Sign in to follow this  
DWCAce

F-22 aircraft overdue in reporting

JBER PAO

11/17/2010 - JOINT BASE ELMENDORF-RICHARDSON -- An Air Force F-22 assigned to the 3rd Wing at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, lost contact with air traffic control at 7:40 p.m. Alaska time today while on a routine training mission.

A search is underway.

More information will be released as it becomes available.

Its not looking good.

Am I missing something? It's currently 3 PM EST on 11/17, which means in Alaska it's well before noon on 11/17. How can it be missing since 8 hrs from now?? Did they mean AM? :blink:

This is definitely not good. I hope the worst hasn't happened...

Ok, it was last night this happened, that explains the time. I hope this wasn't another CFIT, I hoped the F-22 was equipped to prevent that.

Well they found the wreckage but aren't releasing much more. There are 3 ELT's on it and none of them went off. If all 3 are destroyed you can kind of figure the rest out. Not good.

Well they found the wreckage but aren't releasing much more. There are 3 ELT's on it and none of them went off. If all 3 are destroyed you can kind of figure the rest out. Not good.

What's an ELT?

'Old school' ELTs transmit on 121.5 Mhz, and are just a beacon for rescuers to home in on, while the newer digtial 406 ones can get SAR much closer. Not sure how the military has their's set up.

Here's a quick primer

this is the third crash of a f-22???

Damn. Are we back to the age of gremlins? I hope it's not some stupid software error that BSODs the plane in some random specific conditions.

DWC Ace and others wondering about the ELT....

I am in the USCG, our boats and A/C have them, they are called EPIRB (Emergency Positioning Indicating Radion Beacon) and carry small ones on our vests called PLB (Personal Locator Beacon). Here's how they work.

The old ones transmitted on only 121.5 MhZ, and our gear is set up for that still. All ELT's / EPRIB's / PLB's transmit on 121.5. Now the 406MhZ comes into play with satellites. How it works is your ELT goes off, a satellite picks it up and transmits the position to a center somewhere (can't remember), it's manned by IAMSAR crews made up of civilians, USAF personnel, USCG folks, people from other countries, whatever have you. Within 1 hour they have you located to within 1 mile and have assets heading to your position. That's as close as the 406 gets. Once within a few miles your ELT is tracked by our Radio Direction Finder (DF) which reads many VHF and other frequencies. We pickup the transmission of the 121.5 on this and DF in to within a few hundred yards. You are located visually the rest of the way unless it's foggy or something, then we have to do DF runs and try to get Lines Of Position (LOP's) to cross reference the signals and find you. All of the new beacons transmit on both 406 and 121.5 for this reason.

I was kind of hoping for the best too, but I was stationed in Alaska and very rarely does it turn out well because of how remote every place except towns are and the harsh environment, even in the SE. The only hope is the sweet training that the US forces (USAF and USCG) go through when you are stationed in Alaska that pertain specifically to that region. The USAF has quite a bit of survival training for it's pilots for bailouts, and with specialty training for Alaska and the pilots previous training sessions there is definitely hope assuming that this person did make it our of the A/C.

~Stingray

Edited by Stingray72
  • Like 1

This time of year and they haven't found him yet, it's not looking good at all.

DWC Ace and others wondering about the ELT....

I am in the USCG, our boats and A/C have them, they are called EPIRB (Emergency Positioning Indicating Radion Beacon) and carry small ones on our vests called PLB (Personal Locator Beacon). Here's how they work.

The old ones transmitted on only 121.5 MhZ, and our gear is set up for that still. All ELT's / EPRIB's / PLB's transmit on 121.5. Now the 406MhZ comes into play with satellites. How it works is your ELT goes off, a satellite picks it up and transmits the position to a center somewhere (can't remember), it's manned by IAMSAR crews made up of civilians, USAF personnel, USCG folks, people from other countries, whatever have you. Within 1 hour they have you located to within 1 mile and have assets heading to your position. That's as close as the 406 gets. Once within a few miles your ELT is tracked by our Radio Direction Finder (DF) which reads many VHF and other frequencies. We pickup the transmission of the 121.5 on this and DF in to within a few hundred yards. You are located visually the rest of the way unless it's foggy or something, then we have to do DF runs and try to get Lines Of Position (LOP's) to cross reference the signals and find you. All of the new beacons transmit on both 406 and 121.5 for this reason.

I was kind of hoping for the best too, but I was stationed in Alaska and very rarely does it turn out well because of how remote every place except towns are and the harsh environment, even in the SE. The only hope is the sweet training that the US forces (USAF and USCG) go through when you are stationed in Alaska that pertain specifically to that region. The USAF has quite a bit of survival training for it's pilots for bailouts, and with specialty training for Alaska and the pilots previous training sessions there is definitely hope assuming that this person did make it our of the A/C.

~Stingray

I am rather surprised not to hear UHF 243Mhz mentioned, when I was flying for the UK coastguard we had PLB's in our lifevests that transmitted on Mil UHF 243 Mhz and the aircrafts tracking equipment was configured to seek Tx from both 121.5 Mhz and 243 Mhz, I would be surprised further if the military had not started to use the new 406, the GPS function would be invaluable, I pray the pilot gets found quick, I don't imagine surviving in that enviroment is going to be a walk in the park.

Craig

Pilot didnt make it fellas.

Capt Jeff Haney

RIP sir.

:salute:

Air Force officials initially had held out hope that the pilot, Captain Jeffrey Haney, might have ejected from the plane and survived Tuesday night's crash.

"Based on evidence recovered from the crash site, and after two days of extensive aerial and ground search efforts, we know that Captain Haney did not eject from the aircraft prior to impact," Colonel Jack McMullen, commander of the Air Force 3rd Wing at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, said in a statement.

Search teams at the wreckage site, about 100 miles north of Anchorage, found part of Haney's ejection seat and several items the pilot wore during the flight, McMullen said.

"Sadly, we can no longer consider this a search and rescue operation but must now focus on recovery operations," he said.

Haney was married with two children. He joined the Air Force in 2003 and has been at the Anchorage base for 4 1/2 years.

The F-22 took off Tuesday from the joint Air Force and Army base for a training run.

The jet and a second F-22 practised "intercepts" and were nearing completion of the exercise when one aircraft disappeared from ground radar tracking and from communications with the other F-22 at 19:40h local Tuesday.

An air search had been ongoing, with searchers looking for any sign of a parachute or a fire the pilot might have started had he been able to eject from the plane.