Sign in to follow this  

Well I have all the DLC's and my favorite is the Hunter73_82. It may not have AB but it can carry AIM-9L/M's and had counter measures. My 2nd is the F-8E FN. TMF F-8E FN gets used right along with it. Why? I don't know but I love both. What DLC is your favorite?

My favorite DLC is the F-4EJ, namely because the paint jobs are wicked.

I had a lot of fun with several of the DLC aircraft. The A-4K and F-8E FN are certainly among my favorites... but you know I have to say the F-4K is my favorite DLC followed closedly by the beautifully painted F-4EJ. TK is just needs to release the F-4N, F-4S, F-4G, RF-4B/C/E to complete the all the models that existed in the SF time frame.

SF2NA will apparently be the first SF series game released without a flyable F-4 variant... needs F-4N/F-4S DLC to make it right! I think an F-4S with a properly modeled AWG-10 radar would be my favorite plane in the game... the only thing missing on the F-4S was an internal gun, otherwise it was the best F-4 variant until the modern foreign F-4E/F-4F upgrades with F-16 and F-18 radars.

F-4K for me too and I agree about the F-4N and F-4S as DLC's.

I will have too say the F-4K :good:

F-4K for me. Wish we could stretch that nose gear strut on cat shots like the real one!

I guess it's the campaign "customizer." It's a little weak there. I have not bought any other DLC.

I had a lot of fun with several of the DLC aircraft. The A-4K and F-8E FN are certainly among my favorites... but you know I have to say the F-4K is my favorite DLC followed closedly by the beautifully painted F-4EJ. TK is just needs to release the F-4N, F-4S, F-4G, RF-4B/C/E to complete the all the models that existed in the SF time frame.

SF2NA will apparently be the first SF series game released without a flyable F-4 variant... needs F-4N/F-4S DLC to make it right! I think an F-4S with a properly modeled AWG-10 radar would be my favorite plane in the game... the only thing missing on the F-4S was an internal gun, otherwise it was the best F-4 variant until the modern foreign F-4E/F-4F upgrades with F-16 and F-18 radars.

What does the AWG-10 do and what would it look like in game?

My favorite is the Mirgae 5BA, hands down! Such a good low level strike fighter with a real within visual range dogfight ability after you drop the bombs. And those lines.. mm! I wish we had a red side bird of that quality with those capabilities...

gotta go with the F-4EJ ... like was said, wicked cool paint jobs!

A Hunter 73_82 - A modernized Hunter, how can you not love it? :D

By far Mirage 5BA, too and off course ALL the Hunter serie.:grin:

Agree 100%. It shouldn´t be that hard (i know, i´ll cut that out) and having slatted, naval phantoms with paweerfull radar would kick red a$$ .

My fav DLCs would be the non US naval aircraft (Aussie Skyhawk, Brit Phantom, French Sader). The last two are a must have for SF2NA, either DLC or TMF. Otherwise, i guess it would be Mirage3C, althought as i got SF2I, i keep Ludo´s great mod in SF2E.

Edited by macelena

Late Omani Hunter. The only drawback is that Limas friendly fire a lot.

The AWG-10 was much smaller and less powerful than the the F-14's AWG-9, but it used the same digital doppler radar adaptation that was much more like the fully digital radars of the F-15 and F-16 than the old analog pulse radars of the previous F-4s. Initially, it had a lot of reliability problems as it was cutting edge technology at the time it was built, but the F-4J, F-4K, and F-4M all had variants of this very capable radar. The later mods in the F-4J/F-4S were easily better than the APG-66 on the F-16 for interception/air combat purposes. Whereas the APQ-120 on the F-4E with its smaller football shaped antenna was in many ways a downgrade from the F-4D and its attempt at lookdown/shootdown (COORDS) was a failed system. The APQ-120 was more digital than the F-4D's APQ-109, but the smaller, cheaper APG-66 was essentially more capable with better displays.

To model the AWG-10 correctly, TK would have to expand the 70sAvionics.dll or make a separate "65" dll for interim radars that were much better than the 1960's radars of the F-4D and earlier yet not quite as flexible or user friendly as the 1970s multimode radars. The AWG-9 of the Tomcat was really in this interim generation as it was developed in the early 60s and modestly improved with digital retrofits, but I am pretty sure TK will make the AWG-9 a 70s dll radar like the F-15 and F-16.

Late Omani Hunter. The only drawback is that Limas friendly fire a lot.

Hey! Don't blame the missile! :grin:

I like the Mirage5BA alot, and the campaign customizer has been a godsend. Wish I had bought it when it came out instead of 2 weeks ago.

Planes I have: HunterF6, A-4G, MirageIII, HunterFG73(75/82), Mirage5BA, F8(FN) and F-8K.

Looking forward to more DLC after NA is released.

