image.thumb.png.da41e753e72ba2a9e7f7d92c2d57bc9d.png 

Almost done (Hopefully), just need to add the propellers and then learn how to rig and animate everything

• Like 4

image.thumb.png.acce949078fcc1bad5ea30e146c0a2ff.png

and hopefully it'll look good once im actually finished..

• Like 8

Question for arava i'm making, Does anyone have any video/ tutorial on how to moving surfaces to the model that arent animations? Talking about rudder and elevator movments, wheel turning, etc.

Would appriciate any help!

20 minutes ago, toot said:

Question for arava i'm making, Does anyone have any video/ tutorial on how to moving surfaces to the model that arent animations? Talking about rudder and elevator movments, wheel turning, etc.

Would appriciate any help!

On mobile at the moment so can't reply properly, but there are some old video tutorials at the following link that might help:

https://www.bobsyouruncle.net/StrikeFighter3dModeling.htm

• Like 1

image.png.5f04a739bb303b6db06586d6e37574e1.png

I think that's it for the model

i just need to see how i highlight the cockpit glass or whatever so i can skin it later on

and ofc animations 

• Like 1

Movable parts as elevator, rudder, wheels propellers etc...are animated via data.ini  file. 

You need to cut out all glass openings (windows, windshield etc) then fill it with new node with assigned transparent material.

If you are working in 3dmax I can send you (tomorrow or monday) sample of finished aircraft. So you can have a look and  perhaps better understanding of the matter.

• Like 3

On 8.4.2023 at 4:34 PM, yakarov79 said:

Movable parts as elevator, rudder, wheels propellers etc...are animated via data.ini  file. 

You need to cut out all glass openings (windows, windshield etc) then fill it with new node with assigned transparent material.

If you are working in 3dmax I can send you (tomorrow or monday) sample of finished aircraft. So you can have a look and  perhaps better understanding of the matter.

So all i need to do for the props, wheels, all of those things that can change via throttle/ stick movement, is to put an origin point at the right place in order for them to spin/ turn correctly, right? or does the game have a point of origin of its own for those?

you set the pivot (rotation) point of each item in your modeling software, then create an animation of the rotation. pretty much you do everything on the model you want it to do. then you import it into the game and link what key you want to control the animations, or if its linked to the operation of the gear or engines

im taking a class on modelling, although with maya not max.  this class wont get into animations, its just the basics of creating models. but to change up the appearance, im about to have fun with pivots myself. all the joints are getting moved around before its turned in

in this case everwhere theres a blue disc get a seperate pivot point. plus the two discs that the arms are on

340355165_2192067331002944_4478873149296930645_n.jpg

robutt.jpg

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Like 3

I really need some PS lessons :pilotfly:

bolo.thumb.jpg.e1c76e4f8eed3a34b7dd2e70d8e45ff3.jpgimg00030.thumb.JPG.a739a95cc93a68a72b32f87467933abc.JPGimg00031.thumb.JPG.ca8557c32ea8aedca8f351ff4318d8bc.JPGimg00032.thumb.JPG.919ea1dc7cbfb54173243521aa050e2c.JPGimg00033.thumb.JPG.128d59ac37ec3b08c93b67195dc0e9ea.JPGimg00034.thumb.JPG.065e50b248ebdd2f1a403014fc0f39d0.JPGimg00035.thumb.JPG.d63f753e036306ed4d37e54bd23f7ace.JPG

Yes I know... It's not the correct turret but I have it from the Havoc and I want to test the model in flight

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

not bad at all. and i dont really like the pre war/early WW2 stuff

generic advice for bare metal....

you got a good start with the panels. but every one will be at least slightly different due to weathering. first off, put your panel lines at the very top of the layer stack

find a pic or two of metal online that you like and that matches the plane.

then, start making layers. use portions of the metal from online, and have diffent layers for different segments. you dont have to have 200 layers for 200 panels, have 3-5 layers for 3-5 shades of metal across those 200 panels

then, depending on the metal used , apply a blueish or brownish tinting above each of the layers you made. reduce opacity by anywhere from 80-95%.

but most of all, play with it. experiment, see what you like. as a few instructors once told me, we're to show you A way not THE way.  if you figure something else out that works better for you, do it!

