Sign in to follow this  
Bongodriver

pic of a British aircraft in development

I've heard that mentioned several times but I don't think there's any positive confirmation.

My dedicated anti-shipping version based at RAF Lossiemouth would be designated Barracuda S.1.

Barracuda?.................... How about Swordfish!

Since we're taking the Fleet Air Arm route, howz about Skua, or Roc ? Can't beat a bit of Blackburn I always say, but then I am rather biased.

Craig, that is one beautiful bird you're building. Great work, she's going to be a blast to fly.

Hmm, as far as names go, maybe Swift?

I am going to have to concur with starfighter2, Zephyr sounds righteous!

But, then again, I tried to promote Razor for the X-29, and that turned into a monumental hissy-fit, so what do I know?

:blink:

how about naming it.... Halo..... i know im gonna get grief for picking a Computer game name and the name of the BAe "Secret Stealth" aircraft... but go for it lol... also how long is the takeoff run.. in that vid you posted it seemed well long... apparently they reckon the TSR.2 could have taken off and landed on a carrier without a catapult or arrestor wires...

but then again the Swordfish was originally called the TSR.2 when it was under development.... so its strangely fitting..... my vote goes for Swordfish...

Edited by Dreamstar

STINGRAY S.1

Pilot: Troy Tempest

Nav: Phones

apparently they reckon the TSR.2 could have taken off and landed on a carrier without a catapult or arrestor wires...

Not something I,ve heard, but I will have it researched, for now were just getting the thing built, the FM is still a donor jaguar as are other bits.

Interesting to hear the name suggestions, untill we have researched what might have been it's official designation, we have in mind Tempest(II) or Tempest GR.1 poosibly, but since anything beyond the development aircraft are pure 'what if' almost anything goes.

Zephyr is good, but for me it brings images of a very old ford car.

Edited by craigbrierley

Swift would be a bad idea, a very bad idea indeed. Look up it's dire record of service history of the Supermarine Swift and you'll see what I mean. Something tells me that the TSR.2 would have had a much better life in service than the Swift.

Sending myself back to mid-60's Britain (It's Been A Hard Day's Night - yeah) then with the original Tempest being a Hawker product then I can't see BAC using that particular name!

We need Lazyboy, I believe he has a wealth of information that might just pin down what might have been in terms of names, I would just hope to avoid polling on this one for various reasons.

BAC was formed from Hunting, Bristol, English electric and Vickers Armstrong, so we could narrow down naming convention to something from any of those company's.

i still reckon since the Fairey Swordfish was originally called the TSR.2.... we should only honour its legacy :biggrin::ok:

Thunderstrike (associate with BAC's Lightning).

i still reckon since the Fairey Swordfish was originally called the TSR.2.... we should only honour its legacy :biggrin::ok:

Swordfish sounds great to me :ok:

We need Lazyboy, I believe he has a wealth of information that might just pin down what might have been in terms of names, I would just hope to avoid polling on this one for various reasons.

BAC was formed from Hunting, Bristol, English electric and Vickers Armstrong, so we could narrow down naming convention to something from any of those company's.

Well, Bristol aircraft usually had a name that started with B, Vickers with V/W.

Swordfish sounds nice, but then again it's a bit of a contradiction. Besides, I do have the impression that they British aircraft makers never reused names, so perhaps it should be something that hasn't be used so far. :wink:

Well, Bristol aircraft usually had a name that started with B, Vickers with V/W.

Swordfish sounds nice, but then again it's a bit of a contradiction. Besides, I do have the impression that they British aircraft makers never reused names, so perhaps it should be something that hasn't be used so far. :wink:

They have used names again in the past.... Tornado for example... was a Prototype made by Hawker using a Hurricane fuselage and a Rolls-Royce Vulture engine...

Yeah, but the Hawker Tornado (which was basically a twin of the Hawker Typhoon, but equipped with the RR Vulture engine) never went into service. :wink:

even so.... the name has been used before :lol::rofl:

The debate hots up but I see no real conclusion in sight, depending on how both sundowner and I feel, I may suggest this goes to poll after all, but it would work better if there was nothing more than a vote on a list of names and no discussions outside of that list IMHO, but first of all a list must be created, suggestions? I would rather take the naming of this bird outside of this particular thread and perhaps start a new one for creating the list, then a further polling thread, how does that sound?

works for me.... im not overly fussed what its called aslong as its released :biggrin:

I seem to remember the broad policy (with the occasional exception to prove the rule) was Fighter/Attack aircraft were named after meteorological phenomena e.g. Lightning, Hurricane, Typhoon (see names do get re-used), Bombers were named after cities Lancaster, Canberra or in the case of the V-bombers a seperate theme was chosen, Naval strike aircraft were named after big game fish e.g. Swordfish, Tarpon (UK name for the Avenger until we decided to stop playing silly buggers). A lot of the exceptions are from international programs where we didn't get a say in the naming, and stuff bought from overseas where they already had a perfectly good name or it hovers so we called it the Harrier.

The TSR.2 should fall in to the first group, so Zephyr would be in keeping with the theme, although a gentle breeze may not be the image we're after! Cyclone might work...

Someone should come up with a good service name. TSR-2 sounds rather antiseptic for an RAF jobbie.

:cray:

:grin:

Edited by Longestpants

well er...

Tempest

Fury

Meteor

Swift

Fulmar

There's loads of suitable names out there, some used before some not, my personal favorites are : Tempest, Thunderstrike & Swordfish, buts lets face it, this beauty never got to the official naming stage so after release you could name it whatever you like, no matter what name it carries it will always be "The TSR2".

Ant's right...why try to fix it if it's not broken.

She's the TSR2, no more, no less. An elegant lady taken before her time. Let's just be grateful that we're getting the chance to experience her.