Sign in to follow this  
Crusader

STRIKE FIGHTERS 2

Another weapons related bug/feature: amount of bullets on hard.

I'm flying on HARD settings (apart from visual targetting), case is Scooter in Operation Desert Thunder. My plane has 100 rounds per gun (I've checked this in data.ini) but on hard settings I can fire only 40, as confirmed in log after flight three times. No, no gunjams. Is it that higher difficulty level decreases the actual number of rounds loaded per gun?

It's amazing to go from a campaign where you only have AIM-9Bs to one flying with the navy and AIM-9Gs.

What is going on with the missiles in SF2?! Picture this scenario;

I'm flying the 1967 Quick Sand Campaign in a USAF F-4C. It's supposed to be a run of the mill CAP mission, yeah? :nono: Think again.

Our primary target is a filght of IL-28s and I squeal with glee when I realise they're 14 miles away at my 12 o'clock heading in the same direction as me :biggrin: . I kick in my burners and get to within boresight range (10 miles). AIM-7Es are selected, I lock on to one

at about eight miles and shoot. Although the radar remains locked on my target, the AIM-7E drops to the ground like a rock after

a few seconds flight. Ah, never mind; I shoot Sparrow no.2. Guess what? Another dud :blink: . Same story with my remaining two

AIM-7Es. I also had four AIM-9Bs but I might as well have popped the canopy and started throwing rocks. Apparently IL-28s

don't like being tickled too much by AIM-9Bs :lol:

I know that Sparrow missiles often turned out to be 'duds' or faulty during dogfights in Vietnam - dropping to the ground during attempted launches. Is this a new feature?

Knowing the reputation of the Sparrow and early Sidewinders, I've adopted the technique of firing two missiles in rapid succession. I learned about this from reading actual Vietnam era pilots' report who did the same thing. After the double shot, they'd see if they hit or dumped. In the case of the latter, they'd fire again, wait, then fire the last if need be.

I believe the Soviets did something similiar in that they popped off a radar missile, followed by an IR missile, hoping to catch the enemy in a depleted energy state after evading the radar shot. In the later days, they would shoot both radar missiles (AA-10) and keep the IR missiles for close in work. The philosophy behind this being that the heavy radar missiles were a hinderance to the jet's performance during close in fighting. Cant remember where or when I read about this, but it makes a lot of sense.

A few things for you to consider. Or just move over to WoE where the missiles are much better ;)

-S

They didn't call the Sparrow "The great white hope." for nothing.

just move over to WoE where the missiles are much better ;)

-S

Oh how I really miss the latest weapons pack I installed in WOE :sad: . Here's hoping for a quick developement of TK's latest weapons pack, eh? C'mon everyone, get those prayerbooks out...

Note for TK: It's by birthday on Friday. A surprise would be nice.... :wink:

With regard to Soviets doing double shots or radr and IR, I've read this to though I'm fairly sure it was IR then radar otherwise the IR may lock onto and track the radar guided missile so if it missed they both did.

Craig

I know that was standard for the AA-6s as used by the MiG-25 and maybe the Su-15/21 as well, but I'm not so sure the practice continued into the Alamo era.

Well, I decided to add my support to TK's efforts, so bought a copy of the game. Question...anyone added a cockpit to any of the AI planes? As soon as I finish downloading, Im gonna try the Hi-res Mig-21 cockpit by MK2 and see what happens.

Yeah, I added the MiG-21 cockpit fine. Also added the Hunter cockpits. I tried adding Ordways cockpits but it always seems to crash on loadup.

Edited by suhsjake

I tried adding Ordways cockpits but it always seems to crash on loadup.

With using "old" cockpit LOD or using the new ne? The reworked pits may cause CTDs (different mesh and parts names)

i extracted all the cockpits and sorted them in to separate folders , how can i use this cockpits now in sfp1 ,wov,woe and woi

every time i try to use them the aircraft i assign the cockpit to is no longer available in the selection :dntknw:

Anyone noticed those?

lights.jpg

Landing lights on F-100D. Deploy with airbrake.

And that's stock Snakeye :blink:

img00084.jpg

I was using an unchanged version. Hope Ordway updates his cockpits.

You guys are making it way too hard for yourselves....

How about trying by extracting the cockpit LODs from the original SF/WoE/WoV cat files, drop them into Ordways's cockpit folders, and see it the MiG pit work that way???

