JonathanRL

CombatAce Photographers

Starys latest thread convinced me that there is probably more people then me and him here who has the particular hobby of photography (in my case, it is my profession). So I tough we could have a little thread of ourselves, show our best pictures, give constructive criticism and discuss equipment.

So my first question to get this thread going, what is your equipment, and what picture means the most to you?

My Camera bag is currently a Canon 600D. My lenses of choice are Tamron 17-50 2.8 and Canon 70-200 4L USM. Aside from the usual tripod, I also keep a Canon 1.4x Extender Mark II and a EX 430 II in the bag to keep the edge on my side.

The picture that means the most to me is probably this one - and the others from the same series. During the spring, there was a lot of storms and bad weather along the coast of Sweden. Mixed with cold weather, this meant quite a few Seal Cubs was found, most in terrible state. Sweden does not have any rehabilitation centers and relies on local Zoo staff to use the resources of their workplaces to nurse the Seals back to health.

I have always loved Seals, and keep a membership card at Skansen in order to be able to visit them often; and when I heard they had rescued a little Seal girl, I asked and was allowed to come by and take pictures. To see, and actually pet a small Seal Cub is still one of the greatest experiences I ever had.

post-14846-0-93893200-1340271226.jpg

• Like 2

I know this picture Jonathan, love it!

Since mid 2008 Nikon D80 with only 18-55 55-200 Nikkor lenses is my weapon of choice, serves me well. Later they build helluva models based on this one.

Also Nikon P5100 as a secondary, suprisingly good camera when used properly (=not in auto mode)

edit: experimented with some of those extension rings aswell as with adopting my M42-standard Zenith lenses I have from pre-digital era to use but abandoned that

Edited by Stary

also a question guys -you rely on pre-sets or full manual? I take most of my pictures in full manual, with auto focus of course as my sight is kind of broken

I rely on Pre-sets, adjusting when necessary. Often, I do not have the time to go full manual - especially with animals - so I have to rely on a camera with good presets.

I'd love to share my pics but all of mine are self pics of my butt in the mirror, i send these to various political leaders ;)

I have seen a little of both of you guys work and I have to say it's great stuff!

Edited by whiteknight06604

I shoot with a Canon 40D. I have a Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 DG EX that I'm not particularly happy with. I also have a Canon 70-200mm 4.0L USM that I love.

The picture that means the most to me would have to be the shot I made at Swiftcurrent last year. I struggled with landscape photography for a long time and finally paid to take a weekend course. It really made the difference and when I went to Glacier National Park later that year the results really stood out.

Also, Glacier National Park, and particularly the Many Glacier area, is my Shangri-La. I'm going back again this year to do all the stuff I missed out on a year ago.

5879990360_f83d9c90a4_b.jpg

Solitude by grinchwslg

Oh, and I shoot full manual, all the time. I use zone method to get my settings dialed in quickly.

Edited by GrinchWSLG
  • Like 2

I have a Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS), with the basic Canon 18-55 EF-S f/3,5-5,6 II lens, a Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 III telelens (very sh1tty IMHO: no stabilization and it produces very soft pictures at focal lenghts higher than 200 mm, or with bigger apertures than f/8) and a Tamron SP AF 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 Di II wide-angle lens (which actually belongs to my sister, but sometimes I borrow it since I lack a proper wide-angle lens). For night shots, a Hama Star 61 tripod (quite unstable IMHO) and a Canon RS-60E3 remote. I also have a Hama circular polarizer (for the 2 Canon lens, the Tamron's diameter is too big), but I haven't used it too often.

I mainly do aviation photography (which is actually forbidden in Italy due to some counter-espionage laws from the Fascist era, but for civilian airports this rule is seldom enforced) in civilian airports, and I try to attend all nearby airshows.

But from time to time, I try to make some different shots:

_MG_9171_130512.jpg

Hi!

I am not as professional, in equipment or experience. However I love a good setup and a good subject/object in front of my lense.

My only camera is an Nikon P510, and that may be blasphemous to all experts. Yet it is about the max in what I can afford

(I got it in a nice sale) and I like that it can be used with manual setups. Which I use.

I bow to you gentlemen, with the equipment that makes me jealous and the photos that make me awe. I humbly present

a small photo I made with my P510.

The reason for this photo is the absolutely fabulous day it was taken. I was to the zoo with my son and he was drawn to

the lions and tigers. It was just a nice day, nice companionship and gorgeous animals!

Cheers!

Edited by Muesli

Great pic Muesli :good: , a friend of mine is thinking of getting that camera too.

My only camera is an Nikon P510, and that may be blasphemous to all experts.

Anybody who says the camera matters is a fool and a bad photographer who blames his tools.

Your picture sense is what allows you to take good pictures. The Camera is a tool. I started out with a small digital camera and this allowed me to identify what I was looking for in a DSLR when I purchased one. So no, its not blasphemous.

@Sundowner:

I recommend it. Although it is not as mature as a reflex, it has the potential of one. You have a whopping 16,1MP backlit sensor

and a heap of automatic features, AND you have the option to use it fully manual. The zoom is complete overkill, yet it has a

very good macro option. I use it together with a Joby Gorillapod SLR. With this I can use it on any surface.

I would have bought a reflex camera with superb lense if I had the money, but in the meantime the P510 will do more than nicely.

grey_seal_cub_pyttan_3_by_brommaherman-d4vjl22.jpg

This thread gets my..... (wait for it) seal of approval......

:good:

• Like 3

you can't go without a pun, could you?:rofl::good:

• Like 1

you all make me feel jealous ... our digital is one of the little 'plam sized', and my real camera is a 1979 Pentax ME Super (yes, real film!!!), with varous and sundry lenses.

i'd LOVE to have a late model digital SLR ... sigh.....

• Like 1

Well, I used to shoot with an old Canon A1 and some Vivitar Series one glass... Film and all that was expensive, but that's what made you a better shot. I didn't shoot for a long time, but then bought a Canon SX110is, and got some decent pics with that. I wanted something better but did not want to spend the $$ on a new digital full size system, so I bought a Panasonic FZ150.

So far, very nice pics, great zoom capabilities, and full 1080P hi-def video in h.264 or mpeg4 formats. I got Sony Vegas, so the h.264 is no problem to edit. This little FZ150 "bridge camera" is also easy to carry around because it is one compact unit, at least compared to a full size system. I got tired of carrying that set up a long time ago...

I'll be checking it's ability to shoot aircraft in a couple of weeks...

Well, I used to shoot with an old Canon A1 and some Vivitar Series one glass... Film and all that was expensive, but that's what made you a better shot. I didn't shoot for a long time, but then bought a Canon SX110is, and got some decent pics with that. I wanted something better but did not want to spend the $ on a new digital full size system, so I bought a Panasonic FZ150.

So far, very nice pics, great zoom capabilities, and full 1080P hi-def video in h.264 or mpeg4 formats. I got Sony Vegas, so the h.264 is no problem to edit. This little FZ150 "bridge camera" is also easy to carry around because it is one compact unit, at least compared to a full size system. I got tired of carrying that set up a long time ago...

I'll be checking it's ability to shoot aircraft in a couple of weeks...

Good choice mate. Mine is a direct competitor to yours, I understand the choice you made. I hope you can shoot many pretty pics with it; show us your favourite!

Thanks, the FZ150 does shoot RAW and my wife got me PhotoImpact 13 which will edit RAW, so I look forward to trying that aspect of digital photography. Also, the high speed video it shoots @ 220 FPS is cool!

A Rose Breasted Grosbeak in our backyard, just a cropped jpg...

RoseBreastedGrosBeak_1.jpg

The airshow to which I refered is Traverse City Cherry Festival Air Show. We will be viewing it from the deck of a 114' sailboat, the SS Manitou. I most look forward to the Black Diamond Jet Team, since Dale Snodgrass is flying lead Mig 17... :yikes: We'll see how close the boat gets us, but I much prefer the boat as a vantage point than roasting at an airfield... Last time the view was decent. The aircraft fly directly over the beach at the south end of Grand Traverse Bay, so being on a boat off shore is nice... :cool:

Edited by Major Lee

It's really difficult to pick a single image that means the most too me. I have so many that I enjoy for different reasons as each highlights a moment in time that I wish to share. For me though, I'll have to choose one of my favorite places on earth. Sunset, in St. Joe, MI. I have so many memories of this place, and hope to be able to enjoy many, many more.

My Camera Bag: Nikon D90, Nikkor AF 18-105mm F3.5, Nikkor AF 55-300mm F4.5, Nikkor AF 35-70mm F2.8, Kalamar 60-300mm F3.9 Macro, SB-600 Flash, MB-D80 Battery Pack, GoPro Hero w/ Accessories, and Apple iPhone 4s

DSC_0548.JPG

• Like 1

It is true that first you need a good photographic eye, that either you develop through practice or have a natural talent. I enjoy what this guy here is doing with just a Fujifilm FinePix HS10 / HS11

7954744762_1f74f90d9c_b.jpg

Check out his Gallery : http://www.flickr.co...ukvicivan/sets/

On the other hand though, when knowing what you are doing and what you want to do, nothing can replace a proper equipment suited to what you want to do. Equipment i believe is like 40% of the equation. For example this guy above i believe deserves absolutely to be shooting with better equipment thus completing the image quality part of his shots. I have experienced the difference of limiting equipment vs having a tool that gives you the option and possibilities to shoot kind of images otherwise impossible no matter how talented you are.

Btw if Finepix can do what Ivan is doing with it the FZ150 & P510 should smoke it hands down .... Any news from the airshow ? :)

Those cameras are fine i believe when priority is budget, even if one is a dedicated shooter, can do alot with them. Things have changed so much since the film days that with just a camera like that (or even lesser) you can do today all the things you were struggling to back in the days of film or could not afford financially to, with a fraction of the money and comparable image quality to film processing, even the percentage of keepers is multiplied by ...multitudes, to mention the telephoto and fps capabilities and video shooting and and and there's no ending.

Edited by squid

Im in no way pro, i just like to have a camera with me most times . . . you never know what may present itself!

My bag - Sony A-230 with small 18-55mm kit lens, a Tamron 70-300mm and a Sigma 70-300mm, and a 500mm f4 tele lens. (+ a few filters etc)

I am using full manual more now, but its a learning curve, at least i dont have to pay for reams of film to experiment with! Thank god for SD cards!!

Some of the shots i am proud of are to follow. They aren't as good as a lot i have seen, but i like them and am happy that i took them.

DSC00286.jpg

DSC04091.jpg

DSC03210.jpg

DSC05965.jpg

DSC06013.jpg

DSC06168.jpg

DSC07030.jpg

DSC00251.jpg

DSC07297.jpg

Thank you for viewing.

Gary

• Like 1

Got a used Olympus Pen a few months ago, plus my old 35mm lenses with an adapter. Having some fun with it, but i really need to dust off my Photoshop skills.

post-10437-0-49193900-1365510103_thumb.jpg

post-10437-0-01748300-1365510111_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've got a Canon 7D with a bunch of Tele lenses covering 17mm to 400mm (Tamron/Canon) with a few Canon Primes thrown in. I shoot rally cars for the RAF Phoenix Rally Team (used to be the called Moray Phoenix rather than RAF) when I'm not being their "Head Electronics Dude" rigging up in-car cameras, Telemetry and GPS tracking etc.

I've not go any shots from this season and lest year was all with a Sony superzoom P&S but here's what I've done recently -

Berlin02small.jpg

cotswold05small.jpg

blackmercsmall.jpg

mclarensmall.jpg

fruitbowlsmall.jpg

cotswold03small.jpg

cotswold11small.jpg

Edited by ianh755

Superb !! Something about that second one m8....just love it.

I would like to share some Pictures with you too.

I´m not a real good Photographer and i took those pics with a 3 year old digicam.

But I really like those shots.

The 1st two Pictures i have taken during our last visit in Hamburg in end of March / beginning of April.

They show the harbour. And the 3rd one is our hairy friend & housemate "Whiskey".

post-911-0-06839600-1366188782_thumb.jpg

post-911-0-52387500-1366188794_thumb.jpg

post-911-0-26247800-1366188803_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like Grumpy Cat has some serious competition!

• Like 1