Sign in to follow this  
appraiserfl

If you could go back in time, would you?

Just as a side issue, we all joke about getting a terminal case of Lead Poisoning from the bullets fired by the enemy. I've seen people in action who are shot by bullets or wounded by shrapnel, and even for a flesh wound, one thing administered is a Tetnus injection, to halt any possible infection from the metal entering the body.

It would be interesting to find out, what year that became SOP. And was it done in World War One. And if not, what type of infection could you look foreward too ? drinks.gif

Tetanus vaccine became available in the 1920s. During WW1, there wasn't much the doctors could do to effectively help patients suffering from tetanus. The best method of preventing tetanus was to clean the wounds as quickly and thouroughly as possible, but we know how easy that was in the muddy trench conditions. Tetanus is caused by bacteria which were very common for example in the soil of Flanders.

No, not go back unless I was rich and powerful. The "good old days" of early 1900s were anything but that.

But I'd like to go forward!. About 100 or 200 years. Or 1000 years. To see the technology then, WOW!

With regards to Dowding seeing and hearing dead airmen; shortly after WWI there was an upsurgence in the popularity of seances, belief in the power of mediums etc. I suppose it was part of people's coping mechanism, having last loved ones. Dowding of course lived through that (he served as a pilot in WWI IIRC) and so may have been a part of it.

I wouldn't go back and fight if I had the chance. Pixels and fantasy is one thing, but actually killing men is another.

If I could go back and see the sights/smell the castor oil and dope without getting involved, that would be amazing. Perhaps tag along with Trenchard on an inspection tour.

The medical records I have regarding Richthofen's wounding of 6 July 1917 indicate, in part, "Receives 20 U. tetanus antitoxin."

The medical records I have regarding Richthofen's wounding of 6 July 1917 indicate, in part, "Receives 20 U. tetanus antitoxin."

Interesting. I don't suppose they mention the name of the drug he received? I was under the impression they didn't yet have very good medicine for fighting the toxin produced by the bacterium C. tetani, which causes tetanus. Just professional interest in the history of medicine from my part...

But they didn't have the vaccine yet in 1917, that I do know for a fact. :grin:

Thing about stuff that's unexplained, is that it's just that, - unexplained.

Sounds stupid I know, but picture in your mind trying to explain to someone who'd never seen or even heard of it, exactly what fire was. Imagine for some reason you can't show him what it is. You've no matches so need to do it in words, and do it in a way where he doesn't think you're a complete nutter talking mumbo jumbo about invisible things that are a benefit if you respect them, but can hurt you instantly if you don't.

Until you understand what it is and how you control it, fire is pure voodoo, witchcraft and wizzardry all rolled into one.

If you manage getting him to understand fire, then try telling him what electricity is ....(and beware, you could now be burned for witchcraft!)grin.gif

appraiserfl, I've wondered that one myself from time to time. I did serve in military, in the USAF from '74 to '78, and for the most part it was an experience I wouldn't trade for anything. Perhaps because of that there is a very small, tiny part of me that says to your question, "Yes, I would". However, (and this next bit is going to sound completely off the wall), there is another much larger part of me that say's: "No way on God's Good Earth!", and here it is:

I've had this eerie feeling, ever since I was a very young boy, that I served in the air at least once before. One of the earliest recurring dreams I can remember involved me sitting in the glass nose of an airplane as it was plummeting towards earth. I had a machine gun in front of me and various instruments clustered around where I was sitting. The entire dream was simply me sitting in that glass nose watching the earth come up at an incredible speed, seeing the 360 degree horizion that wrapped around me disappear as this large grassy field filled my forward view. The last split second went into slow motion as I watched the muzzle of the gun dig into the dirt, and the tall waving grass push aside as the glass nose entered it. I could see the grass flattening as the glass came within a millimeter from the ground...and then I would wake up, every time. Never any sound in the dream...just dead silence all the way through. And it was in color because I remember how green that grass looked, more vivid than any green I've ever seen. As I grew up I explained the dream away as being some memory from when I was a baby and my parents had me plopped down in front of the TV while they were watching some old war movie that this scene was from, and it had embedded itself into my subconscious.

