charlielima

F-18 down

Pilot ejected but the plane went down in a residential nieghborhood by Miramar

Damn!

:ph34r: CL

Pilot ejected but the plane went down in a residential nieghborhood by Miramar

Damn!

s**t, i just saw it on TV, seemed like bombing the town. Pray for death toll not to be too high

I'm no fan of F-18s but it seems to me that every time a military airplane goes down in the economy we lose 2 Navy, Marine, or Air Force air stations.

What neighborhood exactly in Marimar? I have family that lives over in Scripts Ranch.

Edited by serverandenforcer

What neighborhood exactly in Marimar? I have family that lives over in Scripts Ranch.

other side of the base. The intersection quoted is to the west of the base off the departure side right about where the noise abatment turn is usually made. The film I saw from the helo shows it pretty clearly.

Scripps Ranch is out to the east along the approach corridor.

ABC News Says 2 houses, Nobody hurt.

Edited by charlielima

the news reports say that he was trying to land - but the crash is off the departure end (based on the prevailing winds). Not saying that the pattern doesn't shift, on occasion, but generally we departed to the west and made a hard right turn for noise abattment right about where that plane went down. Or perhaps a missed approach coupled with dual engine failure......

it will be interesting to see the results of the investigation.

How lucky was that though, no one killed. Accidents will happen no matter how well trained and maintained the force is. It might not be all bad though, if the bug goes the same way as the eagle, there will be a lot more orders for F 22s presumably in the near future.

Its a lucky day for both the pilot and the people on the ground. Sadly if something is man-made it will fail at some point. The jet,houses and material items can be replaced, i do feel for the familys whos houses were destroyed, but at least everyone is alive. It will be interesting to see what the cause was.

Its a lucky day for both the pilot and the people on the ground. Sadly if something is man-made it will fail at some point. The jet,houses and material items can be replaced, i do feel for the familys whos houses were destroyed, but at least everyone is alive. It will be interesting to see what the cause was.

This is an incident that could have gone so badly wrong but didn't. I'd have to say this was the best possible outcome of the situation

It's really just random chance today a pilot ejected over a residential area and no one died, 20 year ago a pilot ejected over his airbase in Poland and it killed an 18 year old in Belgium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Belgian_MiG-23_crash

We do alot of chainsaw work in my silly villain job. I tell the lads Gravity works every time.

I'm not sure this is a good reason to trade the bugs in for a new ride. My gripe with the F-18 is that it was slower then the F-4 Phantom and couldn't carry the same load as the A-7 Sluff. Or even the Phabulous Phantom. New and Improved is more of a joke in a my house then a reality.

Romantic? Yes. But there were targets in Vietnam that A-7s couldn't touch but SPADs or Sandys could. My A-1 Skyraider book has a pilot from the 1st Air Commandos saying I'd rather have a P-47 Thunderbolt.

Sierra! I just heard on the radio 2 are Dead.

Edited by charlielima

USMC Hornet, And i seriously doubt that they are gonna replace the F-18, and it sounded like a D model, from what they described, as a 2 seater, since the Bs from my understanding are all gone but i could be wrong on that. As far as I know we only have Cs and Ds. Like everyone said above, it happens with aviation, luckily the pilot punched and was ok and the families were ok. Its not like MCAB Miramar is gonna be BRACed and the F-18Cs and Ds all scrapped. As we all know like I said, it happens, so dont worry.

F word.

Getting worse every minute.

3 dead.

F-18 driver was directed to RTB while he was over water. Why didn't he land at North Island?

I'm not sure if San Clemente Island, or Imperial Beach can handle a fast mover.

Bad day for all.

Edited by charlielima

F word.

Getting worse every minute.

3 dead.

F-18 driver was directed to RTB while he was over water. Why didn't he land at North Island?

I'm not sure if San Clemente Island, or Imperial Beach can handle a fast mover.

Bad day for all.

I haven't seen anything yet that says he was told to RTB because of an emergency, much less what kind of emergency.

Yes, San Clemente can take fast movers - I diverted in there myself once (although not in anything one would call a "fast-mover"). So far as why not NASNI, it would depend on where he was coming in from and what was the nature of the emergency, if any. IB is just a helo base.

So far, a lot of questions and not a lot of info.

very sad and tragic day.

Edited by Typhoid

the death toll is 3... one of them is an infant.. damn shame :(

a little more info

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/2...09jetdown.html#

interesting bits of info in that the plane had already lost one engine while over water and reportedly was ordered to RTB to Miramar. From where the ship is, he had to overfly NASNI.

Now, when I was flying in the same area and lost an engine overwater - we diverted to the nearest suitable airfield which was San Clemente Island (obviously a different plane).

so some questions arise as to why he was diverting to his home field rather than a closer, suitable alternate since he already had a critical emergency. Why did the Air Boss and Air Wing Commander order him to divert there and why didn't the pilot go straight to NASNI as was his right and responsibility as the PIC?

tough questions for the investigative board - and of course I am basing this on the San Diego reporter's info which is of doubtful accuracy anyway.

we'll see.

:sad:

Well, I just might have gotten directly affected by this. I just got called up to go down to the base to assist. Probably filling in for the guys down there who are going to help to secure the crash site.

Witnesses said the pilot had landed in a tree close to the crash site. He was later taken to Balboa Naval Hospital with injuries, officials said.

This indicates to me that he stayed with the plane as long as he thought possible.

Witnesses said the pilot had landed in a tree close to the crash site. He was later taken to Balboa Naval Hospital with injuries, officials said.

This indicates to me that he stayed with the plane as long as he thought possible.

Man... some guys on the radio this morning were crticizing the pilot for "putting it down" in a neighborhood. Pissed me off... Obviously, if the pilot was able to control where the aircraft was going, he probably would have tried to avoid the ground all together...

Man... some guys on the radio this morning were crticizing the pilot for "putting it down" in a neighborhood. Pissed me off... Obviously, if the pilot was able to control where the aircraft was going, he probably would have tried to avoid the ground all together...

Radio DJ's are some of the lowest scum on this earth, IMO. Todd and Tyler out of KC are some of the worst bunch.

I just read that a Congressional Aide leaked info to the press in regards to the initial debrief.

"No official initial finding of the cause of the crash was given, but a congressional aide who had been briefed on the crash said the pilot was trying to land at Miramar after his right engine malfunctioned. The aide spoke on condition of anonymity because the information was not yet public."

What an a$$hole! He/She knew that they werent supposed to release anything and yet they did it anyhow.

On the other side, I feel for the father/husband who lost his family that day.

-S