Sign in to follow this  
column5

WOI Patch August 2008 Released!

Ok.. from now on Farmers scare me ****less even in the 80's.

img00217.jpg

Why, oh, why the bloody bubble canopy Falcon has no mirrors? Couldn't the Israelis get some from a motorbike? :biggrin:

The game does run a bit smoother, I think...

BTW, is it just me or IR missiles no longer blow you up on the spot almost every time, but rather shred your behind leaving you in control of the wreck?

Oh, and something happened to captions telling which type of target is padlocked. They're gone. Now I can go back to visual recognition. :yes:

I seem to get better fps with this patch...that alone would be enough for me...

I thought it was just me!

Definitely getting more FPS with the patch.

Do prop-driven aircraft (like the WWII birds) still have a problem with their FM?

Hard to say. I took Spit1A for a ride, ended in a flat spin. Engine toggle works for props too.

But I need to do a clean WW2 install to see how everythink works relating to how AI planes and so on...

Regarding fps on Unlimited settings slight increase from around 16-18 to 20-25 over big airbases with lots of objects in view.

from no pilot pics to 34!

And some nice lady pilots, too. Someone needs to make a female pilot model--nothing overblown, just a little shorter and with a slightly enhanced bust.

There's a female pilot for the Talon I did a while back....

Ok, quick report on the WW2 Birds I've got in my TMFWP install...

on autopilot takeoff, ALL show a marked pitchdown when flaps are retracted, which I think is probably normal

P-51D - seems almost unchanged. Handles like in SF/WoE. Shadow messed up

Mc-205 - no longer explodes at mission start!!! YIPPEE!! (at least on medium/large runways). No marked handling differences

Spits 5, 9, 22 - "twitchy" in hard turns (which may be normal?) bleeds speed fairly rapidly in hard climbs on 5/9. 22 has enough power to maintian, but also bleeds fairly rapidly.

Beau TFX - no marked differences; it was always a little sluggish in turns (I think real ones were, too)

Mossie FB6 - PHENOMAL (sp?) roll rates!! Handles beautifully. Shadow works good (more later). Needed decals ini fix

Vampire 5/50 - handles pretty good. Shadow messed up

Bf-109G10 (S-199 stand in) - departs flight if manhandled. Smooth inputs, and not pushing envelope handles fair. May be normal for this aircraft??? Need a WW2 FM expert to weigh in on this one...

Some others not tested yet are:

Sabre

MD-450 Orugan (sp?)

SMB2 (ErikGen's)

Mystre 4 (by??)

Harvard

C-47/Dakota EAF

B-17

Cool Things:

Damage to engnie shuts it down!!! FINALLY!!!! Some props will windmill, others grind to a stop -- nice touch!!

Other issues:

Cockpit (dash panel) on S-199 totally unreadable on med/high cockpit details. May need panel redone or something. TGAs for Mustang (needles and such) showing pinkish border (but they have for a while, so it's no biggie)

Shadows on Mustang and Vampire wacked - easily fixed by going into main ini, and changing "CastShadow=" to FALSE. No biggie!

Like CA_Stary said, it may be worth it create an Experimental Flight Testing Install for WW2 aircraft...which I will probably do next week, for S**ts and Grins :wink: As if I haven't enough to do.... :rolleyes:

Wrench

kevin stein

edit:

ps: anyone notice that pilot pic #33 is Richard Bong???

P-51D - seems almost unchanged. Handles like in SF/WoE. Shadow messed up

Just delete the lines:

ShadowLOD=

ShadowType=

so it looks like:

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE

ShadowCastDist=10000

MaxVisibleDistance=800

worked ok in April patch, recommended for Ouragans too (have messed up wings shadows in their SHD file)

the Mirage Factory have release a new Weapon Pack .. install it after patch.. not before

;)

And some nice lady pilots, too. Someone needs to make a female pilot model--nothing overblown, just a little shorter and with a slightly enhanced bust.

