About This File
Welcome To Duty
Built with the extraordinary expertise and dedication of modders from CombatACE.com, Operation Desert Storm – 30th Anniversary Edition promises to be the most complete total conversion ever made for Strike Fighters 2 by ThirdWire.
Fly with more than 50 aircraft ranging from Cold War relics to the most advanced platforms. Gain air superiority in the mighty F-15C Eagle or challenge the Coalition with the agile Fulcrum. Support troops with the A-10A Thunderbolt II, bomb strategic targets with the stealthy F-117A Nighthawk, lead airfield denial operations in the iconic Tornado.
Enjoy a beautifully rendered scenario on a scaled and accurate terrain. Fly over the lakes and rivers of Mesopotamia, the oil-rich fields of Kuwait, the mountains of Iran and Turkey. Take-off from aircraft carriers stationed in the Persian Gulf to watch over Kuwaiti oil rigs. Perform landings and patrols in more than 90 airports and air bases in the Middle East.
Take part in different campaigns including the Iraqi blitzkrieg on Kuwait and the US-led liberation of the Kuwaiti Emirate. Discover how the Iraqi Army was one of the biggest in the world, through the eyes of American, British, Canadian, French, Italian and Arab pilots. Test your skills and abilities flying for the Iraqi Air Force during all stages of the conflict.
Thirty years after, Operation Desert Storm still remains the largest air operation of modern warfare to date. Modders and flight sim enthusiasts at CombatACE teamed up to bring you a unique product in the lite flight sim world. Exquisitely detailed aircraft and paint schemes are delivered in a well-researched and thorough order of battle.
The ODS 30th AE Development team would like to thank CombatACE.com, its admins, moderators and contributors.
We are sure you will enjoy and appreciate this high-quality freeware product. From the aviation enthusiasts, to the aviation enthusiasts... and for the pilots of tomorrow.
Required products from ThirdWire:
- Strike Fighters 2
- Strike Fighters 2: Israel
- Strike Fighters 2: North Atlantic
Full support for:
- Mission Editor DLC
- Campaign Customizer DLC
- OS: Windows 7 x86
- Processor: Dual Core 2.7 GHz
- Memory: 4.0 GB RAM
- Hard Drive: 17.0 GB Free Space
- Video Card: 1024 MB DirectX 10
CombatACE.com shall at all times retain ownership of the Software as originally downloaded by you and all subsequent downloads of the Software by you. The Software (and the copyright, and other intellectual property rights of whatever nature in the Software, including any modifications made thereto) are and shall remain the property of CombatACE.com and of the respective developers/modders.
In no event, unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, shall CombatACE.com, or any person be liable for any loss, expense or damage, of any type or nature arising out of the use of, or inability to use this installer or program, including, but not limited to, claims, suits or causes of action involving alleged infringement of copyrights, patents, trademarks, trade secrets, or unfair competition.
Beware, the mod is available only in the ISO format. You can either mount it on a virtual drive, burn it on a DVD like in the good old days, or unzip it with 7-Zip or equivalent software.
The installer should automatically detect your Strike Fighters 2 installation folder. Make sure that the installation path points to your Strike Fighters 2 game folder, not to a custom mod folder. The installer does not allow you to choose a custom mod folder path at this time. The mod folder will be installed automatically in the proper "X:\Users\YourName\Saved Games\ThirdWire\" path, like any other mod folder created by TW's stock Strike Fighters 2 games. After installation is over, simply run the mod by using the created Desktop and/or Start Menu links.
If you have the previous 0.9.0 version installed, please use the uninstaller to remove it completely. Clean installation is mandatory for version 0.9.5. You might want to make a backup of the Controls folder, so that you can easily restore your controller settings afterwards.
What's New in Version 0.9.5
- Removed all helicopters and related files from the mod, moved them to a future add-on.
- Removed unused cockpits for AI-only aircraft (B-52G, C-130s, C-160F, S-3s).
- Removed shadows from pilot and seat 3d models for more performance and less rendering bugs.
- Removed legs meshes/nodes from cockpit 3d models having them, for quality consistency.
- Removed music track from the Award screen; it can be heard by accessing awards from the Medal List screen.
- Removed Hebrew markings on the starboard nose from the F-15 RSAF skins, thanks to yakarov79 for noticing it.
- Removed nose arts and relative names from the EF-111A aircraft, as they are not correct for the Gulf War.
- Removed custom destroyed models for aircraft in favor of stock ones where proper, for quality consistency.
- Changed some Effects textures with different ones always made by Stary.
- Changed first two selectable pilot pics, to be generic ones for both sides of the conflict.
- Cleaned up Weapons folder, standardized LOD and shadow distance values, overall bug fixes.
- Cleaned up aircraft folders of unused textures and fixed distance LOD textures for the A-10A.
- Cleaned up Pilots folder of duplicates, standardized LOD and shadow distance values for better performance.
- Cleaned up cockpit folders of any unused textures, converted many cockpit textures to JPEG.
- Added Arabic speech audio files and proper call signs for Iraqi AI pilots, provided by GKABS, with tweaks by guuruu.
- Added a decent amount of unique prop and jet engine sounds for use by many aircraft, by guuruu.
- Added SoundList properties to many aircraft audio files missing specific entries.
- Added different Loading music, an ambient music track from DID's F-22 Total Air War.
- Added major weapon and aircraft loadout and ECM improvements by yakarov79, dtmdragon and guuruu.
- Added missing Search and Sight .tga textures referenced by aircraft data to the Flight folder.
- Added Mirage 2000EAD/RAD aircraft with brand new skins, and relative UAE units added to the campaign data.
- Added Mirage F1BQ aircraft as released by the Mirage F1 Team.
- Added Su-7BMK aircraft with tweaks by paulopanz and cockpit 3d model by Stary.
- Added C-9 aircraft by Veltro2k with USN, USMC and Kuwaiti skins by daddyairplanes.
- Added VC10 K.2 aircraft by Veltro2k and yakarov79, with flight model tweaks by baffmeister.
- Added P-3C Orion aircraft by Florian with data tweaks, skins and decals by Viper63a.
- Added TNC-45 fast attack boat made by GKABS, with specific tweaks for ODS.
- Added FPB-57 patrol boat made by GKABS, with specific tweaks for ODS.
- Added Crotale, M113, M113 ACAV, M163 and M577 by GKABS, with specific tweaks for ODS.
- Added Challenger 1 tank created by guuruu, removed Chieftain Mk.11 placeholder.
- Added Chieftain Mk.5 tank made by GKABS, with skins by compufat.
- Added P-40 Long Track radar ground object created by yakarov79.
- Added FV101 Scorpion, M109 and a stand-in V-150 ground object, all with desert skins.
- Added new M2/M3 Bradley APCs by guuruu, with bug fixing provided by GKABS.
- Added more detailed Jaguar aircraft 3d models by yakarov79, made thanks to Sundowner's source files.
- Added latest 3d model for the Il-76 by Veltro2k, compatible with previous skins by paulopanz.
- Added brand new skins, decals, bump maps and damage textures to all USN Hornets, by yakarov79.
- Added Bahraini skin and decals by Viper63a for the F-5E, added relative unit to the campaign data.
- Added proper 5-digit serials and relative decals for the MiG-29A, by paulopanz.
- Added much improved data for all MiG-25 aircraft, by Crusader.
- Added accurate avionics and data update for all Mirage 2000s, by Crusader.
- Added more accurate canopy glass tint for all F-16C aircraft, by dtmdragon.
- Added missing seat texture for the L-39C/ZO aircraft and cockpit 3d models.
- Added better stand-in cockpit for the A-4KU/TA-4KU, the Kfir one modified by Nyghtfall, further repainted.
- Added Canadian pilot LOD for the CF-18A, thanks to dtmdragon for noticing it.
- Added some brand new terrain TODs by baffmeister and custom SAM site tiles by yakarov79.
- Added custom GreenTVFilter textures to each aircraft cockpit referencing one.
