Sign in to follow this  
Crusader

STRIKE FIGHTERS 2

Freakin paypal pretty much told me to go play hide and F myself as usual, I'll just F'in wait for WoE2 and then spend few weeks toruting my buddy to do the procedure geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez why is online shopping so F'ed up?

Sry guys just venting lol

Have mine now I like it found everything in my doucuments folder except campaign folder? Still the the cockpits are very nice and it runs well on XP I will try it on Vista next and see.

Getting my copy now. Can't beat a $19.99 price.

You too? I walked half an hour in -6 C and light snow and icy streets to put cash on my card and then dragged myself back.

Yeah man, little to the west of you but same climate, lol!

Is game's time frame extended? Just flew F-4E(75) in 1991 :biggrin:

Honestly, unless I have vista, there is no real point for me to buy this. Yeah, it might have new 3D content, but tell me what modder here hasn't already added that to the previous releases... and for free! To me, this feels like a waste of my money to get. I see nothing that says that this really adds a lot to the sim that makes it totally different, better, and bigger form the previous releases. In all honesty, I see it as a con job. Gurantee, there will be patches needed for this new release that should have been fixed prior to release, and they're only being made to keep us interested in another release for us to pay for that will essentially be the same thing over again, but oh wait, it's to operate on a different OS and it has better looking planes and cockpits. Nope, sorry, I don't fall for that trap. Unless there is a significant difference that says that the new release is essentially a totally new, different, bigger, and better game, in which I will experience something that I've never experienced before in the previous titles, I'm not buying it. It's not being wise with my money.

I should have never made this comment. I was going through a tough time in December. My dad got laid off, my orders to work for several months got cut within one month of working them, and my civilian job is hell and I don't ever want to go back to it. That being said, if you read this post and hate me for it, I don't blame you. This is the worst post I've ever written and I'm ashamed of it. It was just plain ignorant of me. The Thirdwire series is a great sim, even if it's considered "lite". Compared to most other sims out there, it's the easisiest one to get into without much issues, and it presents a standard of game play that is at a fair balance for those who want something above Ace Combat, but not get lost in the technical operatoins of an aircraft in some other sims.

Edited by serverandenforcer

Honestly, unless I have vista, there is no real point for me to buy this

Actually there is no real reason to buy it for Vista compatibility either because all of the games have been 100% functional in Vista since the October patches.

Here is what you get with SF2:

1. The SFP1 game, minus the F-104 and C-130.

2. Upgraded cockpits for the F-4s and A-4s. (Not the F-100)

3. Several new AI planes (MiG-23s, Hunters among others)

4. A small avionics update, mostly related to the RWR

5. A couple of new weapons.

6. Higher resolution textures for aircraft and weapons.

7. Several new sub-versions of existing aircraft.

The target for this release is clearly the person who came "late" to the series, starting with WOV, WOE or WOI and who never bought SFP1. The original SFP1 has been OOP for quite some time now, although SF Gold has been available from TK's online shop. For those people, its a very good deal for $20. Everyone else will have to decide if the upgrades are enough to justify the price.

That said, I'm strongly opposed to your calling this a con job, because that implies deception. The contents of this release have been clearly stated by TK.

How are u gonna call it a con job? NOTHING TK has ever done has been anything of the sort. As far as I know he is the ONLY game developer that patches his games to the lastest leve for FREE. I would say he is a blessing in disguise since no others from what I have seen like I said do that. I havent been around this community as long as most but I agree with C5, I take offense to that as well.

Actually there is no real reason to buy it for Vista compatibility either because all of the games have been 100% functional in Vista since the October patches.

Here is what you get with SF2:

1. The SFP1 game, minus the F-104 and C-130.

2. Upgraded cockpits for the F-4s and A-4s. (Not the F-100)

3. Several new AI planes (MiG-23s, Hunters among others)

4. A small avionics update, mostly related to the RWR

5. A couple of new weapons.

6. Higher resolution textures for aircraft and weapons.

7. Several new sub-versions of existing aircraft.

The target for this release is clearly the person who came "late" to the series, starting with WOV, WOE or WOI and who never bought SFP1. The original SFP1 has been OOP for quite some time now, although SF Gold has been available from TK's online shop. For those people, its a very good deal for $20. Everyone else will have to decide if the upgrades are enough to justify the price.

That said, I'm strongly opposed to your calling this a con job, because that implies deception. The contents of this release have been clearly stated by TK.

