Sign in to follow this  
appraiserfl

Whats your favorite refrigerated barley unit of choice within the mess?

I have to go with a nice stein of Hoegaarden White, I just discovered this beer yesterday and it is now stocked in my mess on a permanent basis!

0216201011651.jpg

I will bring my PC over and we can just drink beer.

see u soon.

m

drinks.gif

I'm hoping to enjoy one of these very soon. Fokker Scourge is a Pale Ale and Balloon Buster is Canadian Draft. Apologies to OBD if I'm abusing or misusing pics of my favorite sim. These are my first two homebrew batches. :drinks:

post-45792-12663844192987.jpg

If ya go for the heavy unfiltered ales, you owe it to yourself to try Pyramid Apricot Ale. I recommend it after a hard day patrolling the skies.

post-46040-12663889606897.png

AH...a thread about BEER!..{slurp)...My second favourite thing..after Sex and Biplanes!

Here are my three lovers in glass!...who caress me of an evening...and depart in the cold light of dawn {sigh}

Hardly ever found a cold brew that I didn't like.

Rickitycrate- those are some great looking labels. Did you print out from some screenshots that you had taken?

Ahhhhh, Newcastle Nutbrown. Fine choice.grin.gif

ZZ.

Hey, Rickity, you should make a deal with OBD and the breweries, and bring out

those beers with those labels. The Simmers will buy them, and from the winnins,

they build a super-engine!

:cool:

Ah, beer! The next best thing after whisk(e)y and rum. :grin:

My favourites are the German Rauchbier Schlenkerla and everything bottled by the Norwegian Nøgne Ø brewery. Those Norwegian beers are a tad expensive for major consumption, though...

I really must taste that Spitfire some day!

I consumed too much when I was younger, and can't partake anymore of the fuit of the vine or the fermentation of wheat barley hops or rye. But I did like Newcastle Brown Ale, I think it was Boddingtons stout, Guiness, Augsberg, Red Stripe Lager and lime, Becks Dark, and any other German dark brews. Stella, and another lager from New Zealand, and the "oilcans" of beer from Austrailia. German wines were a favorite, especially on a cold winter day, heated to warm, with a stick of cinnimon, especially gluwein(?). Definitely shook of the chill with that.

They all sound good guys. Widow I would sure like to educate my pallette with a proper go at your selection.

Ras, yes that's it. Screenies I grabbed. I love taking those screenies.

Olham, well I do agree that OFF inspired product labels on a "great" beer would be snarfed up and sucked back very quickly my feeble efforts have yet to have a proper tasting. I know I have a verrrrry long way to go before thinking my stuff is any good. There are real brewers in our forum by the way. No, these little bottles are learning brews, building blocks in hopes of one day making a truely satisfying adult beverage.

Disclaimer: strictly for home use. Not intended for commercial sale. Pregnant wimmen should not partake of unknown rotgut. Call surgeon general if you have his number. Go to the church of your choice.

After trying more than 100's different beers, this is my favorite and it is Portuguese:

sagress.jpg

Yes spitfire is quite good. Hasse you find it also from Finland some bigger markets.

Cheers

Arto

Ah, beer! The next best thing after whisk(e)y and rum. :grin:

My favourites are the German Rauchbier Schlenkerla and everything bottled by the Norwegian Nøgne Ø brewery. Those Norwegian beers are a tad expensive for major consumption, though...

I really must taste that Spitfire some day!

Cant drink beer its the only damn thing on the planet I am allergic too... so I will settle with the following... Schnapps straight from the Freezer a good 22 yr old Malt by the fire and a cognac to go with a good cigar after a wonderful meal... and the an Ameretto for just sipping in quiet reflection...

