Sign in to follow this  
Bongodriver

pic of a British aircraft in development

Damn Craig, you keep making me look bad.

I've gotta get out of college and get a real job so that I have enough free time to do that.

It's actually quite simple, a component can be animated in two animation slots, so the pivot for the main gear bogey has a function for retraction and as a shock, this is actually quite a complex gear and I didn't know if my idea would work, but it seems to work well enough, one small saccrifice I had to accept was as the aircraft lifts the trailing wheel slightly sinks into the ground as the shock animation kicks in.

Sounds good mate, to avoid the sinking, I guess you'll just have to pull off a full speed rotate like this...

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/BAC-TSR-2/0747978/L/

Thinking about that in fact, would it be possible to avoid the sinking by reporting all 4 main wheels in the gear section of the data.ini? Maybe the min-max extensions points might help to solve it. Not sure how this work, but would be cool to get done. Can then be implemented on similar aircraft, like the viggen.

Thinking about that in fact, would it be possible to avoid the sinking by reporting all 4 main wheels in the gear section of the data.ini? Maybe the min-max extensions points might help to solve it. Not sure how this work, but would be cool to get done. Can then be implemented on similar aircraft, like the viggen.

All 4 main wheels are reported in the ini, the animation I think overides all entries in the ini, and to be honest the effect is so short lived that it is probably acceptable, not sure how the min max extents would affect this so I will try that.

Oky doke, was just thinking out loud here, would be cool to have this storming along low level in a gulf war conflict.

I will see if I can get a fraps capture of the gear sequence and post it here.

It's actually quite simple, a component can be animated in two animation slots, so the pivot for the main gear bogey has a function for retraction and as a shock, this is actually quite a complex gear and I didn't know if my idea would work, but it seems to work well enough, one small saccrifice I had to accept was as the aircraft lifts the trailing wheel slightly sinks into the ground as the shock animation kicks in.

in other words, besides making the gear open and close..you mad a second animation for the lower part of the gear to pivot down?

in other words, besides making the gear open and close..you mad a second animation for the lower part of the gear to pivot down?

Yes basically, the same component is animated twice, once for retraction and second for shock stroke. will have a vid of the sequence on take off shortly.

Actually I just realised I am confusing things, I actually changed the sequence I am talking about, my first model attempt I had exactly the sequence I am talking about, one mesh animated twice, I have to say I did change that so that 2 meshes now complete the sequence, I changed it because I was unhappy with a lack of detail in the original, and when I changed it I thought I may as well split the animation between components.

To shorten the above edit, both versions gave the same effect.

Edited by craigbrierley

Ok heres a quick vid of my gear retraction sequence

And a vid of the real thing with a section showing the retraction sequence

Marvellous !

Looks amazing so far.

Even if it did not pass the Government, it still lives in fiction (there is an anime about these birds being used to blast meteors apart at high altitude).

Someone should come up with a good service name. TSR-2 sounds rather antiseptic for an RAF jobbie.

Oh God, not this again.

Definitely something with GR.1 (and additional lettering to denote the mission profiles of the TSR-2) on the back though.

Well me ans Sundowner have discussed the possible name for it, and I think we have found one, keep it under wraps for now untill were sure.

I was too young to remember the political shenanigans but this contemporary cartoon sums things up.

TSR2AirPicFeb650001.jpg

There's been many books written about this fantastic strike aircraft but I can thoroughly recommend the TSR.2 chapter in Bill Gunstons "Attack Aircraft Of The West" and, indeed, that entire book. I read that book as an aviation mad teenager in the mid-70's and became a life-long TSR.2 fan.

The TSR.2 wasn't perfect, and there was probably lots of heartache to come in the development programme, but it was a damn sight better than it's contemporaries and 'on paper' successors.

The aircraft modelling community went wild when Airfix released a model kit of it a few years ago and the £18 kits regularly sell for well over £60 on ebay and there is also a massive 'what-if' modelling and GCI scene associated with this superb aircraft.

I'm getting moist in anticipation...

I am trying to think hard what the aircraft that Brown's character is hacking up, looks awfully like a C-17, is there something I don't know?(probably actually :biggrin: )

I'm getting moist in anticipation...
:blink::blink::blink: .....EEEEWWWWGGGGHHHHH!!!!! :rofl:

Yes that pic sums up what the goverment did and continues to do to our country, and they don't give us the courtesy of a reach around.

Craig, that's a AW 681 (or HS 681 as written on it).

It was one of numerous insane projects of the 60's to have nearly everything VTOL, including tactical transport planes, the AW 681 was the british entry in the category, supposed to be using, IIRC, variants of the Harrier's reactors to obtain VTOL capabilities.

:blink: Craig, I can hardly wait for this aircraft. Thank you so very much. :yes:

This is a great and rare bird!

man i love your work ! *.*

going a bit offtoppic...

...one of the best videos i ever watched at youtube...and the song is pretty cool :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7JAYHHsVU8

Edited by Silverbolt

Craig,SUPER! :ok:

Well, I hope you and Ant come up with a suitably 'British' name. The naming of names is most important...look at the tradition of excellent names from the UK .. Spitfire, Mosquito, Hurricane, Merlin...oh, yeah better be somethign good!

I'll revamp the screens this weekend, and have something for you. Just want to clean up a few things. There's 2 Loading screens to choose from; one a 3view, and Richard Thompson's painting 'Before the Axe Fell'

Wrench

kevin stein

"Silver Lady" will be mine nickname for TSR2 when released.

I'm also considering > Zephyr

"Zephyros" -> The ancient Greek name for the west wind, which generally light and beneficial. It has evolved into "zephyr" which denotes a soft gentle breeze.

Wasn't it originally to be offically named "Eagle"?

Wasn't it originally to be offically named "Eagle"?

I've heard that mentioned several times but I don't think there's any positive confirmation.

My dedicated anti-shipping version based at RAF Lossiemouth would be designated Barracuda S.1.