From a visually standpoint, the (F-4J) APG-59 radar of the AWG-10 ( and APG-60/61 of the AWG-11/12 of the F-4K/M)

was different only that in the doppler lookdown mode the presentation was in Velocity vs Azimuth

Similar to the "Velocity Search " modes of the Lock On F-15 etc.

The other modes were basically the same of what we have already.

APG-59 was still very limited, with the doppler function more a search mode and not really "shoot down", especially not with AIM-7E series missiles.

The F-4S had the improved AWG-10B with an upgraded APG-59 which was said to be much improved over the original version.

AWG stands for Aerial Weapon Group which descripes the complete system consisting of several sub-groups like the radar, missile firing computers, the optical sight etc.

Now going back on topic...

fav DLC is the MIIICZ and the M5BA :skull:

followed by Omani super Hunter and the F-8E and the A-4A ...

The A-4s collectively are my favorites. The Skyhawk was a badass little jet and there isn't a version of it I don't like.

The AWG-10 system went through progressive upgrades with three major versions:

AWG-10

AWG-10A

AWG-10B

The 10B on the F-4S was the "fully digital" version, but all of them had more modes and functionality than the F-4B before them.

The F-4S had the most radically improved mode selection and display changes, but even the base version had auto aquisition which is only available in the 70s avionics dll. As the radar was an integrated part of the system, there is no point in specifying its specific designation.

For an AWG-10 tech's best recollection of the details on the AWG-10/10A/10B systems, go here: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,149.0.html

It had more modes, more control knobs, and progressively different displays. When working correctly (initially it had very high failure rates), it also performed much better than any other radar used in the F-4. The final AWG-10B system looked a lot more like the digital APG-63 and APG-66 systems than any radar previously used by F-4s. It also had the option for a helmet mounted sight, but few were purchased due to cost considerations.

Check out this F-4J cockpit and compare how it looks to TK's early F-4J. The gunsight glass looks a lot more like a HUD (much wider and minimal frame) and the radar display indicator is clearly very different. This is not an F-4S, just a later F-4J. There used to be some sample display images available on the web, but I can't find them any more. This pilot's stick grip on an F-4J also reflected HOTAS improvements. Aside from the lack of a gun and slats, the F-4J was built to win dogfights with MiGs and with the arrival of the F-4S, slats were finally added. The F-4S is simply the best air superiority variant of the F-4 that the US ever flew (at least if you value a much better radar over an internal gun). It would be nice to see TK cover the variants of the F-4B/N and F-4J/S up to the end of the SF2 time frame (1982). They certainly would fit into the SF2NA release.

Now that i think about it, the lack of Argentine DLCs (Falklands era Skyhawks and Mirages) is kind of weird, given that the Falklands Mod is so popular and the basic models are made already. Hmmm, getting conspiranoic about some speculations i had discarded before...

what DLC birds I really like to sea, are the aformentioned F-4N & S, but late model Scooters -- a real A-4N, and A-4M

to say nothing of the OzMirages hinted at last year....

what DLC birds I really like to sea, are the aformentioned F-4N & S, but late model Scooters -- a real A-4N, and A-4M

+1 for that, Brother. A-4N_78 is already in the Lebanon War DATA.INI as an alternate, so...

The AWG-10 system went through progressive upgrades with three major versions:

AWG-10

AWG-10A

AWG-10B

The 10B on the F-4S was the "fully digital" version, but all of them had more modes and functionality than the F-4B before them.

The F-4S had the most radically improved mode selection and display changes, but even the base version had auto aquisition which is only available in the 70s avionics dll. As the radar was an integrated part of the system, there is no point in specifying its specific designation.

For an AWG-10 tech's best recollection of the details on the AWG-10/10A/10B systems, go here: http://www.secretpro...opic,149.0.html

It had more modes, more control knobs, and progressively different displays. When working correctly (initially it had very high failure rates), it also performed much better than any other radar used in the F-4. The final AWG-10B system looked a lot more like the digital APG-63 and APG-66 systems than any radar previously used by F-4s. It also had the option for a helmet mounted sight, but few were purchased due to cost considerations.

Check out this F-4J cockpit and compare how it looks to TK's early F-4J. The gunsight glass looks a lot more like a HUD (much wider and minimal frame) and the radar display indicator is clearly very different. This is not an F-4S, just a later F-4J. There used to be some sample display images available on the web, but I can't find them any more. This pilot's stick grip on an F-4J also reflected HOTAS improvements. Aside from the lack of a gun and slats, the F-4J was built to win dogfights with MiGs and with the arrival of the F-4S, slats were finally added. The F-4S is simply the best air superiority variant of the F-4 that the US ever flew (at least if you value a much better radar over an internal gun). It would be nice to see TK cover the variants of the F-4B/N and F-4J/S up to the end of the SF2 time frame (1982). They certainly would fit into the SF2NA release.

That would be amazing to see accurately portrayed. I have the F-4S downloaded from here but I think there is more to the real one then what is modeled in game. That sounds like a leap forward similar to that of the going straight from the P-51A straight to the H!