Now for the spooky part. When I was in the USAF I got to go through a restored B25 Liberator. As soon as I approached that plane my childhood nightmare came back as vivid and strong as it had ever been in my youth. I was overcome by a feeling of absolute dread, I wanted to leave but I was compelled to go forward. As I did so the feeling got more intense by the second. By the time I'd crawled up into the "greenhouse" I could hardly breath and I thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest. Still, something kept pulling me in and I sat down in the seat, and it was as if I'd gone into a trance. I felt like I was someone else, I knew where everything was. My hands went as if they were on auto pilot, checking the gun, and then the bombsight. There was a moment where I was sure I'd passed out. And then, I snapped back and jumped up and got the hell out of there, completely terrified. I am not someone who scares easily, but I can honestly say I've never been so afraid of something in all my life as I was of that, and I have never gone back near a B25.

Make of it what you will. I still can't decide, if it is nothing more than a movie memory imprinted on me as a baby, or if it came from "another life". I've never been a big believer in past lives, but this experience does make me wonder about it from time to time.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Logically I can't see how a movie depicting an airplane crashing to the ground could have so traumatic an effect upon a baby. More likely that it was indeed a past-life experience (one that both traumatised and killed you).

Yes, Hasse, perhaps he had access due to the military. This report does not name the drug. He was operated on under "chlorethyl anaesthesia," and after the wound was sutured he received a "tamponade with iodoform gauze," a "pressure bandage," and the tetanus antitoxin. Some days later (eve of the 13th) he was given morphine. The rest of the records just mention administering various ointments and hydrogen peroxide, no other drugs.

Would I go back in time?

Interesting question and one I first began pondering fifty years ago, when I first became fascinated with WWI aviation. Absolutely, unequivocally, yes.

yikes.gif

San Francisco, 1967 - yes! Flanders, 1917 - no!

Even if I had been a fighter pilot, and even if I had been really good at it, I would have rather

been the type, who takes more and more risks, the longer it goes well. And one day, I would

have been shot down. I feel, that I would have never returned from there.

But who knows - after reading Lou's report about the B25 (which gave me a good goose skin;

I've seen similar reports on TV),

we might have lived through other lives before. You can only just do your best in any time.

But deliberately choose one particular time is difficult.

I feel a bit shizophrenic about my army time for example - I wouldn't want to miss it, but I also

wouldn't want to live through it again.

good.gif San Francisco 1965-69. mmmmmmmmm Carol Doda s place on North Beach. The perfect 38 ( man made). Ashbury and Golden Gate park. Mini skirts, Go Go Boots, Short Shorts.bye.gif

I would go back in an instant but only if I was a rich playboy who dabbled in aircraft testing and designing. I'd give the war a miss though. I'm far too an important playboy. I might get killed ! It's the planes I love anyway not the war.

Thanks for sharing Louvert! All my life I have had bouts of Dejavu. Its happens every couple of years where I will have an overwhelming sense of it. It was not until my 20s that I identified that my Dejavu comes from dreams. I have had situations and such that occured in a dream actually happen many years down the road. Its pretty freaky, but it definantly happens to me. Minute things such as signs, colour and type of lamps, name badges, velvet lining on curtains, etc that were in a dream, I would find myself staring at sometimes ten years later, while the whole scene played out exactly as I had dreamed it years ago. No explanation for it, just freaky really.

Im saying if you had the chance to fly man! Obviously, nobody in their right mind would wanna be infantry in the trenches!

Knowing what we know now, no one in thier right mind would want to fly either! blink.gif

However much I would love to fly an Albatros and even dogfight in it,

after short time, I would surely miss some options we are given here, like:

- pause button

- Labels

- Enlist new Pilot

And I also couldn't brew a fresh coffee, paused, and enjoy it with cookies. :no:

Edited by Olham

Dogs live in the 'now'

I'm quite happy to as well :drinks:

If I could go back in time, it wouldn't be to the horrors of war, Lets face it, there's a vast difference between a flight sim & real combat however good OFF BhaH / HiTR are, how many people honestly think that they'd survive flying over the trenches in real life? It wouldn't be skill, it would be down to pure luck,

Mechanical failure, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, Archie etc.. etc... the odds are stacked up & not in your favour!!

