Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Here We Go Again.....

The Nimitz should of ripped that bomber to shreds with it Phalanx gun and show'em whos boss.

The interesting part to me is this:

As the bombers got about 500 miles out from the U.S. ships, four F/A-18 fighters were launched from the Nimitz, the official said. The fighters intercepted the Russian bombers about 50 miles south of the Nimitz.

They intercepted them only 50 miles out?

The interesting part to me is this:

They intercepted them only 50 miles out?

Yeah i found that quite interesting also. If still had tomcats they probably would of intercepted them earlier.

I think it is safe to assume that this is the old normal for carrier and other maritime ops going forward.

Honestly, I think it is a disgrace that they get that close before picking up their shadows though.

I wonder what would have happened if one of those old Tu-95's had a "bomb-bay failure" and released its payload flat out on the carrier... I mean, with a dead run over the carrier, even conventional bombs would do it...

Cant believe they let it fly low over the actual carrier - no point in intercepting it if thats true

Edited by CoolHand29

My guess is with the current world situation they don't bother to intercept it until it gets closer. Sort of like asking how close they let Japanese or Saudi planes get...they don't consider them a real threat so they don't do anything until they get very close.

Guest 531_Ghost

Typing as one that's "been there done that", the Bear/s that "fly over" the carrier didn't actually fly "over" the carrier. They flew as I'm sure this one did, fly port of the carrier, to get a better look, Im guessing. What would've happened if the bomb bays opened? Well back then they would've got a missile from one of our F4 Phantoms as our ship had no Phalanx system. That said, I was able to ward off a Russian "fishing boat" with a few cans of MIL-L-23699 and a Phantom in afterburner. :smile:

Hell they didn't need to fly that close to get a close "look", there's enough resources online to get an ORBAT. It's probably Putin's way of saying that he's still around and Iraq/Afghanistan isn't the only concern anymore. As to TTP.... true a Tomcat would have gotten there faster, but why bother wasting the fuel? Let the old clunker come to them.. I'm sure even back in the day they didn't just go after the Tu-95 full burner, picked up a wheel, and once visual, moved in on them. THere's enough radar traces and old procedures around that it's going to be more routine... unfortunately but we'll see as always.

OH CRUD!

now that the F-14s are gone, the soviets see that they can now get in closer to the US NAVY's ships! This was just a test run, obviously. But I think the soviets see that the F-18, no matter how upgraded, is no match for a backfire or a blackjack with cruisers. Or at least not as much of a match as an F-14D.

maybe they were just checking to make sure the amaericans REALLY took out all the tomcats.

But I think the soviets see that the F-18, no matter how upgraded, is no match for a backfire or a blackjack with cruisers.

I'd be more scared of the Backfire-Cs then the Blackjacks in Naval combat.

yeah, but I couldn't remember which was which, and i was too lazy to look it up. :tongue:

Edited by Rambler 1-1

back to the good old days!

old hat and quite routine. The Russians and us used to play this very serious game for a long, long time. I've somewhere over 50 intercepts and counting the aircraft intercepted/tracked would be several hundred.

and yes, they would and will again fly directly over the ship.

ops normal.

When they start to fly under the ship is when we should worry. :wink:

I think it`s not so dramatic as it seems, the russian bomber crews wanted to see the Tomcat for the last time but nobody told them the last tomcat flight was month ago... so it`s sad

cheers

I hate to think what kind of state the Bears might be in, given their age and Russian defence finances.

Here's a shot of one of Ark Royal's Phantoms saying hello............. and Ark Royal was scrapped some thirty years ago.

PhantomBear.jpg

I think it`s not so dramatic as it seems, the russian bomber crews wanted to see the Tomcat for the last time but nobody told them the last tomcat flight was month ago... so it`s sad

cheers

Hmm...maybe Topgun has just been released on DVD over there !

"Hey Comrade Kapitan Voslov, you never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your fingertips" :biggrin:

I hate to think what kind of state the Bears might be in, given their age and Russian defence finances.

actually they are in pretty good shape. the Russians produced a late model batch in the late '80's and have decommissioned all of their old ones. So the remaining ones are relatively new, haven't been used much, but even when the funding tanked through the floor the LRA had the priority for funding. So those aircraft are actually in very good condition.

as you can see in this shot.....

as compared to this old, ancient beast...

Edited by Typhoid

actually they are in pretty good shape. the Russians produced a late model batch in the late '80's and have decommissioned all of their old ones.

Ah!, that makes sense. I had visions of flight crew being given something of a death sentence, flying decades old rust buckets.

A common misconception of the Russian Air Force.