Posted (edited)

I know the golden era of Vietnam passion is behind us, and many prefer post-Vietnam flying these days.  But, I’ve been especially motivated by some recent activities.  This includes some behind the scenes discussions with veteran modders.  And GKABS recent work with the Intruder, has been really great to see.  Beyond this, considering the never ending controversary of YAP stuff, multiple tragedies on the WTR Project and a general lapse in Vietnam-era assets…I thought it would be interesting to start a specific thread for those that still find this Vietnam era appealing.  And especially any modders that would be willing to potentially collaborate on projects.  From there I had some additional ideas to share if there's enough interest.  Welcome your thoughts and comments on this topic, thanks.

Edited by swambast
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

It was very much part of my formative years. I'm one of the kids that grew up in the 60 (born 1957), so I watched The War every night on the news.

• Like 1

... in fact someone says that Vietnam war was lost on TV!

I'm a little youger (1964), but I remeber well the last years of the conflict, especially the fall of Saigon drama on TV too.

I purchased YAP from its site several years ago and I'ld be interested to be involved in a Vietnam war mod revival.

About using payware YAP items for our future freeware content, I'ld be very sure that it'ld be legal.

:pilotfly:

Mt brotherinlaw, a captain in the USAF, flew Thuds I think out of Udorn {might have been one of the other bases] did his alotment of missions and made it back home safe and sound.  So yes the Vietnam era is my favorite and the Phantom is my screen saver

• Like 2

I agree. Along with World War II, the Vietnam era is one of my favorites. I was born later than that (1967), but I grew up with Corsairs, Phantoms and Skyhawks.

My view on Vietnam War is from the other side of iron curtain.

• Like 2

Count me in.

Vietnam feels to me like the last generation of aircraft that were really seat-of-the-pants; they had the performance but had analogue dials everywhere, simple radar, rubbish missiles, dumb bombs, dive bombing, SAMs being new and AAA still ruling the battlespace up to 30000ft... The last generation before FBW, glass cockpits and BVR engagements. I love reading and learning about all aspects of the Vietnam war anyway, but the air war is particularly interesting to me. You couldn't have a story like Leo Thorsness', or Robin Olds Gunfighters nowadays.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Alright, decent interest.  Now just curious, what modding skills can be brought to the table - do we have 3d modellers, texture artists, _data.ini gurus,  terrain tile artists, etc.  that would be willing to potentially contribute?  

Edited by swambast

My MiGs will be always available of course...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, swambast said:

Alright, decent interest.  Now just curious, what modding skills can be brought to the table - do we have 3d modellers, texture artists, _data.ini gurus,  terrain tile artists, etc.  that would be willing to potentially contribute?  

bigger still,  do we have new folks willing to cut teeth on modding skills, and established modders willing to mentor them?

all with the interest in topic as well of course

• Like 1

My only previous experience in game development was over 20 years ago, and it was in historical research and direction; I worked on the very first iteration of the Red Orchestra mod. I have no skills in actual modding beyond installing mods into this game (which is difficult enough for me!

Posted (edited)
On 5.5.2024 at 3:24 PM, swambast said:

What exactly is your plan? If my understanding is right, WTR was/is pretty much centered on the story of Ed Rasimus and his F-105. Continuing that one or are there plans for a more complete Vietnam War approach like eburgers "SF2 Vietnam Air and Ground Enhancement"? In the latter I would be somehow interested.

Edited by Nyghtfall
typo

" .. in fact someone says that Vietnam war was lost on TV! " LOL

I'm a '64 born so I saw some of it at TV news. I am kindda akin to Vietnam war era. I loved all sims about it and played them all. In fact I can say I never felt I had enough of them until this very day. I loved how that F-4 Phantom ugly bird looks. I always have.

On 5/5/2024 at 4:24 PM, swambast said:

Now is that point, it seems, where things get interesting. I can't wait to see where all this is going! :p

On 5/5/2024 at 11:11 AM, daddyairplanes said:

bigger still,  do we have new folks willing to cut teeth on modding skills, and established modders willing to mentor them?

all with the interest in topic as well of course

It's been years since I've messed with this game, I'd certainly be interested in taking this time and opportunity to relearn, learn, and finally give back. Enjoyed digging through data inis as a teenager and I'm willing to do that again.