Sign in to follow this  

Hi everybody...my fav is the mirage series

M-IIIC

pros= very fast, although its old it has a radar, with some skills u can gun a fresco (using a joystik not the keyboard), multi roles I think its best to be used as a bomber, dual 30mm guns = gr8 punch! looks so damn sexy...!, recovery from stalls is a peace of cake

cons= no RWR, no chaff/flare/ECM, not so good when dogfighting, doesnt carry much weapons. "try the M-5 for A-G more weapons and has RWR"

cheeta "I call it super kfir"

pros= fast, more manuverable than M-IIIC/E, good avionics A-A and A-G, good weapons and diffensive system has chaff/flare/ECM, long range radar and weapons, EOGR, EOGB, LGB's and all the good stuff, AHM, SAHM, IRM's u can do anything with this fine bird

cons= not as manuverable as the F-15's 16's and migs... but a good pilot can do alot with it. doesnt look as good as the M-III the nose makes her look ugly...

M-2000

pros= manuverable, superb climbing and acceleration, hard to kill, great avionics and diffensive systems Chaff/Flare/dual ECM on some types, good looking bird... try it in woi u will shoot down F-15's and 16's easy! its a good dogfighter

cons= carries only 6 A-A missiles I twaek the FT pylon to carry IRM's or SAHM's !!! just for fun...high angles of attack may put her on stall recovery is so difficult controll mistakes are unforgiven! at high speeds if u suddenly pull up u might break it as all dilta wings energy bleeding and stuff but this time the engine is better so u can partially overcome this problem...

I've gotten much better with the mirage but i wouldn't consider it my favorite. You would think a plane with such huge wings would have low wing loading and thus be very maneuverable, but it seems when you get into delta wings the opposite happens. I know why they chose delta, it makes things smooth at super sonic speeds, but those Israelis must have been great pilots to use it so well.

Well, here's my "Get to Know Your Aircraft" for the MiG-23.

Pros: Speed, yeah that's really it*

Countermeasures

Cons: Radar- Maximum range of I think 25 miles?

Weapons- R-23s aren't very effective in either the IR or radar version, R-3/R-13s suffer from the same problems as early AIM-9s

Manueverability- Not really all that great unless you're flying between 320 to 400 knots

Low speed handling- Feels like you'll stall any moment, sensitive and sluggish

High speed handling- I found it rather uncontrolable

Range- Horrible. Not as bad as a MiG-21, but you'll notice you'll go through the fuel real quick, if you can even find the fuel gauge, and the drop tank, if you've even added it, helps very little

AG capability- It's an interceptor at heart

Countermeasures- You only get six or so, and that's only in the MiG-23MLD if I'm not mistaken.

*That speed comes in handy to get you away from a fight once you've realized all the cons.

Edited by Viggen

Well, here's my "Get to Know Your Aircraft" for the MiG-23.

US aggressor pilots who flew it called it a death trap. Your observations seem to confirm that. :biggrin:

F-101C

Pros: Very powerfull, lots of speed and enertia. Dont bleed airspeed rapidly. Good vision, three guns. Perfect for slashing attacks.

Cons: Very difficult to handle in a dogfight. Watch your AOA, to much and the plane departs. No missile options....

One of the most challenging Aircrafts in a NF IV Campaign..

In regards to the F-101C. I love flying it as a strike aircraft. Its so fast that AAA gunners need to react faster to get it. With that speed though you need to recalculate how you do your bombing runs. Anyone use that bomb release calculator that Bunyap put into his weapons pack? Print that out, put it together and it can help with that math on that. Hit the range and practice.

As far as dogifighting in it, if I can use my speed and do a slashing attack and get away with it I will. But if I have to get into a turning fight, I bug out.

Stick

If you think we don't know and have tapes/data/signatures of the Su-30 radars, You are seriously mistaken. :good:

Hmmmm......

I know this,this is a Indian Su-30K, if I'm right.

But maybe this is old enough....

I forgot to mention one seriously positive thing about the Javelin.

It is about the sturdiest aircraft you will find other than the Thud. You might have your wing or tail shot off and the fuselage spewing all kinds of flames and smoke, but I've never seen one blow up from an initial burst of cannon fire or a direct hit from an Atoll.

At least this bird gives you a chance to bail out. :good:

The F-86K has afterburner, 20mm guns and radar. I didn´t fly it, but you might find what you mean. Anyway, if someone tries to break on the burner from your sabre (even a Foxtrot) it is very unlikely that he makes evasive maneuvers (or my AI is wrong) so he could eat a winder

That's the dog. I was referring to the "real" sabre. I'll try it out though.