I would prefer to go back to the earlier 1900's when man started to fly, where there weren't any no-fly zones or ATC, where I could build my own flying machines & try them out without anyone saying no, to be able to go to the big air meetings in France & the UK & see the famous names like Santos Dumont, & Henry Farman, Samuel Cody etc.. To witness bleriot crossing the channel.

This is time period where I'd like to go.ok.gif

peace on earth will be a great place (time) to be. I'll go there.

m

I would prefer to go back to the earlier 1900's when man started to fly, where there weren't any no-fly zones or ATC, where I could build my own flying machines & try them out without anyone saying no, to be able to go to the big air meetings in France & the UK & see the famous names like Santos Dumont, & Henry Farman, Samuel Cody etc.. To witness bleriot crossing the channel.

This is time period where I'd like to go.ok.gif

Yes indeed my favourite era of any time in history past, present or future wink.gif. It was a bit like Ultralighting in Australia in the mid to late 70's .... no rules and regs like the industry it has become today ... and any paddock would do. Real seat of the pants stuff. Of course, in the pioneering days they were doing it for the first time. An amazing period indeed.

Edited by catch

Can't say I'd ever choose to go back to a war

War is kill or be killed, 2 things I hope to keep outta my life

Not that I don't think war is sometimes necessary, and I'd hope I'd do my duty, just not desirable

I'd set the time machine to the 1880's

I like to be the engineer on a Mississippi river boat

I just love the age of steam!

In 99, my brother invited me on a trip to New Orleans and asked what I'd like to do there

I told him only thing was a river boat ride

They all stayed on deck taking in the sights

While I spent the the whole trip in the engine room, talking to the engineer and analyzing his steam engine

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Logically I can't see how a movie depicting an airplane crashing to the ground could have so traumatic an effect upon a baby. More likely that it was indeed a past-life experience (one that both traumatised and killed you).

Perhaps, but there are a myriad of other possibilities as well. This could be a "relayed" memory from a deceased person, not you at all. That would indicate that you have some sort of sensitivity to recieving these, and it happened at a such a young age and being very vivid, it was quit impressive on your psyche..... of course. May simply mean though that they can speak to you in this way.

Also, could be familial or "inherited memory". These have been reported to come from members of your close or even not so close, alive or dead family members. In some fashion the memory gets transferred from one individual to the other, and from some accounts can happen even well after thier deaths...hence the term inherited.

And there are likeley even more possibilities than even these. As was mentioned here before, our brains are programmed with many more possibilities than we are even close to being cognizant of.

ZZ.

As far as going back anywhere....to any period of conflict....no thanks. I enjoy the luxury of "playing at it" and walking away, instead of having to be stuck in it....and with the consequences. Of course....that being said, I think I'd do well, no matter where I was dropped. Couldn't help but remember seeing two photos though,of Oswald Boelke, both taken the same year, only about nine months apart. In the first he looked like a handsome young lad, in the second (and after much combat) he looked 30 years older. Sad reality. It also reminded me of a point in my youth, when I was a re-enactor (Revolutionary and Civil War), and we were doing a full weekend (unusually hard core) of Lee's defensive action leading up to Appomattox. Basically our unit was with the rear guard that kept the hard pursuing Union forces from pouncing on the main body which was in retreat. This was staged in a extremely large area, so we had use of all the roads for over 15 miles, and (realistically again) the only food we had was what we carried for the whole weekend. (Full DID if you will, but for reenactorsgrin.gif ) Well, it rained and sleeted icy cold the whole time. Being the rear guard, we would set up ambushes, push over rotten trees into the lane, wait and fire at the pursuing infantry as they approached, and then run full tilt, loading as we ran (and full fighting gear as well as soaking wet woollen uniforms) past the next defensive line further down the pike, and then we'd set up behind them, they'd fire, and then beat it past us. The worst was being charged by cavalry, and we actually had to form square a few times to keep them from surrounding us and running us down until volleys from nearby friends relieved us of thier threat. We did this off and on for three days, sleeping in the cold as well...fording swollen creeks and streams up to our waists..always on the move.....no respite. I'll tell you what....by the time I made it back home from that weekend on Sunday, I started to get sick that evening ( I guess my focus and adrenaline kept it at bay till I could relax) I went to bed and slept that night...the whole next day, got up that evening, still quite woosy,ate a bite, and slept again till then next morning, and at that point started feeling almost human again. I'll tell you what lads.....these boys (of any period WWI, WWII, Civil Revolutionary etc etc..) couldn't just quit and go home when they felt bad. It still amazes me to my core what they did enduring such, and I have the utmost respect for them all. I must say that at the time I thought it was my WORST experience as a reenactor, when now looking back, I deem it was my BEST, as I came the closest to reality there, that I likely ever have.