Remember HOW the Game Engine ™ works ... it looks into seperate folders FIRST, then pulls what it can't find from the cat files.

(mind you , I don't have SF2, but I know how the system works ... which would explain why the Fishbed pits work, as they are all inclusive - with all the lods and bits necessary to work whereever)

Wrench

kevin stein

Ok, maybe you can tell me what happened here as Im still not sure I understand the file structure. I made the MiG-17 flyable very easily using the A-4B cockpit. I simply added the lines...

CockpitDataFile=A-4B_cockpit.ini

LoadoutImage=A-4B_loadout.tga

HangarScreen=A-4B_hangar.bmp

LoadingScreen=A-4B_Loading.bmp

to the Mig-17 ini in the C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Aircraft\MiG-17 folder.

Then I unpacked objectdata003.dat in C:\Program Files\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\Objects into a folder with the same name. I was then looking for a A-4B cockpit panel I wanted to repaint in soviet colors for the MiG-17. I found it, did the paint job I wanted to it and repacked the files. Making sure everything had the proper names and the new paint job on the file was the same dimensions of 256X256. I then go fly and VOILA! my cockpit has the new paint job...KEWL! Then switched to an outside view to watch the dogfight and realized that all the other planes were now without skins...they were ghostly white! All I did was change one file and repacked everything. What happened that changed all the other aircraft??? I also tried leaving the new file just in the C:\Program Files\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters 2\Objects folder outside the cat file to see if that worked; it didnt. What if I simply put it in its own cockpit folder in the C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Aircraft\MiG-17 folder? If so, do I need to add anything else to that folder? I could try this but Im off to work shortly for a nice 12 hour shift...ack...

UPDATE! Nevermind, I reread what wrench posted and I had 5 minutes before I had to leave for work...lol. So put the new file in its own folder in C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Aircraft\MiG-17 folder. Works great! All the other planes have their skins and I have my new cockpit repaint. Man, Im a freaking jenious...;)

Edited by pcpilot

Some will be glad to know that SF2 is carrier compatible. I just imported them from SFG and am now flying from carriers in my US Navy campaigns.

Some will be glad to know that SF2 is carrier compatible. I just imported them from SFG and am now flying from carriers in my US Navy campaigns.

Are there carriers in SFG?

Are there carriers in SFG?

Not with the basic install. I imported the carriers from WOV (but make sure you also extract all the carrier .lod/data/bmp,etc files from the VIETNAMSEA.CAT file), set up a carrier station in the DESERT DATA.ini file, place the carrier in the DESERT TYPES.ini file as a target type and edit the campaign data.inis so that the game would recognise them. It's pretty simple if you know what you're doing.

I've found that it brings a different dimension to the game :wink: , as well as a choice as to whether you want to operate from a sea or a land base. Actually a lot of people have done the same with WOE

Not with the basic install. I imported the carriers from WOV (but make sure you also extract all the carrier .lod/data/bmp,etc files from the VIETNAMSEA.CAT file), set up a carrier station in the DESERT DATA.ini file, place the carrier in the DESERT TYPES.ini file as a target type and edit the campaign data.inis so that the game would recognise them. It's pretty simple if you know what you're doing.

I've found that it brings a different dimension to the game :wink: , as well as a choice as to whether you want to operate from a sea or a land base. Actually a lot of people have done the same with WOE

Sorry bud, I meant to say to extract the above mentioned files from the WOV/ObjectS/ObjectData.CAT file :blush2:

SF2 Manual released!!!

Not pdf but html though.

http://www.thirdwire.com/man/sf2/strike_fighters_2.htm

Finally one can see how all those F-4s differ from one another :biggrin:

Who was asking about only 20 shots for guns on A-4?

A-4B (65)

To counter the ever increasing threats from enemy Surface-to-Air Missiles (SAM), A-4B received ALQ-51 ECM and a chaff dispenser under project "SHOEHORN" in 1965. Due to limited internal space, the black box for the ECM is placed in cannon ammo box, reducing the ammo capacity to 20 rounds per gun.

I've tried to add the carriers as per C5's article, WITH the correct #'s, yet the carrier refuses to show up and my base is somewhere out in infinity beyond the southeast corner of the map. Any ideas?

