Dave

Anyone Else Get An Update Notification for SF2? -July 2013 patch

Yes, I had the same thing when started the game after patching. Game hanged when I tried to watch the map. This happened only once, and now it's OK.

I'd say heck all these damn patches, not the game.

It's in the mission planning screen that it locks up.  I was just trying to find out what altitude and speed for my waypoints and it locks up but good.

I didn't have any problems going to the map screen during the missions.

It's in the mission planning screen that it locks up.

Yes, I meant planning screen, not in-flight map.

Seems quite a few decals.ini have been changed to have decals disappearing earlier than previously.

Quite a few skins have switched from BMP to JPG as well.

There seems to be quite a few new specular maps.

I think we're in for quite a few new bugs...

The An-12_DATA.ini now has a ClimbSpeed value of "97.22ffu", and the [Nose] ModelNodeName became "Nose" instead of "FuselageFront" (which might be a correction but given the LOD hasn't changed since 2010 it seems weird).

Edited by Gunrunner

I think I'll be content with Jul 2012 for a while longer. Doesn't sound like anything has been added that will change my experience for the better. Plus, right now I am 87 missions into a 100-mission Rolling Thunder campaign in the F-105. I am not keen on starting over.

You'd think that by now TK would have a validation tool... at least HE has access to all variables, possible values and ranges, it should be fairly easier (and make it faster for him to work, integrate temporary contractors and conduct quality control).

Edited by Gunrunner

Re: KAW Skyraiders

it's the same issue I experienced with the stock Spit 9s after the May 2013 patch. Notice it's only the decals on the RIGHT side, left are ok.

It's a data ini problem.

backup/rename the original, as you'll be copy/pasting bits from it

One needs to extract the LATEST NEWEST data ini -at the July '13 patch level, copy paste all the relevant 'new statements' I added (lights, canopy, engine sound, pilot figure etc)

this needs doing for all the KAW skyraiders built from TKs A-1H (any with the _3W tag)

it's a 5 minute job; when the downloads are active again, I'll post the relevant new/rebuilt data inis

edit:

the same will HAVE to be done to the later, post-Korean SPADs too (A-1H, A-1H_67, A-1J, A-1J_67)

Edited by Wrench
  • Like 1

Re: KAW Skyraiders

It's a data ini problem.

backup/rename the original, as you'll be copy/pasting bits from it

One needs to extract the LATEST NEWEST data ini -at the July '13 patch level, copy paste all the relevant 'new statements' I added (lights, canopy, engine sound, pilot figure etc)

this needs doing for all the KAW skyraiders built from TKs A-1H (any with the _3W tag)

it's a 5 minute job; when the downloads are active again, I'll post the relevant new/rebuilt data inis

Helps for anything using TW aircraft as a baseline, example STORMs F-4Ns or any Phantom with exhaust effects added

frakking wonderful!!

as has been reported elsewhere, the game seizes up on single missions, carrier based, and one needs to c/a/d to task manager to get out.

oh yah. methinks I'll be spending the ENTIRE weekend, NOT working on my terrain, but rebuilding all my installs - down to the exes back to june 2012

just what I wanted to do

Edited by Wrench
should've mentioned, it's ww2 PTO install

I'm contemplating using June 2012 or May 2013 EXE and DLL with a mix of July 2013 CAT (at least for some of the modified LODs) and files extracted/modified from earlier versions, but the amount of work seems far too important considering the possibility that we'll have to face another patch soon.

Edited by Gunrunner

In my case, available service years appearing in the single mission screen are different than the ones in the data.ini 

tiopilotos, for which plane exactly, have you checked with the userlist as well ? TK might have modified the engine to give priority to userlist dates over those in data.ini.

Also remember that the dates behave erratically when outside of the range defined in options.ini

Edited by Gunrunner

Aways Wise To Keep A Complete Backup Of All Patch Levels.There Is Nothing Worse Than To Spend Hours On A Serious Build And Then A Patch Level Comes Along And Takes Away A Critcal Function.Everybody Has There Own Style For Me I Could Not Stand To See A Slow Missile Chase After Energy Bleed Has Taken Its Toll.Aerodynamics And Map Functions Should Always Occupy A Standard Range.Otherwise We Will Always Be Adjusting Stall Ranges, Shock Damping,Map Wall Coordinates,Etc,Etc. I Tend To Like Historical Setups Where And When The Post Vietnam Era Became A Serious Penetration Problem With Advanced Proliferation Of Air Defences.The Good Thing Is This Game Is And Remains For Now Highly Moddable.

Also remember that the dates behave erratically when outside of the range defined in options.ini

Ooops! For some reason, mission dates were ranged between 1970 and 1984 in options.ini

Fixed. Thanks!

Edited by tiopilotos

I also expirienced the lockups.

But not when trying to access the map but when i tried to access the loadoud screen.

It happend in single missions and campains with stock aircraft and stock campains.

Event viewer showed me de faulting module is C:\Program Files (x86)\ThirdWire\Strike Fighters\Core\GraphicsEngineDX10.dll

So I replaced the GraphicsEngineDX10.dll with a older version. ( I had a backup of the game dir )

And I haven't had a single lockup since.

So, does this patch improve anything?

So far, not really, it may improve performances but is more unstable than the previous one, it does correct a few things and adds new LODs and skins, but introduces some new sloppy INI errors, so I would stear clear of it and wait for the next one, apparently all of us testing it are back-rolling as fast as possible (I was in the process of going back into the game, remaking most of my installs from scratch and then Erik decides to update hardware, putting downloads offline for a week while they transfer (a wonderful idea, just bad timing for me)... and the new patch screws things).

The new Spits (when made player flyable) show no improvement. Player aircraft has no tailwheel (but wingmen do!) and it's take-off characteristics are delightfully unpredictable and dangerous. Still having loads of fun though!

Wait, are you sure Spinners ? With a stock July 2013 install I have no tailwheel trouble with the new Spitfires (and no FM trouble in Normal, in Hard it's still FUBARed, but most planes, especially props are, TK almost abandoned Hard for quite some time and there's zero chance he's spending time on it for AI only planes), are you sure you don't have an old data.ini for them in the aircraft folder ?

Don't waste your energy fixing. Since the patch has broken the carrier missions, it's sure there's a new patch coming.....fixing one of two things and broken 1000........TK is from Texas, but He has Chinese quality control.

No, it is just an small company, and WE are quality control

I just about had it with TK. I dont know what his F, ing problem is. Its almost seems like he is going out of his way to sabotage the modder comunity.

I just about had it with TK. I dont know what his F, ing problem is. Its almost seems like he is going out of his way to sabotage the modder comunity.

Maybe you should teach TK about QC...

Maybe you should teach TK about QC...

he only knows MC ,,,money control..its been said before by others and im going to echo it . The only reason his series is still popular, is due to the expansions created ( at no cost and on their personal time ) by the modding community (and it doesnt matter from which site).

but frustration has caused many telented people to give up, and  others are just at the end of their tolerance limits..shame

Edited by Veltro2k

I didn't notice any weirdness in my heavily moded install :dntknw:

*Runs away before angry mob picks up the stones  :rofl: "

• Like 1