Sign in to follow this  
Dels

Grumman F-29A Polecat

I think that one day we can make full fictional war :biggrin:

Great work :clapping:

Wow! :biggrin: Dels, amazing work and just representation of one of the all time "what ifs"...I personally feel about this airplane like Canadians feel about (sorry, aboot) the Arrow...dropped it in the install folder and wingman and I schwacked 4x Flankers in 9 seconds! Sweet! Has to be a sweet ride if my stoopid wingman takes a shot...

The only thing I dont like about it is it did not come with a leather jacket...

...And everything 1980s about it, I assume?

Awesome Dels, thank you.

love this plane! Thx :smile:

Nice job Dels. You had me going there, trying to figure out how I missed the F-29, then finding out this is an X-plane that never made it to F production. For those new guys wanting to know a bit more about this;

The X-29 was built to explore state-of-the-art technologies in aircraft design. The most easily identified of these, the forward-swept wing, was combined with advanced materials, a forward mounted elevator (canard) and an electrical flight control system. The purpose of this combination of features was to test how well all these elements worked together before they were used in future aircraft.

Both Germany and the United States experimented with FSW aircraft during World War II but did not use them operationally. One problem with the new design was that the wings could not be made rigid enough to keep them from bending dangerously at higher speeds. In the 1970s, however, composite materials became available, and wing structures could be built that were both lightweight and very rigid.

Grumman began building the first of two X-29As in 1982. The program was administered by the USAF and jointly funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, the Air Force and NASA.

The first X-29A, the one on display at the museum, made its initial flight on Dec. 14, 1984, at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. On Dec. 13, 1985, during its 26th flight, this aircraft became the world’s first FSW aircraft to exceed the speed of sound in level flight.

After successfully completing the test program, the X-29A was retired to the museum in late 1994. The second X-29A made its first flight on May 23, 1989, and continued to perform test flights well into the 1990s.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Span: 27 ft. 2 in.

Length: 48 ft. 1 in.

Height: 14 ft. 3 in.

Weight: 17,303 lbs. maximum

Armament: None

Engine: General Electric F404 turbofan engine of 16,000 lbs. thrust

Crew: One

Serial number: 82-003

PERFORMANCE:

Maximum speed: 1,200 mph

Cruising speed: 460 mph

Maximum endurance: 60 minutes

Service ceiling: 55,000 ft.

Great work, an adventure to fly, nice cockpit, great flap & canard interaction (ok, rolling might be a bit snappier but I like it well enough the way it is......)

No touble at all landing.....

Thanks,

Derk :smile:

Edited by Kirsten

Wow!

Very nice work! Thank you!

Great model Dels, and a real blast from the past in terms of flight sims. I remember flying the old F-29 Retaliator game on my Amiga back in the day.

This is not a request by any means, but could the model be used as the basis for an F-20 Tigershark by editing the wings and stabs?

OMGOMGOMG!!!

There is a new dog-fighting king pwning the WOE skies!!! Definitely, the inverted-wing design owns the dogfighting sky... now all that's left is to match it against the Berkut and the YF-19 Excalibur to see which one's the best... But Dels, at least for now, your plane reigns supreme!!!

:worship:

I"m totally diggin it!!!

Really brings back great memories of Fighters Anthology!!

Dels, you hit it outta the park with this one! Many Thanks!

Wrench

kevin stein

Attached files update the canopy to include reflection.

Dels

F-29A.7z