I've tried to add the carriers as per C5's article, WITH the correct #'s, yet the carrier refuses to show up and my base is somewhere out in infinity beyond the southeast corner of the map. Any ideas?

yep.

for starters, use the WoV stock CVA-63...

copy ALL LODs, BMPs, and .INIs from the WoV ObjectData.CAT

make a new CVA-63 folder in your SF2 Groundobject Mod directory in <user>\Saved Games\...[yada yada]

Paste Files into new CVA-63 directory...

Mod Campaign or Single Mission accordingly! :good:

Using the SCB-125, in the correct folder etc. Still no go :(

Here's how my inis are set up:

Desert_Types.ini:

[TargetType072]

Name=SCB-125

FullName=SCB-125 Essex Class CV

ModelName=SCB-125.lod

TargetType=WARSHIP

ActiveYear=1950

DamagePoint=10000

ArmorValue=0

ArmorType=0

TargetValue=2500

UseGroundObject=TRUE

GroundObjectType=SCB-125

RepairRate=0.150

StartDetectChance=50

StartIdentifiedChance=0

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=15000.0

DamagedModel=

DestroyedEffect=ShipDestroyedEffect

DestroyedModel=

SecondaryEffect=LargeOilFire

SecondaryChance=100

[TargetType073]

Name=CVA-63

FullName=Kitty Hawk Class CVA

ModelName=CV-63.lod

TargetType=WARSHIP

ActiveYear=1961

DamagePoint=10000

ArmorValue=0

ArmorType=0

TargetValue=3000

UseGroundObject=TRUE

GroundObjectType=CVA-63

RepairRate=0.150

StartDetectChance=50

StartIdentifiedChance=0

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=15000.0

DamagedModel=

DestroyedEffect=ShipDestroyedEffect

DestroyedModel=

SecondaryEffect=LargeOilFire

SecondaryChance=100

Desert Targets.ini:

[TargetArea074]

Name=Delta Station

Position=700000,700000

Radius=5657

ActiveYear=0

Location=3

Alignment=FRIENDLY

CarrierStation=TRUE

[TargetArea075]

Name=Echo Station

Position=870000,700000

Radius=5657

ActiveYear=0

Location=3

Alignment=FRIENDLY

CarrierStation=TRUE

Desert_Nations.ini:

[Theater]

TheaterName=Somewhere in Middle East

Location001=Kingdom of Dhimar

Location002=Empire of Paran

Location003=Straits of Dhimar

[Nation001]

NationID=256

Name=Dhimar

DisplayName=Dhimari Air Force

Alignment=FRIENDLY

PilotNameList=NamesArabic.lst

RankList=RanksRAF.lst

CallsignList=CallsignsUS.lst

Formation.Fighter=USFighter

Formation.Attack=USFighter

Formation.Bomber=USBomber

Formation.Transport=USBomber

Formation.Tank=USTank

Formation.MobileAD=USAD

PilotTrainingStandard=POOR

GenderRatio=0

[Nation002]

NationID=257

Name=Paran

DisplayName=Parani Air Force

Alignment=ENEMY

PilotNameList=NamesArabic.lst

RankList=RanksRAF.lst

CallsignList=CallsignsUS.lst

Formation.Fighter=SovietFighter

Formation.Attack=SovietFighter

Formation.Bomber=SovietBomber

Formation.Transport=SovietBomber

Formation.Tank=SovietTank

Formation.MobileAD=SovietAD

PilotTrainingStandard=POOR

GenderRatio=0

Campaign6_Data.ini:

[CarrierUnit001]

CarrierType=CVA-63

CarrierNumber=63

UnitName=CV-63 USS Kitty Hawk

ForceID=1

Nation=USN

BaseArea=Echo Station

NumSquadron=5

BaseSize=MEDIUM

Experience=100

Morale=100

Supply=100

[CarrierUnit002]

CarrierType=SCB-125

CarrierNumber=41

UnitName=CV-41 USS Midway

ForceID=1

Nation=USN

BaseArea=Delta Station

NumSquadron=5

BaseSize=MEDIUM

Experience=100

Morale=100

Supply=50

Using the SCB-125, in the correct folder etc. Still no go :(

Here's how my inis are set up:

Desert_Types.ini:

Desert Targets.ini:

Desert_Nations.ini:

Campaign6_Data.ini:

ummm.... you DO know you don't need the entries in the Desert_TYPES.INI, right? :huh:

that's probably what's conflicting with your other entries.....

It didn't work before I tried adding those so it's probably not that either.