Yeah, it wasn't cool of me to call it that. It's just that it really didn't have much substance for those who have been dedicated to the series, and the fact that, from my point of view, it seemed like we were ignored over this and that there wasn't much more else that was new for us to get from it. I choose my word poorly on how to describe it, but i am very disapointed with this recent release. It's my point of view towards it. I'm not saying that everybody else has to have my point of view on it, but that's how i see it. I am a bit of a *** when it comes to these things, and I'll probably never change on it.

it seemed like we were ignored over this and that there wasn't much more else that was new for us to get from it

We had so many free updates to previous games already. Why not pay for this one?

for the screenshots it seems the damage modeling have been improved too

Yeah, it wasn't cool of me to call it that. It's just that it really didn't have much substance for those who have been dedicated to the series, and the fact that, from my point of view, it seemed like we were ignored over this and that there wasn't much more else that was new for us to get from it. I choose my word poorly on how to describe it, but i am very disapointed with this recent release. It's my point of view towards it. I'm not saying that everybody else has to have my point of view on it, but that's how i see it. I am a bit of a *** when it comes to these things, and I'll probably never change on it.

Hey its cool, I just didn't want anyone who might come along and casually read the thread to get the idea that there was something bogus about this release in terms of the honesty of the developer.

The next couple of releases from TK are going to be the same way, though. WOV will be getting an upgrade/enhancement and presumably WOE will follow. The next "new" release is the Suez pack for WOI.

:good:

Much changes are under the skin, I suppose.

Sadly, with me moving to Paris in following weeks (man, I hate that city, it will be a torture to leave my home town for that...), with awfull rent and my miserable salary, I guess I will have to wait for better days to buy it (because I just want to say TK how much I like his game).

Indeed, to me this has nothing to do with a new game (there are enough of them, I'm playing Black Shark and Aerosoft F-16 at the moment), it has everything to do with nostalgia. Strike Fighters is a monument in FlightSim history. Being able to play that very game, so smoothly, on a brand new Vista PC with widescreen and DX10, that really is some re-enactment for me.

The original game left, euhhhm, to say the least, a big window of opportunities te get better. But those who weren't already immediately fell in love with the Phantom. Strike Fighters 2 has all the magic of that first release and stays true to the original gameplay. It only has todays technology and all small glitches ironed out.

Having XP with box version of Strike Fighters Gold installed, and hesitating between SF2 and First Eagles Gold, I'm more and more leaning towards the Great War.

The original game left, euhhhm, to say the least, a big window of opportunities te get better. But those who weren't already immediately fell in love with the Phantom. Strike Fighters 2 has all the magic of that first release and stays true to the original gameplay. It only has todays technology and all small glitches ironed out.

And best of all, people who buy it now for the first time don't have to live through those first two years on the SimHQ forums with all of the pissing and moaning and patchwhining! :biggrin:

Well, AFTER reading the FAQ, this seems like it is more easier for those that constantly mod their games.

Drop tanks can now be part of the 3d model, and can use skin textures in individual skin folder. So gray F-4 can use gray tanks and camo'ed F-4 can use camo'ed tanks.

Like this.

Edited by kct

- "Yeah it is really incredibly frustrating because these planes were bought and paid for by the American people, and the names were assigned by the Pentagon--if anyone owns the copyright on their names, its us, not the aircraft companies."

- This isn't a bash Lockheed thread. Let's keep on the topic at hand.

Well, AFTER reading the FAQ, this seems like it is more easier for those that constantly mod their games.

Drop tanks can now be part of the 3d model, and can use skin textures in individual skin folder. So gray F-4 can use gray tanks and camo'ed F-4 can use camo'ed tanks.

Like this.

Hey, now this IS interesting. Would fix the Skyray right off the bat.

Also, would make the new version of the Tomcats easier to skin with custom tanks.

FC

Hey all decal file structure change.

1. Make a DECALS folder in Object folder. (for Vista users, make it in the SAVED GAMES/THIRDWIRE/StrikeFighters2)

2. Add decals to the new folder.

3. Change decal.ini to this format:

FilenameFormat=USAFL

Notice it is no longer.....

FilenameFormat=F-101B/15thFIS/D/USAFL

Now decals will work.

Also 3rd party sounds:

1. Just create a SOUNDS folder (for Vista users, make it in the SAVED GAMES/THIRDWIRE/StrikeFighters2)

2. Add sounds, you are set.

How is the damage to objects,same or better?

Brady

Happy Christmas TK style!

This looks much nicer, little things like more lights in the cockpit, lettering on the armaments, the water looks better than on my latest patched mega install. The RWR now displays a vector line to the threat making sead easier. It even plays reasonably well on my ancient and broken laptop with all eye candy on high!

Pulling up from dropping 3 500lb's onto Mr. Scud and surprised to behold from an external view, lots and lots of bright yellow secondaries.. I'm not sure if the bombs actually contain explosive now or if that was unsolicited help from wingy but either way, it augurs well.

I still wish the LABS counter did something useful, or just for any kind of fire control simulation, that always has and always will be my number one immersion killer.

Annoying in some ways because now I know the difference these little things make in total, I can't imagine going back to SF with latest patch and so will probably buy all of the titles again. TK will most likely continue patch support or three and somewhere down the road, again we will all likely feel we have been given a lot more for free than we spent, so all in all.. Thank you TK :good: :fans: