Olham

About Loyalty - über Loyalität

A forum friend (I won't say who) exchanged some PMs with me about the change of forums (? fora?) by OBD;

a change that was said was made due to the necessity of a company, to be available with their official forum,

for all problems and questions; for showing the new preview video to the waiting, etc.

We all know CA was offline for more than 3 days (which wouldn't have driven anyone to make such a move),

and so they finally made this step - because they felt they had to make a decision.

The decision was found quite drastic by many fans of Combat Ace, myself included.

I did not see it so much as a necessary business decision, but as a sudden, abrupt change against my will.

I had not even been asked; and I am part of all this; I am part of the forum. I have lots of stuff here.

In a way Combat Ace is an extension of my home. And it is a comfortable home.

I love being here.

My forum friend had a very different attitude to this change and the necessity of it; the importance or the

unimportance of likes and comfort. He reminded me of all what OBD have developed and built for us

for a very small price. How they have followed our posts about ideas, desires, likes and dislikes - and

how they worked out solutions, improvements, and dreams.

For some people - like me - they have fullfilled a lifetime dream; no less.

For some people they have built a desired plane, that is not of such immense importance for the WW1

air war, like the Fokker E.V / D.VIII (and then this woman left us before she could fly it), or the Snipe.

And my friend asked me, if we should not show some loyalty to OBD - no matter how much we disliked

the decision they thought they made for good.

I have been in my favourite park in the sun for two hours today, with the book "Immelmann - Der Adler

von Lille". But I couldn't concentrate on the (very good and interesting) book - had to think about my friend's

heavy words. Loyalty - almost an old fashioned word, like "chivalry".

He had made a direct hit. My anger, my opposition and my arguments all went down in flames.

Wasn't he so damn right - don't I want to support the guys, who made my dream come true; and who

did all that in a very small team in such a tireless way, like blood hounds on the trail of the right thing?

Now don't worry, my friends - I do not mean to say, that I must leave and move over to the new official forum.

All I want to say is, that it might be the perfect time to show some loyalty.

Not by leaving this forum behind.

Simply by showing up and posting in the new official forum too.

I will do - it can't take that much more of my time - could even double my victories.

I had to write that off of my heart. Thanks for reading.

Edited by Olham

I 100% agree that you have to be loyal to whats in your heart. My feelings are that loyalty is a 2 way street and while the OFF leadership jumped ship for some good and some shady reasons the place they went is the main issue not that they moved. The place they went has a history of dishonest and biased moderating and has harbored thieves and pirates and has used it's medderating power to protect said thieves.your points are as valid as mine and in the end you have to do what your heart tells you to but there is room here always for the OFF teams.I don't play OFF but I read these forums as I love WWI aviation and there is a wealth of great info and great people in this forum. I hope that you guys continue to post here as I can't in good concience go to that other place after their recent actions and treatment of my friends. I wish you guys luck their and hope you guys fare better than some others have.

Well that's I've been telling here and in SimHQ, Olham.

We owe them that. The community only exists because of OBD and OFF:

So will always to be where they are. Just do the extra mile and visit both forums.

I'm torn. I had no idea that SimHQ had such a reputation. But as Olham others have said, and in sympathy for OBD and all they have done, well, we have to keep something going for them. My guess is they aren't going to retire to a posh penthouse in the Caribbean for all their efforts. Still it's tough for me to keep up with two places, and this place is so much more comfortable. But that was one l-o-o-o-ng outage!

I'll pop in over there, but I don't know how we could possible lock, stock and barrell all just turn the lights out here and head over there.

(Preface: the following questions are actual questions, not rhetorical ones, lest they be mistaken for challenges.) What is the difference if the same people post there what they were going to post here, or vice-versa? For instance, if somebody posts a screenshot of a new skin that everyone comments on, what is the difference if it's done in one forum or another, if the same people are posting in each? Isn't it about the people, not where the people are?

Personally, I don't care where the official forum is; it's not as if I have to drive across town or anything. It's just two clicks away and I don't even have to put down my coffee cup. Nor do I feel that those who do care about the official forum location should not. I just don't understand, is all. It's all so mountain-out-of-a-mole-hill to me. :dntknw: So, I'm looking to understand a little more.

Olham, as eloquent as your post is, I'm with Jim on this one. I just don't see what all the fuss is about. :dunno:

... I don't know how we could possible lock, stock and barrell all just turn the lights out here and head over there.

Please read every word of my post, Human Drone - that was not what I asked anyone to do.

The difference of posting there or not is, wether the 'official forum' is alive or dead.

We can make it alive.

Edited by Olham

Oh, no, I didn't think you meant that! It is tough, though, to double-post, so I'll have to make an effort to get over there often enough to keep thing alaive, as it were, for them - as you say, to do my part...

I think both should be kept alive and well and I intend to support both. I certainly don't see myself being disloyal in any way by posting here - this forum is, after all, dedicated to OFF and there's a wealth of knowledge hidden away here. I think some members will stay here and some will go to Simhq - hopefully most members will support both as well.

Thanks Guys. We explained why we moved, and even Alex (MK2) who originally, as the owner CA, invited us to CA kindly commented that he totally understood the decision to move, and also posted about SimHQ being a good place to be.

Some comments http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3575057/3.html (MK2 is 5th & 8th posts).

One thing whiteknight06604 I must comment on. Integrity is very important to us, and there were NO "shady" reasons AT ALL to move.

Edited by Polovski

Pol

You guys had a business decision to make and you have to look out for your interests. I have no ill will for you going there. I fully support what you had to do. Just don't be a stranger. :drinks:

Besides we have opened the beer tab in your name........ :lol:

@Olham

I feel like a kid in the candy store with a fist full of pennys trying to decide which Forum to go to first. We should consider ourselves so lucky to have two outstandingly great Flight Sims forums that cater to me and my addiction. What is so difficult about sharing loyalties? What is so hard about having two separate hot-links on the desktop? I can hardly wait to get home every evening and see who and what new stuff has been posted on both of them.

Double the pleasure, Double the Fun!!!

OlPaint

What? You opened a beer tab? Can someone lead me to the wat... erh - beer, please?

Regardless of the reason's (Pol has made quite clear)...for a forum, it's all about 'where you feel you fit in'

I was a member a long while ago of SimHQ...and I don't wish to upset the apple cart...but, it got a bad reputation, for fanbois....and other 'unpleasantness' stalking it's hallowed boards....and, about that time OFF P1 came out...and the forum was on Sim Outhouse..so i moved...and of course, moved again to CA, when the S.O. poop hit the fan!

Much as I would love to support OFF on SimHQ.... I have to be quite honest, with myself..and them. It just isn't going to happen.

I'm one of the long time fans of OFF as you all know, but I'm getting too old for all this moving about stuff!....I'm happy where I am

I have limited hours in the day these days...all my friends are here, the new Mods are in place...and I actually think that having both forums, is a good thing!...as more people will learn about the Sim

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

As ever, a thoughtful and nuanced post, Olham,

personally I have no qualms at all over using both, but I

must admit that CA feels like "home". Besides, this is

where the BOC lives.

It was rotten luck that CA went down at a critical time

for OBD.

Thanks Dave we appreciate your support a lot. We are working round the clock at the moment but pop in to post here too of course.

UK_W totally understand no problem.

As to the beer tab it's always open in this officers mess!

whiteknight06604 there was nothing shady in us moving at all from anyone.

Edited by Polovski

I am in the same boat as Olham on this matter I have thought about this for days and these are my thoughts boiled down .

CA gave us a home when we had to move from the other forums now that CA is having troubles it just does not feel right to walk out on them .

Just my funny way of walking I guess .

cheers

Olham, your heart seems to be always in the right place.

I hope to see you here and over at SimHQ.

Crossbones

Thanks Guys. We explained why we moved, and even Alex (MK2) who originally, as the owner CA, invited us to CA, kindly commented that he totally understood the decision to move, and also posted about SimHQ being a good place to be.

I fully intend to keep a foot in each camp. This is not an either/or situation; it's just more good stuff to read with my morning coffee.

As I said in another forum, we need to remember that we are not the OFF community, but only part of it. We are the OFF forum community. We are blessed with a knowledge of internet geography and know where to go to find stuff out about our Sim and it's rivals, but new blood / fresh customers don't automatically have that knowledge. They have one point of contact, and that had gone down and seemed to be staying down.

It doesn't matter whether CA was down for 3 days or a month, the problem which couldn't be ignored was the guys here didn't know if it was gone for good and had to do something. Just speculate for a moment, say the CA forum was down for good, (and who knew better? - it could have been), how long would you have waited to find an alternative location to interact with your customers?

I like the CA forum, I always have, and for all the reasons people have said, but I hope both forums survive. But before we all nail our colours to the CombatAce cause and swear undying allegiance, I hate to do it, but I have to point out just one single little email from the CA board telling somebody OBD what the problem was would almost certainly have avoided this change in forum location happening in the first place. That's not disloyalty saying so, that's simply what happened, by direct cause and effect.

Was OBD too hasty in coming to a permanent decision? Not for me to judge. I suppose it depends on whether emails weren't answered either. Perhaps it wasn't just a forum issue but complete communication meltdown. Think about it - that does suggest something more terminal than the forum going offline.

OBD has a history of making the right decisions. I'll support both forums, but if push comes to shove, I'm sticking with them.

Well, as I noted in another thread, it's just added immersion as far as I'm concerned. SimHQ is now OFF's official forum and serves as our very own St. Omer, where all the Brass Hats are situated and from where all official despatches and orders disseminate; while our old forums here at Combat Ace act as Bailleul aerodrome, our long-standing base of operations and where we can all hang our collective flying caps.

Not an either-or in my book but rather both, and all the better for it. :smile:

I hate to do it, but I have to point out just one single little email from the CA board telling somebody OBD what the problem was would almost certainly have avoided this change in forum location happening in the first place.

Would of loved to been able to do that but even the CA email was down. We were down totally and unexpectily. It came back up as suddenly as it went down. No warning, no nothing. If there was a way to do it I would of. But there wasnt.