One of the nice things about living in Blighty is the fact that you can find an awful lot of extremely nice beers - both UK produced and from elsewhere. I'm extremely lucky to live in the North West of England, probably one of the better areas for real ale, and despite years of getting slaughtered intensive field testing, I'm nowhere near having sampled more than a small percentage of what can be found. To give you an idea of how daunting this task is, here's a wee factette. Local to where I live, there's a real ale bar at my local steam railway station (rail spods and beer are natural partners. So are large beards, larger guts and BO apparently, but I digress), a bar which started life as a twinky little tea room, but then proved the theory of evolution by morphing into its present incarnation. Since they opened as a real ale bar in about 2003, they've kept a count of the number of different types real ales and ciders/perries that they've served up. To date, the number stands at well over 2000.

I can't name an all time favourite, but here are a few favourites that stick in the memory (bearing in mind that there are probably other beers that may have been better, but which managed to obliterate my memory of them...):

Marston's Pedigree

Moorhouse's Pendle Witch Ale

Everard's Tiger

Hobgoblin (before they lowered the ABV, dammit)

Robinson's Old Tom

Theakston's Old Peculier

Phoenix Wobbly Bob

Leyden Raglan Sleeve (a local favourite)

That's a very small proportion of what I've been able to get through! Many local pubs also rotate different ales in and out on a regular basis, and I'm constantly astounded at finding new and interesting beers from breweries I've never of before. Well, at least I won't get bored.

Someone once said that if you're born English, you've already hit the jackpot of life; whilst I wouldn't go that far, I'd certainly say that with regard to beer, it's certainly absolutely true.

I was always partial to a good, full-bodied, rich dark ale and/or stout, served from the cold shelf down near the floor, or drawn directly from the tap. English, German, Belgian...they all have so many to offer. And in more recent years the U.S. brewers have gotten into the act as well. I, like a couple of others who have posted here, no longer can partake of this little bit of liquid heaven, but I can still taste and savour the countless, brilliant pintas' I enjoyed over the years, and the memories continue to make my mouth water. Aaaaah...good times...good times.

drinks.gif

Um... the one in my hand?

grin.gif

Not very discerning, here.

I actually prefer Glen Levit - any age! I have enjoyed Old Speckled Hen as well!

Who cares, if not even I do!?

drinks.gif

It's more about with whom one shares the beverage!

Hey guys, I cracked open my first homebrew this last Saturday. The main ingredient was 6 years past it's "use by" date. Being the first it was a bit of an experiment and I had my doubts for it turning out well. The color is too dark. The taste is off, maybe even metallic and it did not carbonate so well. Below is the first pour. I've drank 4 so far. Maybe with a little more aging the taste will improve.

post-45792-12671433386131.jpg

On a much happier note I tried my second batch last night and it was fabulous. One of the best beers I've ever had. Not that I am an expert but it was delicious. Good alcohol content, great carbonation and tasted very good even at the bottom of the mug. A world of difference from Bud. Man I'm happy. I only wish it was a larger batch. I expect all the rest of my brews to be good as I will never use such out of date ingredients again.

post-45792-1267143339395.jpg

Rickitycrate,

If you are unhappy with any of your batches, I offer a unique service. Just send me any brew you don't want and I'll see that it's disposed of properly! drinks.gif

Dude... this Data BSoD is hysterical!!!

My dear wife and I have been in the UK for the last three weeks, and are returning to Australia next Friday. We'll be spending the rest of our time visiting different places around Durham. Our son is here with his lovely wife and three of our precious grandchildren while he completes a doctorate in Biblical studies at Durham University.

My dilemma is this: what easily obtainable, local ales should I be trying before we return? As I type I'm enjoying a very palatable (unchilled) Spitfire Kentish Ale as recommended by UK Widowmaker, but being from Kent, it's hardly local. Suggestions as to culinary accompaniments (other than crisps) for any recommended ales would be most welcome - although an ale and crisps is a treat in itself.

Thanks in advance,

Wallaroo

Swore off of the hard stuff. Now I help pay for Jeff Gordon's race car.

post-45778-078290700 1284145742.jpg

My favourite is the same as WM's, Shepherd Neame Spitfire. Brewed 5 miles from me and as the advert says.......It's the bottle of britain and no Fokker comes close.

Check out the Ads here hrtr :drinks:

Edited by tranquillo