Sign in to follow this  
Erik

How the heck did you come up with that?

Alright alright ... I give up!

For the past year and half I've been trying to figure out how the heck some of you guys come up with your display name. I see guys like Fates, Buff, Ruggbutt, Nhengo and the list goes on and on. You guys are just more creative than me I guess.

Tell us what your name means or maybe where it comes from. I'm sure there's some funny stories that go along with them.

Erik

Guest 531_Ghost

Well, mine's kinda twofold. I was looking for information on my old Marine squadron, VMFA-531 Grey Ghosts. What I found was a Jane's F/A 18 squadron as well. Well, I e-mailed, at that time the "Skipper", Gator, wondering what they were all about. As some of you may know they were an online squadron flying through the Hyperlobby almost every night of the week. I joined them as the only member that actually served with VMFA-531. My original callsign I used was the one I was tagged with when I was in 531, Junior. Well, a corrupted install of Jane's F/A 18, allowed me to see others online, but, they couldn't see me. That could've come in handy actually :wink: From then on, I was a Ghost.

Nesher (נשר) means Eagle in Hebrew :)

Well my callsign is two fold as well. First, I love F-16's..enuff said. Second, when I first started playing sims, I had a tough time of thinking of a callsign. When the GI Joe movie was around, there was a character named "Lt. Falcon" (Duke's brother). I probably watched that stupid movie way too much. Anyway when Origin's Wing Commander was released I put "Falcon" as my callsign and it has been ever since then.

Falcon

Edited by FalconCAF

USAFMTL

US Air Force Military Training Leader...it was my last job before I switched to command and control.

Guest Saganuay82

Mine as some have picked up have a couple of spellings. Saganuay and Saguanay. Should have paid a little more attention making them I guess. :) The actual spelling is Saguenay which is a river in Quebec.

I used it as a name cause it was one of the tactical callsigns of the CF188s from CFB Bagotville. They were on exercise with us after I was qualified as a shipborne air controller. The 82 was the last 2 numbers of my ship at the time , HMCS Athabaskan DDH 282.

That's cool Ghost :good:

All right, I'll play too.

Mine was given to me by a couple of friends/former co-workers just before I started flying in Warbirds VF-17 The Jolly Rogers.... 8X btw. They could have come up with a lot worse, so I kept it and started using it in Warbirds. It started with me getting hired as a Civil Service Technition in the Ky ANG. The person I was replacing had retired, and had the nickname "Hondo" due to his like for the John Wayne western. Hondo was the primary painter in the shop since no one else prior to me liked to do the painting. That is where the "DO" part comes from. My one co-worker started calling me "JoeDo" to set Hondo and I apart just before he retired when it looked promising that I would get interviewed for Hondo's job. I started spending a lot of time in the paint booth when Hondo leftand after a few weeks JoeDo, became transformed to Doyo.

I was drinking a lot of DrPepper at the time, mostly for the caffine to stay awake in the afternoon with our work schedule (06:00-16:30) and the fact that my drive was 1 hour each way. Now, as my luck would have it, my friends were fishing in a tournament together, not catching anything and with a boat stocked with a couple of cases of DrPepper for the week long event. My best friend says to the other "Hand me a drdoyo" and thus you have it.

Not a flashy background, but one I can live with when faced with what "friends" could have come up with :blink:

Edited by drdoyo

Mine's probably one of the easiest....been in automotive since 1977, either as a technician (mechanics got an upgrade when vehicle computers came out) or shop manager.

Hence, 'The Wrench'. Had it like forever, all the way back to the old Janes' Green Board.

Wrench

Kevin Stein

Tank is the dog's name; kind of an Indiana Jones-thing going on. He's named after Tatanka (Buffalo/Bison) from the Dances With Wolves movie. My wife and I happened to be at a bison preserve in Alaska when we decided to get him, so that's where his name came from. 03 is the year he was born. I can't remember why I ever decided to use his name as my online ID. I think because I'm a bit dimwitted at times so I needed something I wouldn't easily forget.

post-6158-1182184280_thumb.jpg

Tank is the dog's name; kind of an Indiana Jones-thing going on. He's named after Tatanka (Buffalo/Bison) from the Dances With Wolves movie. My wife and I happened to be at a bison preserve in Alaska when we decided to get him, so that's where his name came from. 03 is the year he was born. I can't remember why I ever decided to use his name as my online ID. I think because I'm a bit dimwitted at times so I needed something I wouldn't easily forget.