As for the MiG-23, I feel sorry for every pilot who had to get into one. Wiki's page for it quotes pilots speaking very positively of it. But even on good days I manage to survive in the MiG-23 where I thrive in just about everything else.

That's the dog. I was referring to the "real" sabre. I'll try it out though.

What i said about the winder was for the Foxtrot, the F-86F.

If you got the Kilo or Dog, it won´t escape by speed anyway, so you could use the guns.

Edited by macelena

I've always enjoyed the classic F-100 Super Sabre. It's not as fast as the F-4 or as agile as a Mig-17. But for its time it had a good combination of speed, weapons, and maneuverability to be able to kick the a** out of anything, Air or ground. Especially with the introduction of the early Aim-9's it's air to air capability drastically improved. And despite the weapons, and powerplant problems it had ,in terms of air to ground it was probably one of the best aircraft of all time, most Soldiers,Marines, etc in vietnam knew that they could depend on the Super Sabre to help them out and save their lives whenever they needed it.

Edited by warthog64

Well I put together a personal what if "F-86G". It is an F-86F-40 airframe with a J73 engine and 20mm cannon. It can go super sonic in level flight but it takes awhile to get there.

Just got back form flying my first sortie in the F-86G.

The scorecard is as follows:

Me:

3x MiG-19PFs

1x MiG-17F

2x MiG-15bis

Wingman:

2x MiG-15bis

2x MiG17F

Apparently the Sabre can out turn all three of those guys. I knew the Sabre, unlike most other cold war US aircraft was very maneuverable, but I didn't know it was that good. The MiG-15 is a joke against the G, and the 17 is equal fodder. His AB helped keep him alive a bit longer, but I overtook him after a few minutes. The 19 was another story. he had me beat on power as he was easily out running me. But I caught this flight close to home as the firts one decided to stay and fight the others fled. My wingman kept them busy as I took the first down in a rolling scissors. I went after the second and chased him through some mountains (this was Socal) He was faster but he kept trying to shake me with fancy tricks when just flooring it would have sufficed. His stupid antics let me catch up to him and he got an acute case of lead poisoning. The 3rd 19 was chasing me trying to save his buddy. I pulled an immelmann and got on his rear and then lit him up as he tried to climb away.

Edited by zmatt

And the MiG-35 is still more or less a medium fighter, something around the lines of the Super Hornet and the rest. It might stood a chance going against the SH/Typhoon/Rafale and co (and that depends on which Block etc.), but not against the heavyweights (like the F-15 or F-22).

I know the post is more than half a year old but

Typhoon and Rafale stand more chance beating other planes than F-15.

Well to me F-15 is nothing special today.

F-22 and F-35 are!

I know the post is more than half a year old but

Typhoon and Rafale stand more chance beating other planes than F-15.

Well to me F-15 is nothing special today.

F-22 and F-35 are!

I was actually a bit confused by those remarks as well, the F15 seems a bit.......dated to me.

And out of curiousity (because I dont know) why is an F18 so 'medium'? it seems to me to be one of the more versatile and effective planes out there, especially compared to many of of it's contemporaries f14-f15- f16.

Edited by romflyer

I was actually a bit confused by those remarks as well, the F15 seems a bit.......dated to me.

And out of curiousity (because I dont know) why is an F18 so 'medium'? it seems to me to be one of the more versatile and effective planes out there, especially compared to many of of it's contemporaries f14-f15- f16.

He means medium as in weight class. The Super bug isn't big, but it isn't small either. Larger aircraft tend to have more fuel, have more powerful engines, better avionics, and larger weapons loads. They also tend to be a country's more capable air superiority fighters. Something like an F-22 is big, fast and very good at shooting down other planes, and just that. Whereas the super bug is smaller, cheaper and good at all kinds of things. Therefore the big air superiority fighter will beat the middle weight in air superiority.

MiG-23:

Many version for this aircraft: All MiG-23 habe a low RCS...

MiG-23MS: real bitch,real death trap.

Pros:

good in speed and acceleration. Turn rate is more than MiG-21s

Cons:

A/A weapon-R-13R/R-13M low range,not anti-jammer.And low MaxG

A/G weapon-so small loadout...

No ECM, no chaff, no flares,good target for AIM-7s.

Maneuverable not good as same time aircrafts

Rdar RP-22,as long range as MiG-21Bis.

MiG-23M/MF:Challanger

Pros:

good in speed and acceleration. Turn rate is more than MiG-21s.

