Sign in to follow this  
Jimbib

What Did You See Today?

saw some sweet honey's sitting in the appropriately named "be*ver canyon" at Monroe & Clark in Chicago today.

I walked out of work and heard a round engine,so I looked over towards the airport(Dekalb Muni.,Dekalb,Ill.).

I saw an AT-6 converted to a Mitsubishi A-6m Zero going in to land.

I have seen several warbirds(F4f,P-51, SBD) and lots of homebuilts flying by or landing.

In case your wondering,this week is Oshkosh Airventure.(The largest airshow,military and civilian,in the U.S.

I'm about 200 miles south of there.

We're far enough from OHare(under the TCA) that the airport makes a good refueling spot.

Wife's making Brats and hotdogs on the grill. :clapping:

I saw things shaking around today... Had a magnitude 5.4 earthquake shake up life a little bit in So Cal toady.

5.4 barely a tremor or even a minor rattle. I'm still banking on Arizona becoming beach front property. Hopefully California floats.

E

5.4 barely a tremor or even a minor rattle. I'm still banking on Arizona becoming beach front property. Hopefully California floats.

E

Well, I didn't feel it, even being on the 5th level of a parking strucutre (although, I was about 40+ miles away from the epicenter). Of course, I was walking. I only noticed the lights swinging back and forth, and then people started running out of their offices and some guy yelled at me to stay away from the lights, that we're having an earthquake. Everybody else is reacting to it as if it's the end of the world though. Althought, it was first recorded as a 5.8, but then the USGS downgraded it to a 5.4. Don't know why.

They had to downgrade it server, they dont want people to know that that was the BIG ONE that everyone has been talking about for the last 20 years, lol

I saw,in order,

A doctor

some kids stealing a bike

a guy TRYING to drift in a pickup

the man after him TRYING to sound awesome in a little bitty car with a loud muffler

a realy realy old friend

History Today part one (it was hilarious so

watch it)

a kid who needs to let go of a grudge

some vids by zero punctuation

this forum

and to top it all off, my pot pie thats cooling...yum

PS its been a very odd (and honestly a bit boring somehow) day

Saw a few Yankees and a Zulu flying the pattern today.

I see Whiskeys, Yankees, and Zulus all the time... not to mention all the darn bugs too. Also see the War Pigs and Screamin Demons too (our little nicknames for Prowlers and Harriers). Oh, and that lil quake felt even smaller here... I almost didn't notice it.

Vamp

Edited by Vampyre

Today is... just a Porsche 911 GT2 on highway, Wangan Midnight-style driving. Dad's car needs new rear shocks so we went to spare parts market, then I heard loud noise of a chopper over the workshop but nowhere to be seen (thought it was a Puma though)

Edited by New Guy

I saw,in order,

A doctor

some kids stealing a bike

a guy TRYING to drift in a pickup

the man after him TRYING to sound awesome in a little bitty car with a loud muffler

a realy realy old friend

History Today part one (it was hilarious so

watch it)

a kid who needs to let go of a grudge

some vids by zero punctuation

this forum

and to top it all off, my pot pie thats cooling...yum

PS its been a very odd (and honestly a bit boring somehow) day

Hard to imagine, but itty bitty cheap cars with a loud muffler are still itty bitty cheap cars.

I get VERY irritated when I can't hear the radio in my car because someone else wants their car noise to be SO DAMNED LOUD.

If I hear your engine drowning out my music (with all my windows up, I never have them down here), your car deserves to be destroyed.

I saw a Jedi get a ticket for riding his bike on the sidewalk.

Yesterday I saw 9 Snowbirds land at our airport.

The day before that I saw a 5 ton truck get stuck on a two-inch bump.

Saw a T-55 at the local military museum that just got delivered in the last week.

must be the poor russian road maps chap must have got lost and could not afford to gas up to go home

that or we got invaded and no one told us

since I live not far from Tel-Nof AFB I usually see air activity every day.

most of the time it will be F-15 flying over my head shortly after taking off or approach landing.