"You are named after the dog!" LOL

Mine comes from the great white north maybe a little south in Minnesota. Always bought Arctic Cat snowmobiles Which are made in Thief River Falls Minnesota. The model was always an EXT. Friends used to call it boring that I would keep buying the same model just an updated version!

Big Ugly Fat Fellow (the polite version) - a pretty fair description :wink:

I couldn't think of a name so I took mine from a callsign in Full Metal Jacket.

HrntFixr= I worked/taught hornets for half my Navy career.

My FPS game name as well as other forums is Dorkusgrate.....

everyone used to ask me where i got that, I'd tell them it was latin.... meaning powerful leader. :rofl:

What it really was..... my ex used to call me a great dork for all the gaming I did. Guess thats why she's an EX. :good:

HrntFixr= I worked/taught hornets for half my Navy career.

My FPS game name as well as other forums is Dorkusgrate.....

everyone used to ask me where i got that, I'd tell them it was latin.... meaning powerful leader. :rofl:

What it really was..... my ex used to call me a great dork for all the gaming I did. Guess thats why she's an EX. :good:

Yeah I killed you a couple of times too!!!

My name of course!!!

I'll preface this conversation by saying that if you spotted me in a crowd and screamed out "rugg" or "ruggbutt", I'd turn around. It's been my nickname since 1989. Anyhow, I used to a rocker dude in the 80's thru the mid 90's and I had hair down to my waist. But that's not why I got the nick. I used to date a stripper I met when we were in Las Vegas and she came up with the nickname.

You see, when I was in my late teens I used to get kicked out of public pools cuz the lifeguards kept telling me to take off my sweater. :biggrin: I don't have back hair but I got lots on my chest, legs, arms, face and you guessed it: my butt. So Vicky (the stripper) and I were hanging w/one of my buds (who's now a lawyer) and we were just chatting. I was wearing a button down shirt and the fir was visible and my lawyer bud said it looked like shag carpet on my chest. Vicky said my hind end looked like that too. She said it looked like a rug she used to have and my nick was born.

During the first half of the 90's I started shooting combat matches semi-professionally and we had shirts made for our team. We called the team SHF Tactical (which was short for "suicidal hippie f**k's with guns". We all had nicknames and once the shirts were printed my name was permanent. It's better than some the guys got. Soupboy, Bo-Bo, Caveman, Fishbelly, Zero-T (tolerance) to name a few. In a moment of temporary insanity I actually checked into changing my first name to "Rugg".

Yeah I killed you a couple of times too!!!

My name of course!!!

really??? and what game would that have been?

Battlefield 2 or 2142 I think???

I am not sure

Guest Saganuay82

Oh I thought you were Gerald and 14 years old.

The military aircraft I've been fully qualified in have all been supersonic capable.

I fly for a major overnight freight company in my civilian job.

Thats about as simple as it gets...

FastCargo

PS Now, what my military bros call me (my callsign) is a different story...and no, I ain't tellin!

Oh I thought you were Gerald and 14 years old.

LOL :rofl:

really I wanted just Gerald but I tried all the numbers and 14 came up :biggrin:

Super61 was the first Blackhawk shot down in Somalia. It's just my own personal dedication to CWO's Cliff "Elvis" Wolcott, Donovan "Bull" Briley, and crew.

Battlefield 2 or 2142 I think???

I am not sure

well it wasn't me, never played either of those. cuz if it was, the outcome would have been much different.

Typhoid was and remains my callsign.

I got tagged with that when my squadron went into an ORI and I went down on the sicklist with bronchitis. The callsign stuck.