- Added missing loadout.tga files for recently added heavy aircraft, by Viper63a.
- Added latest version of the realSKY mod with all of its environment tweaks and textures.
- Added tweaked Wind values by VonS to the environment data, as suggested by Stick.
- Added StartWeather statements to campaign data, as suggested by Stick.
- Added single missions about the Battle of Al-Khafji, recreated by Stick.
- Added new Scramble/Instant Action mission using a different, better-looking bonus terrain (thanks to gerwin for the help).
- Added single mission featuring balloons as targets, using the old, previous bonus terrain from the first release.
- Added better water bump map effect using an older texture created by luk1978.
- Added photorealistic Faylakah Island and Kharg Island tiles by tiopilotos to the main terrain.
- Improved Mirage F1CK and F1CK-2 with the latest data, cockpit and aircraft 3d models.
- Improved OV-10D textures using higher quality ones from the original FSX add-on.
- Improved 1977Frenchie's skins for the USN Hornet aircraft, by Viper63a.
- Improved Viper63a's skins for the F-15 aircraft, by dtmdragon.
- Improved 1977Frenchie's decals for all F-14s and added grill detail to their skins, by RustyKurnass.
- Improved textures of low-poly ground objects, repainted or created desert skins where needed.
- Improved movement routes for Armed Recon, Anti-Ship and CAS missions.
- Improved Mission Radius values for some aircraft to increase realism of campaign missions, by dtmdragon.
- Improved Mission Rate values for units in campaigns; more realistic number of missions assigned, faster campaign playthrough.
- Improved ground order of battle for the Invasion of Kuwait campaign, now it should work properly.
- Repainted Mirage 2000C cockpit by YEYEYE so that it features more realistic colours.
- Repainted Jaguar A and Jaguar GR.1 cockpits so that they look better and more detailed.
- Repainted F-15E cockpit, alleviated issue due to bad mapping of front canopy glass.
- Fixed missing cockpit textures in some instances, standardized "mirror off" textures for all cockpit 3d models.
- Fixed crash to desktop when flying with AI-only aircraft by activating the FlyAll=TRUE cheat in Options.ini.
- Fixed data files and some cockpit files (A-6s and F-111s), to remove low-poly pilots from cockpit view.
- Fixed issues due to canopy glass aircraft textures not being placed inside each skin folder.
- Fixed missing RWR data and radar distance values for many ground objects, by guuruu.
- Fixed missing RWR sounds for the F-4G and A-7E, thanks to Viggen for reporting it.
- Fixed MiG-29A mission types and fixed weapon stations so that the AA-10 is loaded correctly.
- Fixed ALQ-167/Phoenix rack assemble not showing up in the F-14A/F-14A+ aircraft, by RustyKurnass.
- Fixed pilot 3d model issue in the A-10A/OA-10A aircraft data.
- Fixed Su-22M3 having broken avionics due to using Avionics70.dll instead of Avionics60.dll.
- Fixed avionics issues reported by RustyKurnass on the F/A-18A Hornet.
- Fixed wrongly referenced radar avionics textures for all Hornet aircraft.
- Fixed wrong afterburner effect for the F-7M, now it's the same used on the F-7B and MiG-21s.
- Fixed unusual bug discovered by RustyKurnass about weapon racks in campaigns, with help by yakarov79.
- Fixed Su-20/22 flight model issues thanks to baffmeister.
- Fixed OV-10A/D flight model issues and improved prop textures, by guuruu.
- Fixed decal bleeding issues on the tail of all F-15s, by Viper63a.
- Fixed ARM stations' coordinates for all Hornet aircraft, by yakarov79.
- Fixed annoying campaign bug; missing ForceID=2 for Iraqi's 5th Squadron caused many sorting issues.
- Fixed VA-115 unit being aboard the wrong carrier in the campaign and added missing VA-155 unit to it.
- Fixed wrong parking spot locations for the Kuwaiti airbases, thanks to Viggen for reporting it.
- Fixed numerous bugs in the terrain's target areas, removed all objects from (neutral) Iranian cities.