ZZ.

Edited by zoomzoom

Also, could be familial or "inherited memory". These have been reported to come from members of your close or even not so close, alive or dead family members. In some fashion the memory gets transferred from one individual to the other, and from some accounts can happen even well after thier deaths...hence the term inherited.

How???

Well now if I knew that I'd be quite wealthy wouldn't I?grin.gif

ZZ.

Seriously though, best I can tell from what I've read, is that it can be like a vision, (usually with a living individual) or a memory, (usually with a dead one).

An example:

Please forgive my generality because I odon't have the account in front of me, I read it some years back, but I could likely find it again if I looked. Anyway.

A British mother had a son in the Crimean War or Boer War, cant recall which. The moment he's dying (being killed) she is simultaneously having a mental vision of it all like a movie happening before her eyes. Sometimes, these are first person (ie you are seeing through the other porsons eyes). Other times they are third person...you see it like on tv (externally). So her freinds asked her after they could tell she was having a (moment), "are you ok? Her response was cooly, "Charlie's dead". Or whatever his name really was.

Edited by zoomzoom

Inherited seems to be a bit different. One account I recall regarding this was of a WWII soldier in France. (again I'd have to dig to find this piece). Anyway, he and his unit were walking up this road, and he had the most incredible state of Deja-vu occur, where he started telling what landmarks were coming up on thier walk, and was uncannilly correct every time, though he had never been there before in his life. Turns out his father, (or was it grandfather) was stationed exactly there in WWI, and that was the only way he imagined that it could have ocurred, through some sort of transferrence of those memories.

ZZ.

PS. Of course, you can prove NONE of this. But then, if you can prove to me that Love really exists, I'll mail you $100.00grin.gif

Edited by zoomzoom

zoomzoom wrote:

Could be ZZ. As has been noted, there is just so much about the human brain, how it works, and what it is capable of, that we don't have a clue about. As to me having some particular sensitivity to other's past memories I will say this. Throughout my life so far I've had many experiences, (and I do mean many), where I've known things I should not have been able to know. For instance, when I was about 9 I was over at our old bachelor neighbor's house next door, watching him try to fix his old Chevy pick-up truck. It was around a 1948 vintage or so and he was fiddling with the mixture adjustment screw on the carburetor trying to get it to run better. I stood for a bit, seeing he was getting nowhere, and then from out of the blue said, "It's probably the float or the needle and seat." He gave me a completely annoyed look and shot back, "How the hell would you know? Did you watch your dad fix one of these or sumthin?" I said no, and then added that I just "knew". So, he bet me that if I was right he'd give me fifty cents, and if I was wrong I had to rake his yard and get rid of all the leaves. We proceeded to take the top of the carb off and I found that the float tab had worn down enough over time that the float was coming up too high. We bent the tab slightly to compensate for the wear, put it all back together, and after resetting the mixture screw properly, (which I also knew how to do somehow), the engine ran fine. Mr. Sorenson then handed me a fifty-cent piece and said it was the damdest thing he'd seen in a long while, and that he'd come and get me the next time he needed help with his truck.

I as said, this is only one of countless such instances I've experienced over the years. It used to creep me out, and I looked for a lot of different ways to explain it away. But now I've just come to accept it. Yeah, I know...I'm weird.