Weapons: got 2 SAHM R-23R,good in BVR against some samtime aircrafts

Cons:

Radar: much better than MiG-23MS,but not enough too.

No ECM, no chaff, no flares,good target for AIM-9L.

R-60/R-60M R-60M is good but R-60 is not good enough.But both have a low range.And warhead of R-60s is not deadly enough.

Maneuverable not good as same time aircrafts.[F-16/F-15]

MiG-23ML/MLA/P: some times deadly.

MiG-23ML/MLA/P have a better maneuverable than MiG-23M/MF/MS.Closer to F-15 and maybe better than F-14A.

Pros:

Good R-24R in BVR,some times deadly.

Maneuverable,good enough in same time,but not good enough while VS F-16/F-15.

Good in A/G missions with Kh-25R A/G missile.

Cons:

Radar:useable now.

No ECM, no chaff, no flares in early version,good target for AIM-9L/AIM-7.

MiG-23MLD: so deadly.

Pros:MiG-23MLD have a good maneuverable close to F-15,but not as good as F-16.

Cons:speed and acceleration very good,so fast!

Good R-24R in BVR,better than F-16 early versions,and some times deadly.And very deadly R-73 in close combat---I got some head to head shoots.

Good in A/G missions with Kh-25R A/G missile. And ECM pod,don't afraid SAMs

ECM, chaff, flares in early version,no more target for AIM-9L/AIM-7.

Cons:

Radar:useable only.

MiG-23-98: MiG-23MLD with R-77 and Better radar.

Hmmmm......too late.....that's it.Target for AIM-120s

MiG-23K---Not sure about this...

Edited by Erwin_Hans

Shameless plugs here, but I really like fighting in the Vigilante. It has the endurance to fly continously in full afterburner and is perfect for low to mid over-the-shoulder deliveries.

Try the F-86H, it has cannons, can mount sidewinders and I think it has an afterburner.

I'm really not a fan of the Dogs. I tried the Kilo and it was ok. But I'm having more fun with my what if sabre.

Nothing beats the F-15 to me!It has numerous air-to-air kills and no F-15's have been shot down.

Maybe it just got veeery lucky? :biggrin:

img00121.JPG

Nothing beats the F-15 to me!It has numerous air-to-air kills and no F-15's have been shot down.

I wish you had told my Eagle squadron that.

Even though we tore the throat out of Ivan countless times, we had about 60% casualties when all was said and done

It's been a while so i decided to get things going with a couple of more birds...

CL-13B Saber MK6...Pros-Incredible manuverability, exceptional fuel endurance for early jet design, plentiful gun ammo, variety of munitons available for it.

Cons-.50 guns lack punch, non afterburning, AIM-9Bs utterly unreliable.

With the exception of the missle problems the other cons are almost unremarkable for the most part. This plane is a hands down winner. Unmatchable in a dogfight and a fine A2G platform as well. How good? My first campaign in it produced (IIRC)10 aces in my squadron with NOT ONE A2A loss due to enemy fighters. The sole A2A loss was an own goal via a stray Sidewinder. The lack of gunpower is sometimes a hassle but can be overcome by getting on the foe's 6 and waiting for the right moment.

Fiat G91R/3...Pros-Strong gun armament, good cockpit visibility, compact size

Cons-Limited loadouts, no afterburner, rudimentary instruments, limited combat radius, somewhat underpowered.

This plane can be a real suprise if one is careful. In the strike role, serious consideration must be taken into account due to the need for drop tanks on certain missions. That will reduce the weapons load to minicule proportions compared to larger aircraft. If handled carefully it can do the job. Since it can't run away from enemy fighters, two 30mm cannons provide a powerful punch in a dogfight.

The Gina is the plane i'm currently flying in a campaign.

F4D Skyray,

Pros:

Early radar which works very well, Missile and gun armament, good rate of turn and climb, multi-roll

Cons:

Limited to IR missiles, no Sparrows. Guns prone to jamming, limited range without tanks or load if using tanks.

Still one of my fave aircraft in the game (yes its a added aircraft), a real shame this never saw proper combat as it is a lovely aircraft to fly. Capable of slash attacks on MIG 15s and true dog fighting with MIG 17s

With a modified SF2V campaign a squadron of these managed to get a ratio of 12-1 in air combat, only let down by the rubbish sidewinders.

I run a modified Skyray in my merc campaign over the desert, with semi active missiles and great success even on A.T.G. missions running iron bombs.

Edited by Hokum

Guys can we keep this on the topic? Start a new thread on how to add Mercs to campaigns, please. I am cleaning this up. Thank you.