Sign in to follow this  
Mannie

What's the best way to kill a mig?

Well... I thought of putting it in the "How do you like your mig" topic, but since I didn't take any screenshot from the action, (didn't think anything is going to come out of this)

So I only took a shot of the after action log.

Said to meself, hey, why not. make a new topic. :yes:

so, if you have any other crazy way of killing a Mig (or SU) please pic them and put them here.

A2AGBU.jpg

Hope you like it. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Well... I thought of putting it in the "How do you like your mig" topic, but since I didn't take any screenshot from the action, (didn't think anything is going to come out of this)

So I only took a shot of the after action log.

Said to meself, hey, why not. make a new topic. :yes:

so, if you have any other crazy way of killing a Mig (or SU) please pic them and put them here.

A2AGBU.jpg

Hope you like it. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

A GBU? Now that is funny! Keep pounding 'em baby! :good::ok:

Wasn't there an F15 in Gulf War I that did that to an Iraqi helicopter? You would have no clue it was even coming... You'd just be gone...

Guest Saganuay82

I have used guns, missiles, ramming and running them into the ground but never before with a GBU. Well, a salvoe of rockets or a line of bombs when they are lining up to take off is always fun too.

there's some nice footage from the GW of a Buccaneer taking out a taxiing transport with an LGB

Hell, Mannie, you're just showing off the "Israeli Lesson" as taught in the 6 Day War.

Q: How to you destroy the enemy air force?

A: Kill them on the ground!

As to the GW GBU vs Helo kill, I thought it was an A-10?

Like Sag said, I like to make the CFIT...makes them look stoopid.

Wrench

kevin stein

*CFIT= Controled Flight Into Terrain

Hell, Mannie, you're just showing off the "Israeli Lesson" as taught in the 6 Day War.

Wrench

kevin stein

You're thinking of the 30mm kill of a Iraqi copter in the first GW. A F-15E targeted a Iraqi copter and launched a GBU as the copter took off. This happened in the first GW too.

Falcon

I've had Mig kills with AGM-65s but GBUs?!?

The best I did was taking down a Colt with a missile from my OV-1.

(Of course I shot almost all of them before going bullseye)

LoL

sometimes on IL-2 i shoot down bombers with conventional bombs O.o

LoL

sometimes on IL-2 i shoot down bombers with conventional bombs O.o

LOL...I'll have to try that.

Wrench

kevin stein

No no no Kevin. if you take a look again in my mission log you will see that we were in the middle of a dogfight already.

Thay whern't on a runway.

Actully thay were at 7000 ft when I saw them on there way to Israel to do some demage. I was flying a kurnas2000 and was left with two GBU's I had nothing to do with, after mission accomplished striking a bridge over the river jordan.

I have climbed to 24000 ft and came from behind them. ( on there six and high )

I had my radar locked on one of them and fired...well...wanted to fire an AMRAAM, but forgot to swich to A2A Missiles.

Well, the GBU just followed the flogger untill thay met down below.

One thing I can tell you. there was nothing much left from the flogger in the big KABOOM. :rofl:

It actually fired? had you edited the weapondata.ini?

It was an F-15E who dropped a GBU through a Hind in the Desert Storm.

http://www.af.mil/news/airman/0603/firsts.html

"In one of the most unusual air-to-air victories ever, Capt. Tim Bennett and Capt. Dan Bakke of the 4th Tactical Fighter Wing at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C., shoot down an Iraqi helicopter — probably an Mi-24 “Hind” — with a GBU-10 2,000-pound laser-guided bomb launched from their F-15E Strike Eagle."

I got fragged once by my wingman with bombs.

We were Tornado GR1s doing an airfield strike in a NATO Fighters campaign. Target was the runway so a few miles from target I tell my wingie to hit my target and then roll away from him so I can make a run down the centreline with my 1,000 pounders while he comes in perpendicular to drop his stick of bombs across the runway.

To cut a long story short, I'm running in low and fast and just getting ready to pickle when my plane blows up! It was only when reading the debrief that I found out that I got killed by my own guy.

And so ended the first mission of my campaign!

It actually fired? had you edited the weapondata.ini?

No. I've done nothing with the INI's, for some reason it workes.

I can release air to ground loads while radar is in air to air mode.

don't realy know why, but hey, its a lot of fun... I got to admit that. :biggrin:

Allen. you realy can't tell what your wingie will do, life or game. :blink:

Dave, its the first I hear of it. funny.

What are the chances of hiting an aircraft (or a helo) with a GBU in real life?

<S>

Edited by MannieB.

It was an F-15E who dropped a GBU through a Hind in the Desert Storm.

http://www.af.mil/news/airman/0603/firsts.html

"In one of the most unusual air-to-air victories ever, Capt. Tim Bennett and Capt. Dan Bakke of the 4th Tactical Fighter Wing at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C., shoot down an Iraqi helicopter — probably an Mi-24 "Hind" — with a GBU-10 2,000-pound laser-guided bomb launched from their F-15E Strike Eagle."

Yep, they can load the '15 up with as many Iron buckets of sunshine as they want, but it's still an air-to-air plane. I once took out a MiG-17 and a TU-22 with maverics, but no screenshot. Also, if I have an extra sparrow after a fighter sweep, I allways take out a flak cannon or a ship with it.

Edited by Rambler 1-1

Hitting a hovering helo with an LGB is no different from hitting any other target...it's when the target moves that trouble arises. Firing at a moving target will quickly cause the bomb to run out of energy and it could fall short, although if the helo is low and slow enough the blast could still take it out. :wink:

So, chances are dependent pretty much on helo speed.

Or you could have a flight of B-52's carpet bomb the ENTIRE base(s) at night while everone was sleep thus removing them before they ever turned on the engines! :ok:

P.S. It was just a thought. lol

Ahh, the 60's. Dateline Cuba, OTC. Poor quality missiles and no gun. What's an aggressive fighter pilot to do when the last missile sold to the Navy by the lowest bidder leaves the rail and goes dumb while he's surrounded by Cuban Migs? ......throw stones, ot the next best thing. Those big long things under the outer wings have been dry for some time, they're useless...... or are they?

Death by Drop Tank :haha::biggrin:

Yeah, I know you can't see the tanks but the damage to the nose was from the MiG exploding. I was a bit surprised it actually worked :good:

What sims is this and are you using any mods?

I have 2 installs on my PC, the one the pic is from is a WOE install patched, and dedicated to the Operation Tainted Cigar V2.0 mod. The only additional mods I have in that install are various photorealistic cockpits and I think those are only limited to the F-4 Phantom series

Yeah, I know you can't see the tanks but the damage to the nose was from the MiG exploding. I was a bit surprised it actually worked :good:

You were surprised? I bet it pales in comparison to the MiG driver's surprise! :biggrin:

Lol, I've done that before, but I rippled of all twelve at once. It's funny watching a "squadron" of bombs chase a MiG through the air. IRC, they actually gained altitude when the target was above them. I don't think anyone programed the smart bombs to actually fall when released because no one expected them to be used on anything but ground targets; they just home in on the selected target.

Lol, I've done that before, but I rippled of all twelve at once. It's funny watching a "squadron" of bombs chase a MiG through the air. IRC, they actually gained altitude when the target was above them. I don't think anyone programed the smart bombs to actually fall when released because no one expected them to be used on anything but ground targets; they just home in on the selected target.

Right you are.