swambast

WIP - B-52 / Large Aircraft: Military Hangar

Hi, while modding time is challenged these days I've had at least 3 requests to make a very large aircraft hangar, capable of housing something like B-52s, KC-135 fueling tankers and more.  As far as I understand, we don't really have too many hangar options of that scale.  So I decided to honor the requests and made this one from scratch.  This is the version I am using, which is much more typical than what you find in some of the newer reference images (e.g., the newer half-dome / wide arc hangars from recent images are very new and quite rare costing est. $34M).  Anyway, let me know of any suggestions you might have; otherwise once I finalize the exterior, I will begin creating an interior version as well.  Side note, I've created it so the center emblem is completely customizable - you can remove it altogether, you can easily add your own version, etc. so this should allow great flexibility to use it as you need it.  Thanks.

image.thumb.png.777bcec5fb5684fd3bc43d2d8025798d.png/

image.thumb.png.864f5609f2e473f05305f6dc8c1a6a47.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

funny you should mention that ... I just made a request to GKABS, after his most recent release, for a "open hangar big enough to stuff a B-52 or 747 into". Given that we have static models for the 747, 707, A-300 series, and several others, be a nice addition to eye candy. Not everything fits into stary's Hangar #6 (although I have put a b-17 in one!)

9 minutes ago, Wrench said:

funny you should mention that ... I just made a request to GKABS, after his most recent release, for a "open hangar big enough to stuff a B-52 or 747 into". Given that we have static models for the 747, 707, A-300 series, and several others, be a nice addition to eye candy. Not everything fits into stary's Hangar #6 (although I have put a b-17 in one!)

Wow, that is ironic indeed and good timing...:lol:

I would be happy as always to partner with @GKABS on any thing he might have in the works, as we've partnered on similar structures in the past and they really turned out nice!

• Like 6

Great job! Your attention to detail is impressive and your work is thorough, you have a sharp eye for detail and always strive for excellence.

36 minutes ago, swambast said:

I would be happy as always to partner with @GKABS on any thing he might have in the work

Working with you is an honor and I enjoyed every moment of our work together.

Keep up the excellent work!

• Like 5

Thank you for your kind words GKABS, and likewise the countless contributions you've made here are amazing indeed.  :clapping: I am looking forward to the opportunity to partner on another project again soon!

• Like 1

Need some input here - for the rear of the hangar is there a preference to have it a closed wall structure?  In some cases, it seems like the front hangar doors are mirrored in the rear as well, meaning you can enter and exit through front and back.  Hope that makes sense describing it?  So, would it be best to do 1) a front open hangar door with a closed rear wall or 2) a front open hangar door with similar hangar door in rear (e.g., mirrored front and back)?  

If it was open at both ends we could do this..

or this..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

why not both? leave it to the terraformer which to use when and where. just my 3.5 cents

• Like 2

Looks pretty nice, and very welcome.

Something similar also for the red side possible?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Soulfreak said:

Something similar also for the red side possible?

did Warpac ever have hangars that large? i dont ever recall seeing a pic of a large Soviet bomber or cargo bird being worked on in a hangar

11 hours ago, daddyairplanes said:

did Warpac ever have hangars that large? i dont ever recall seeing a pic of a large Soviet bomber or cargo bird being worked on in a hangar

I´m not sure, but i guess so.

Somewhere the big WP birds must have been maintained etc...

would YOU want to work out in the open during a Russian winter????  :haha:

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Wrench said:

would YOU want to work out in the open during a Russian winter????  :haha:

beats counting trees in Siberian winter

The USAF did a bit better than the Soviet Air Force on the "treat its people good" front.

hell, i think the USMC even beat the Soviets on that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Progress update:  started on open hangar version first since it’s obviously going to be more complex and detailed.  New support struts and scratch texturing based on reference pics, added exterior paneling details including weathering and riveting, strung up the overhead lamps, etc.  Any other suggested changes, let me know.  Otherwise, I will assume is OK and move into my favorite part of modeling – adding in details for the interior which I always enjoy (always a sucker for the details).

Side note: @allenjb42 - that is awesome!  Maybe you can give it a try through these hangars soon enough....LOL

image.thumb.png.1fdefed343bf027d5efd117a07ca47c2.png

image.thumb.png.78b8f1ee7760164176a1583aaa514047.png

Edited by swambast
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2024 at 6:34 AM, Soulfreak said:

Somewhere the big WP birds must have been maintained etc...

On 1/30/2024 at 8:33 AM, Wrench said:

would YOU want to work out in the open during a Russian winter????

generally, they are going to the mother's womb for a big deal...small things can be dealt with on-site.

Large Hangars are not unique for the west. The east had it too. Here soviet aircrafts in a big hangar.

65cd1a489938c_MiG-23MBild2MiG-23MimHangarFotoWauptschassow.thumb.jpg.a7da0bd605acd61a68f0ec9dae912f0d.jpg

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Gepard said:

Large Hangars are not unique for the west. The east had it too. Here soviet aircrafts in a big hangar.

stands to reason for deep maintenance on tactical jets

did you guys have anything along these lines for the really big birds though?

TARV01P08_17.jpg.afded91eb0f904ac0a67d27aa08c3503.jpg151216-F-IO108-005.thumb.jpg.c5508a48ddca7c3b07fba7fafe4e8870.jpg

these are the kind of things i dont ever recall seeing pics of. Il-76s, An-12s, all the Tu's.... always seen sitting outside

not saying they didnt exist, just that any pics shared of WARPAC cargo hangars would be the first i've seen (and possibly many others of us)

• Like 1

Is this hangar big enough?

il-76md-90a-third_76821.jpg.d858f4033334cefb30f8416dddacbfee.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And this picture shows a civil hangar in Berlin Schönefeld:

Bild1.jpg.51a449bd2db7323fc672647753478aba.jpg

It was big enough for 3 or 4 IL-62 airliners.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Gepard said:

And this picture shows a civil hangar in Berlin Schönefeld:

It was big enough for 3 or 4 IL-62 airliners.

this, more than your first one, is what im talking about.  Interflug places it squarely in the old days

minus context, the Il-76 could be 1994, it could be impounded somewhere last week

• Like 1

THAT'S the kind of hangar I'm talkin' about!!!! :good:

OK, some weekend progress - first round and start of "interior decorating".  Will continue to add more details and interior props soon enough, hope you enjoy for now, thanks!   

image.thumb.png.a7642b1c207333cc9c15ad25afb03aef.png

image.thumb.png.54e283e158e72dbcdfa01ef8ca18099a.png

image.thumb.png.70d5dd62946e79f1cd7156f170c134a8.png

• Like 11

Can you change the Coke machine to Pepsi?  :lol:

but seriously, that's freeking AWESOME!!!!

Looks like somebody doesn't have a good taste in sodas... :lol:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Wrench said:

Can you change the Coke machine to Pepsi?  :lol:

contract bids for next fiscal year open up in June*,  you can see about being the primary supplier for base vending machines then.

ok it opens in May, but I like Dr Pepper and Pepsi machines rarely have it :lol:

• Haha 2