Posted (edited)

Hi,

a couple of months ago i discovered this gorgeous total conversion called "Yankee Air Pirate", and that the "REVAMP" edition for SF2 (the original one was for WOV) existed, and other awesome total conversions like "Drug Wars" and "Flight School" too, so i got ready to download them, but since i hadn't enough space at the time, i waited.

Now i come back on the website to find out all the links and pages about the revamp are gone, there's only the original ones for SF1 series.

Do anyone of you know why they're gone? Will they come back? They're maybe updating the mods?

Thanks

Edited by JamesWilson

YAP was famous for IIRC shafting the modders who worked on the project, stole from people and so on. It doesn't have a good reputation, and hopefully YAP-RW fixes that issue. I know they contacted me about some things for one of their projects, and they give full credit, unlike the original YAP team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, JamesWilson said:

Why Menrva said there's something wrong in YAP and others? They look amazing mods

I already explained why in that other topic, but I'll repeat myself. YAP for SF1 monetized upon freeware mods from CombatACE without permission from the respective authors. I'm not talking about the quality of the assets (of which I cannot talk about, as I do not own these products) but about their legality. On the surface the YAP products look amazing, but they did wrong to some modders and 3d modelers of CombatACE. Up to you if you wish to play with such contents, some of which were sold while they were freeware at CombatACE. I hope this is clear enough. I'm not referring to YAP-RW which is an entirely different project with a different aim.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, EricJ said:

YAP was famous for IIRC shafting the modders who worked on the project, stole from people and so on. It doesn't have a good reputation, and hopefully YAP-RW fixes that issue. I know they contacted me about some things for one of their projects, and they give full credit, unlike the original YAP team.

Roger that.

It's shame these things happened, looks like a stunning mod

2 minutes ago, JamesWilson said:

Roger that.

It's shame these things happened, looks like a stunning mod

It does, even though I don't really get much into the Vietnam War. And yeah it's a no-brainer that they should have at least asked, rather than jacking a mod and making somebody pay for free work. Anyway as said I hope the YAP-RW team makes a better mod and such.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Menrva said:

I already explained why in that other topic, but I'll repeat myself. YAP for SF1 monetized upon freeware mods from CombatACE without permission from the respective authors. I'm not talking about the quality of the assets (of which I cannot talk about, as I do not own these products) but about their legality. On the surface the YAP products look amazing, but they did wrong to some modders of CombatACE. Up to you if you wish to play with such contents, some of which were sold while they were freeware at CombatACE. I hope this is clear enough. I'm not referring to YAP-RW which is an entirely different project with a different aim.

Oh thanks, i didn't read that specific part.

I only plan to play the RW mods, once they're available again

7 minutes ago, Menrva said:

I'm not referring to YAP-RW which is an entirely different project with a different aim.

i agree they are doing good things, and strive to properly credit (and have even removed things when someone objects). 

but i do see the other side that a large portion of there work is derived from YAP itself, as is even evident in the title. that is still enough to leave a bad taste in the mouths of some folks.

for the record, i have helped them to some degree, mostly working on trimming down their file sizes (moving from bmp to jpg, removing duplicates and unneccesary files). so long as they maintain it as free use, i have no problem with them myself

also of note i posted on their page requesting they update the new homepage status (last check they were seeking donations to get a page up and running) and clarify how to get it in the meantime

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EricJ said:

It does, even though I don't really get much into the Vietnam War. And yeah it's a no-brainer that they should have at least asked, rather than jacking a mod and making somebody pay for free work. Anyway as said I hope the YAP-RW team makes a better mod and such.

Yeah i heard RW is gorgeous, can't wait to play it!

They should have asked, all rights have to be respected

Just now, JamesWilson said:

Yeah i heard RW is gorgeous, can't wait to play it!

