Sign in to follow this  
Niklas

Laser Guided bombs and mavericks, how to ?

Hm, i don't get it, how do i use these in WoE i know how to use them in other sims but i can't bloody get the mav's to work, i cant pan and or zoom the cam nor can i destignate a target for them, same with LGB's how do i tell the aircraft where i want them to guide. Same with unguided, is the target computer not simulated? i have to drop them WWII style eg divebomb to hit.

I hope that someone explains this to me cuz i've rtfm and scanned the forums but........

Flying mostly phantoms, tornados, f/a-18, viggen

Thanks alot

Niklas

It's way simpler in Thirdwire's than in other sims. (no cams to lock on, etc)

Basically, you need to select your target with the e key. Let's say you've been sent on a strike against the Evil comm building: press "e", it will be selectionned. Once in range, fire your maverick, and voila!

I've wondered a lot for LGB, as my F-18 was not able to load a designation pod. Actually, you do not need one (might not be simulated by the engine yet). Just do the same: e key, and drop once in range. I fired my first LGB since Fighter Anthology yesterday, I used this way, and it worked.

Unguided bombing needs practice. A lot of. Some modern planes do have CCIP, but most older ones (early 70's and before) do not. Therefore it's indeed in WW2 fashion: dive bombing and eye-ball mark I target computer. :yes:

Edited by Emp_Palpatine

It's way simpler in Thirdwire's than in other sims. (no cams to lock on, etc)

Basically, you need to select your target with the e key. Let's say you've been sent on a strike against the Evil comm building: press "e", it will be selectionned. Once in range, fire your maverick, and voila!

I've wondered a lot for LGB, as my F-18 was not able to load a designation pod. Actually, you do not need one (might not be simulated by the engine yet). Just do the same: e key, and drop once in range. I fired my first LGB since Fighter Anthology yesterday, I used this way, and it worked.

Unguided bombing needs practice. A lot of. Some modern planes do have CCIP, but most older ones (early 70's and before) do not. Therefore it's indeed in WW2 fashion: dive bombing and eye-ball mark I target computer. :yes:

Ok, thanks alot! So theres no way to make 'em more realistic then in woe, the mavs and lgbs.

Hmm RTFM.

In short Maveriks or other EOGR Missles:

1. Select them ;-) >> a tv screen comes up in the upper right corner of the screen and if aircrft is equiped with a TV screen in the cockpit too

2. Pick up a target via pressing E: If you're facing the target, the seeker should lock onto the target

3. Release the missle and watch it fly, you're free to pick another target and fire until you're out of missles.

LGB:

1. Select them ;-) >> a tv screen comes up in the upper right corner of the screen and if aircrft is equiped with a TV screen in the cockpit too

2. Pick a target E key again: If it's the primary target this one will always be illuminated.

3. Pickle once you're within release parameters.

If your target isn't the primary and your aircraft is not equiped with a LD/Targeting pod you are outta luck cause then you can't release the LGBs.

S!

Another little trick for Laser Guided Bombs and Electro Optical Guided Bombs that is not in the manual is knowing when to drop them from a level run. I use the rule 1/2 RELEASE ALTITUDE = RELEASE POINT. So if I'm dropping from 18,000 ft = 9 miles from the target is where I drop. They hit every time, unless there was a nearby obstruction they didn't clear.

Another little trick for Laser Guided Bombs and Electro Optical Guided Bombs that is not in the manual is knowing when to drop them from a level run. I use the rule 1/2 RELEASE ALTITUDE = RELEASE POINT. So if I'm dropping from 18,000 ft = 9 miles from the target is where I drop. They hit every time, unless there was a nearby obstruction they didn't clear.

That's a good estrategy! But 9miles = 9nm?

Wich pods are desegnation pod?

With LGBs, GPS, and TV bombs you can not pull any gs before and during release (it think it is more like 3), or it will go flopping about like napalm and won't guide (in Sims like JANES you can toss em).

If you release to close it won't guide.

To steep of a dive, it will go wide.

In order patches if you let go to far, the weapon would just detonate in air, now if falls.

You need a laser pod or laser ability (like Mig-27) to successfully drop one. With a pod or laser ability you can lase any ground object in the game that you can lock up with the "e" key.

TV bombs, tv missiles, and JDAMs can be loaded on any plane than has the data ini configured to carry them, no laser pod needed.

Here's a pretty simple tutorial on LGBs. Mavs are so damn nice though and not real hard to use, perhaps the best missile around these days... You'll need Adobe PDF Reader to read the file.

GWU.zip

You know, I can answer your inquiry on the Maverick missile. When I go in for an attack run in say, an A-4 that I added from my WoV... I select a target and carefully turn toward it, too far off and the missile won't lock. Once the missile has sought out its target You should look at your radar screen. There should be 4 lines emanating from the sides of the screen. Your target should be in the center, then you fire. I prefer to stay on course with a drastic speed increase until the target is eliminated.

Mavs are infinitely useful. I like to load down AV-8s with as many as I can when I go on SEAD missions.

If its a strike mission, usually the primary target is "painted" for you, so even if you don't have a pod or a built in system, you can drop bombs. But you won't be able to drop on other targets. Don't know if that works in CAS missions.

zmatt- indeed, I find mavs far more effective than ARMs for SEAD, as they'll seek after whatever is targeted, not just radar sources.

TV bombs, tv missiles, and JDAMs can be loaded on any plane than has the data ini configured to carry them, no laser pod needed.

True. But when in doubt use the SRAM!(a weapon of mass destruction) :biggrin:

True. But when in doubt use the SRAM!(a weapon of mass destruction) :biggrin:

"SRAM. when you really care to send the very best." :biggrin:

"SRAM. when you really care to send the very best." :biggrin:
SRAM, When it and everything else has to be left in ruins! :biggrin:

SRAM "If you can only bring one thing"

Edited by zmatt

If its a strike mission, usually the primary target is "painted" for you, so even if you don't have a pod or a built in system, you can drop bombs. But you won't be able to drop on other targets. Don't know if that works in CAS missions.

zmatt- indeed, I find mavs far more effective than ARMs for SEAD, as they'll seek after whatever is targeted, not just radar sources.

It all depends on certain conditions.

If you are flying a mission in lousy weather, a Maverick might not be the ideal weapon for taking on SAM sites. Recently, i used an F-4E loaded with 2 Standards and 2 Shrikes. While my wingman went after the target i was up over the cloud deck at about 33,000ft, throttled back and listening to all the inbound flights as well as studying the scope to determine which and when certain sites needed to be dealt with. One Straight Flush on my wingmans egress route was taken out at a distance of 22 miles from 25,000ft.

That you can't do with a Maverick. :biggrin:

True but I like to fly in scattered or clear. TV and Laser guided munitions do have their disadvantages, like with adverse weather as you mentioned. But when mother nature plays ball I like to go with the Mavs.