• Like 3

As for the silver livery or natural metal skins, the parameters below are the best:

[TextureSet]
Name=XXXXX
Nation=XXX
Squadron=XXXX
StartDefaultDate=XXXX
Specular=1.200000  <---------------
Glossiness=0.300000  <---------------
Reflection=1.400000    <---------------

8 hours ago, Wilches said:

As for the silver livery or natural metal skins, the parameters below are the best:

[TextureSet]
Name=XXXXX
Nation=XXX
Squadron=XXXX
StartDefaultDate=XXXX
Specular=1.200000  <---------------
Glossiness=0.300000  <---------------
Reflection=1.400000    <---------------

I also tried to learn how to make Natural Metal skins lately for the F-100 Super Sabre. I wondered about values above 1.0 (Specular and Reflection). Are you sure, that there's a difference between 1.0 and 1.4? I found yakarov79's values from his F-101 Voodoo-pack just perfect (on mobile now, so I can post the exact value later). I think it was something around 0.7/0.8 for Specular/Reflection. And the result is a shiny aluminium - just fine for my taste.

On 9.4.2023 at 6:51 PM, daddyairplanes said:

you set the pivot (rotation) point of each item in your modeling software, then create an animation of the rotation. pretty much you do everything on the model you want it to do. then you import it into the game and link what key you want to control the animations, or if its linked to the operation of the gear or engines

im taking a class on modelling, although with maya not max.  this class wont get into animations, its just the basics of creating models. but to change up the appearance, im about to have fun with pivots myself. all the joints are getting moved around before its turned in

in this case everwhere theres a blue disc get a seperate pivot point. plus the two discs that the arms are on

340355165_2192067331002944_4478873149296930645_n.jpg

robutt.jpg

So do you think a tutorial like this would work for rigging the aircraft? I just know that there are so many with different methods, and this one looked like the most simple 

5 hours ago, Nyghtfall said:

And the result is a shiny aluminium - just fine for my taste.

well, like cooking, some aspects of skinning are to taste:biggrin: since the lod viewer, i tend to play with numbers until it looks right to me

my above advice was particular to the texture itself. i never did like just plugging c0c0c0 (or silver) in and leaving it. real metal has so much variation, even if well maintained and polished

9 minutes ago, toot said:

So do you think a tutorial like this would work for rigging the aircraft? I just know that there are so many with different methods, and this one looked like the most simple

cant honestly answer that for ya. 

all i can say is watch, ask questions, and take good notes (actually retain and use what you learn). as to specific videos: watch it try it see if it works. if it doesnt watch another.

Guys, i have a dillema. So the IAI Arava could transport cargo, but also deploy paratroopers. Now unlike its main inspiration, the Nord Noratlas, The arava's door that was used to deploy paratroopers is on another door that was used to load in cargo. Now i'm not sure, But i don't recall seeing a mod that has an animation, on top of another animation. Now i want to ask you, Which do you want more? The cargo bay (Only used when its on the ground, the arava couldn't open its cargo bay door midair from what i know, mostly eye candy), Or the paratroopers door (Can only be used for deploying paratroopers)

image.thumb.png.512ae4a21062aa6b91d2642ed4e55b12.png

• Like 2

I'd go with the cargo door personally. More "practical" to have that open, and the paratroopers to my knowledge in the game are just bombs (for use and so on).

36 minutes ago, toot said:

But i don't recall seeing a mod that has an animation, on top of another animation.

I think it is possible.
Check FastCargo's F-103. Animations 7 & 9 and 8 & 10 are "on top of another".
The thing is not to use them at the same time (in the date.ini file).

Another example is Veltro2K's F-102 though it doesn't work as wanted in Mue's LOD viewer.
There's 4 animations 6/7/8/9 moving the same meshes.

If I were you I would try (but I'm not xD )
It should work, as long as meshes hierarchy is correct.

as for usage (and if you can animate one ontop of the other) i would have the cargo door set as a canopy so it displays open when parked. then have the paratrooper door able to open so paratroopers can deploy in flight.

just a couple pennies on the topic tho

one animation for a cargo weapon station and another animation for another 'paratrooper" weapon station. It will work. Plus proper HideNode= / ModelNodeName= / GroupLimit= ini entries will do the trick... Will look silly in 3d max but it does not matter in the game. It will work.

• Like 1

And after a RL work/break, we resume, now with a unique 21, the MiG-21RF

Snag_25a880.thumb.png.496a26797bf0bcb250caaf2560747119.png

Snag_25cafc.thumb.png.6e6ea20e95c2c3db3381aa116728a17b.png

Snag_25f5c6.thumb.png.b80f6bc97e385956b20c03caa82d3679.png

Snag_261f18.thumb.png.9c60300c62cfc965ab5a1f3f8c4a1ca8.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

since the pre-war Vindicators are starting to look pretty good, I thought I have a go at one of their hangar-mates

Should have known better -- the exception to the rule is "everyone once and a while, you'll find a pasko model that DOESN'T have a decal bleed"

This one IS the rule -- most do. Well, there's 3 days work down the singularity ... kcuf

note to self --- talk a 3d modeler willing to build new Wildcats .....

wildcat_decal_bleed.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1