They should have asked, all rights have to be respected

Agreed

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

i agree they are doing good things, and strive to properly credit (and have even removed things when someone objects). 

but i do see the other side that a large portion of there work is derived from YAP itself, as is even evident in the title. that is still enough to leave a bad taste in the mouths of some folks.

for the record, i have helped them to some degree, mostly working on trimming down their file sizes (moving from bmp to jpg, removing duplicates and unneccesary files). so long as they maintain it as free use, i have no problem with them myself

also of note i posted on their page requesting they update the new homepage status (last check they were seeking donations to get a page up and running) and clarify how to get it in the meantime

In my opinion it's a great mod and should be free, so that everyone can enjoy it and have fun, since these issues happened.

gents it is awesome, and once we get "how" straightened out i do reccomend getting it.

and like EricJ said, im not into Vietnam too much, almost all of my focus traditionally being post Nam ('75) to Allied Force (Kosovo '99)

• Thanks 1

Just now, JamesWilson said:

In my opinion it's a great mod and should be free, so that everyone can enjoy it and have fun, since these issues happened.

well, nothings totally free

you can only post so big a file on FB, or allow so many people to access a Google drive. at som point you gotta have a site

and no amount of likes, non monetary fan support or best wishes  pays for that.

are you  a member of the group on FB?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

change 23:

new site is still a work in progress, it will be a few weeks until it is ready.

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

you can only post so big a file on FB, or allow so many people to access a Google drive. at som point you gotta have a site

Not yet a member on FB, are the files there?

I remember seeing them on their site under YAP-RW, DW-RW and FS-RW, but now i can't find them anywhere, and when i click on some RW link, i get error 404.

Did they remove the RW versions from their site? Why is that?

45 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

change 23:

new site is still a work in progress, it will be a few weeks until it is ready.

Oh so that's the reason why RW mods disappeared?

51 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

I wish other mods on their site were remade for SF2 and free too, but we still have Yankee Air Pirate (which sounds gorgeous and the most complete vietnam war mod for SF ever), Drug War (which gives a complete different and interesting view on a front we never would have expected to see in a flight simulator), and Flight School (which i can't wait to try and learn from it).

If i got it correctly, there are no more founders for these mods, so that's why they are and should be free, they belong to the community now. And also if i understood correctly it was illegal to sell them? Or maybe a got this part wrong

33 minutes ago, JamesWilson said:

but we still have Yankee Air Pirate (which sounds gorgeous and the most complete vietnam war mod for SF ever

no, it is not. 

And there are many inaccuracies, in the old one, and in the revamped one too. But it is just a matter of how you look at things. Anyway nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JamesWilson said:

Oh so that's the reason why RW mods disappeared?

yes as well as they are doing some fine tuning of both site and the mods prior to going live. not a bad idea really

do be prepared when you go to get it, last i checked it was about 15-16 GB install. thats after alot of trimming down; the Aircraft folder alone was 15 GB when they started, and the decals another dozen. its better now but still pretty damn big

• Thanks 1

I got the first part when the RW group first dropped it. Honestly, I was NOT impressed, either with the aircraft or the terrain mods. Now, that being said there are some nice 'eye candy' pieces that would look good incorporated into other period terrains. But top of the line, no. (now, remember I"m speaking ONLY of this 1st part)

The original WW2 PTO mods were also not that impressive, although, again, having some nice bits. And don't even get me started on YAPs Persian Gulf fiasco.

I do remember their basic tennant --- "we're telling (selling) stories, not the various objects needed to tell them" (or words to that effect)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

quite abit of the YAP original never impressed me either (i've come by pieces over the years). their 707 skins vs my new at that time 707 tga skins actually planted the idea in my head that i might know what im doing :lol:

for me, like DAT, its not the stuff commonly available here but the uncommon stuff (F-100F most immedieatly comes to mind)

if it is freely available, and enough interest in it takes off, im sure folks will get to tinkering and improving it (like we do everything else!)

• Thanks 1

On 25/4/2024 at 7:18 PM, yakarov79 said:

no, it is not. 

And there are many inaccuracies, in the old one, and in the revamped one too. But it is just a matter of how you look at things. Anyway nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Oh didn't know that, i thought it was the best Vietnam War mod you could get for SF2