Every now and then I get to see them dogfight each other or against some F-16's.

Now, what would you give to see IAF fighters dogfight right over your head? :biggrin:

Edited by Mannie

Guest 531_Ghost
I see Whiskeys, Yankees, and Zulus all the time... not to mention all the darn bugs too. Also see the War Pigs and Screamin Demons too (our little nicknames for Prowlers and Harriers). Oh, and that lil quake felt even smaller here... I almost didn't notice it.

Vamp

So that may 'splain the moniker/call sign :wink: When yer done with the Y's and Z's guess where they come :wink: Oh, and we got BUTTLOADS of W's (yawn)

We had a C17 visit today as well.

Yesterday 2 AV-8B+'s landed here at WPAFB. Man they sound different than any jet I have ever heard. They have a whistling sound on approach along with what sounded like a giant fan blowing. Not like any fighter you have heard before.

Guest 531_Ghost
Yesterday 2 AV-8B+'s landed here at WPAFB. Man they sound different than any jet I have ever heard. They have a whistling sound on approach along with what sounded like a giant fan blowing. Not like any fighter you have heard before.

That's why we call 'em a whistleing s**tcan :wink:

Swung by hangar 18 to see the ufos yet?

Swung by hangar 18 to see the ufos yet?

There is no hangar 18

hmm maybe that was the roswell AFB. Which one do they keep the ufos in at wright-patterson?

Like they would keep them in a hangar. Anything like that would be in an underground bunker which is a helluva lot more secure than a lousy hangar.

The C-17 is one of my favorite transports because it's so nice and quiet. :grin: The C-5 sounds like bolts in a blender as it struggles to get airborne, they really need to reengine all of those things ASAP. The Harriers are LOUD when they land because they always rotate those nozzles down and the sound bounces off the ground and echoes EVERYWHERE. Burner-equipped jets are all fairly close in tone, depending on single or twin engines, with the old Hornet not being quite so loud.

The WORST is the stupid DC-8s we have here. Those things seem to just have loudspeakers that put out 200db under the wings to make them go, they're not really ENGINES.

The C-5 sounds like bolts in a blender as it struggles to get airborne, they really need to reengine all of those things ASAP.

Actually the TF-39's are an extremely good engine, loud, yes, but realible and powerful. In fact those things are governed to about 85% power because at full they could rip themselves off the wings. (ps My wing here at WPAFB is all C-5's). No need to replace them though.

I saw a Martin Mars lumber past. If anything needs a re-engine, it's that thing.

Kadena has quite hours from 2200 - 0600...and the Marines love nothing better than to come in at 2158 in that funky-slow land thing like a reverse ski jump...looks like the nozzles are 45 degrees and the approach is slower than a Cessna...and there are four of them, widely spaced...

Kadena has quite hours from 2200 - 0600...and the Marines love nothing better than to come in at 2158 in that funky-slow land thing like a reverse ski jump...looks like the nozzles are 45 degrees and the approach is slower than a Cessna...and there are four of them, widely spaced...

I made another entry on another thread on this subject, but this thread appears to be the place to speak about engine/burner noise. One of the most distinctive sounds of the century series aircraft is when the burner is engaged. They all have what is known as a hard light. Sounds like a loud explosion that settles down to the burner thunder we are used to. Modern burners engage in stages and can roar just as loud, but stage up to the thunder we're used to (like roar-ROAR). They don't have that distinctive explosion that is the result of lots of JP-4 being tossed into the hot exhaust of a jet engine all at once as the burner is engaged (like roar - BOOM - ROAR). The British Lightning and, I think, the Mirage and MiG series of that era also had hard lights. It is very distinctive and something we have not emulated well in this sim. Got any sound experts that might give it a go?

This is, after all, the sound of freedom we are talking about!!!!

Edited by Jug