pylon allowable weight (was too low to equip missile)
      15. Added inaugural cruise paint schemes for VF-1, -2, -14, -24, -32, -41, -84, -114, and -213
      16. Adjusted avionics symbology
      17. Added 74-page F-14 SP Flight Manual “F-14SP 01-F14ABD-1.pdf”
      18. Fixed ACM Panel (Crusader)
      19. Fixed F-14A_82 CAP loadout, which put the ALE-29/39 in the wrong location
      20. Fixed jettison point of ECA/EFA to forward Phoenix Station 6R to match installed location
      21. Changed skins to .jpeg format to significantly reduce size of mod without sacrificing detail
      22. Adjusted external tank fuel quantities to 1800 lbs/tank (maximum internal and external fuel together now matches real-world 19,800lbs, rather than over 20,000lbs).
      23. Adjusted engine thrust and Specific Fuel Consumption (SFC). The F110 had approximately 60% of the TF30’s SFC. The F110 was adjusted to lower SFC, while the TF30 was adjusted to increase SFC.

=================

Credits:

Model: Flying Toaster, Oli
      Cockpit: Chris (original and new update) with tweaks by Crusader and Caesar
      FM: ThirdWire, Caesar, Column5, Spectre8750, Cliff7600
      Avionics: Crusader, ThirdWire, Sup Gen, Caesar, Dave, CrazyhorseB34
      Pilots: Old_Diego, CrazyhorseB34
      Skins: Dave, Spectre8750, Column5, Caesar
      NATOPS Textures: Chris
      Extra Hangar and Loading Screens: Dave
      Ejection Mod: Stary
      Testing: Caesar, Sup Gen, Dave, EricJ, Spectre8750, Saisran, Cougar_1979
      Weapons: Ravenclaw, wpnssgt, Bunyap and others
      New Phoenix: Ravenclaw
      Manuals/Flight Manual: Caesar

===Dedidacted to Oli===
      Submitter Caesar Submitted 06/28/2016 Category F-14  
    • By Warwolf01

View File Afterburner Climax Brave Fangs
      Basen on Afterburner Climax Brave Fangs F-14D
      Submitter Warwolf01 Submitted 03/14/2015 Category F-14  
    • By Spinners

View File [Fictional] Grumman F-14A Tomcat 'COAN'
      Grumman F-14A 'COAN' for STRIKE FIGHTERS 2:NORTH ATLANTIC

This is a very simple mod of the stock Third Wire F-14A_77 to give a fictional Tomcat F-14A 'COAN' as it might have appeared in service with the Comando de Aviación Naval Argentina and includes fictional markings for the famous 2nd Escuadrilla Aeronaval de Caza y Ataque (2nd Fighter/Attack Squadron).

You must have Strike Fighters:North Atlantic for the Third Wire F-14A Tomcat and for the optional carrier.

INSTRUCTIONS

1. From the AIRCRAFT folder drag and drop the F-14A_COAN folder into your Aircraft folder.

2. From the DECALS folder drag and drop the F-14A_COAN folder into your Decals folder.

3. From the GROUND OBJECTS folder drag and drop the BernardinoRivadavia folder into your Ground Objects folder.*

4. From the PILOTS folder drag and drop the PILOT_COAN into your Pilots folder.

5. From the WEAPONS folder drag and drop the AM39 folder into your Weapons folder.

* You'll really need to add 'ArgentineNavy' to the limited nations section of the ICELANDNA_NATIONS data.ini (which you'll need to extract). Doing this yourself will allow you to align the Argentine Navy to a 'colour' of your choice.

CREDITS

As always, thanks to TK for a great little game/sim.

Thanks to Ravenclaw007 for the AM39 Exocet missile.

And thanks to everyone in the wider Third Wire community.

Regards

Spinners

Version 1 - 24/01/2015
      Submitter Spinners Submitted 01/24/2015 Category What If Hangar  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..