Do the lady pilots have a lady voice in game now=?

Sabre

Cockpit (dash panel) on S-199 totally unreadable on med/high cockpit details. May need panel redone or something.

Medium cockpit texture setting is 256x

High is 512x

Use Unlimited Texture setting or edits the max texture size value sin the Flightengine ini.

The Wolf256 cockpit has large textures ...

Edit:

And the UK bombs on the Arab Hunters.. .. they have "UK" in the AttachmentType line. Thats all... game engine takes care of the rest :ninja:

Edited by Crusader

Anyone noticed or is it just me, that now detached aircraft's parts behave slightly better flying in air: better physics?

I think there's a LOT of hidden imporvements in this patch.

All the Migs/Sus, etc now have the "UseMetricUnit=TRUE" in their data inis, ALL the data ini got 2 new AI sections (StrafeAI, RocketAttackAI). The Hunters NOW carry their UK bombs --ok, I gotta know how they Friendly weapons to load on ENEMY aircraft!!! :haha: --

Interestering to note, it didn't remove the cockpits from the 17,19,21s or Hunters. It just replace the main ini (as all patches do), so it was a simple matter to just re add the lines

down side: still no cockpit bits for the Hunter and SMBD/Sa'ar (again, not a real problem for Woe/SF/WoV owners)

UP side: control/I !!! Engine shut down!!!

Still exploring the various inis and such. Have to patch my Historic Mods install, and see how the prop planes act.

So far, a good improvement.

Wrench

kevin stein

after every had looked in depth the improvement, we should write a new readme :biggrin:

Does this patch need to be installed over the latest version?

My installer can't seem to find the WOI application...

Hmm... point the installer to your WOI main folder... that should do it.

The patch is for the WOI download version from Thirdwire only.

There's only one thing that I don't like about this patch. I don't get the text prompt of what I've targeted when I do visual target on my radar selected target. That was my IFF. Wonder if there's a way to put that back in.

I'm a little disappointed in the chaff/flares no longer launching multiple shots, other than that, I'm looking forward to discovering the changes...

Hmm... point the installer to your WOI main folder... that should do it.

The patch is for the WOI download version from Thirdwire only.

Yeah, s'not working. Grrr...

The BVR is working very well, an entire flight of Super Hornet fire all their AIM-120C at maximum range !!!

But none touch my sukhoi :smile:

Another improvement, the sight of the target is no longer lost when you release the last LGB.

Keeping diging :victory:

The BVR is working very well, an entire flight of Super Hornet fire all their AIM-120C at maximum range !!!

But none touch my sukhoi :smile:

Another improvement, the sight of the target is no longer lost when you release the last LGB.

Keeping diging :victory:

i wish the same for the maverick, but it's already a cool improvement

is the zoom level of the mavericks greater or is it just me?

i wish the same for the maverick, but it's already a cool improvement

is the zoom level of the mavericks greater or is it just me?

Since the MFD image comes from the Maverick, how do you expect to keep the image when you fired the last Maverick?

Anther note about prop planes:

I made clean, patched install for Spanish Civil War by A-Team. No problems so far, interesting feature is that heavily damaged planes try to flee away, gliding. Now less chance of enemy pilot bailing out after inflicting damage.

Now a possible big feature -anyone noticed that apart from "aircraftfireeffect", "aircraftenginefireeffect" now works, or is it just me? I hit enemy, he started burning with some "default" effect, after few seconds my aircraftfireeffect started. So I guess the first one was "aircraftenginefireeffect".

I must verify that, but this would be HUGE improvement for multi-engined bombers. Also will check if the "FuelLeakEmitter" now works.

Many, many little things to discover.

There's only one thing that I don't like about this patch. I don't get the text prompt of what I've targeted when I do visual target on my radar selected target. That was my IFF. Wonder if there's a way to put that back in.

That is not good at all, we need to find a way to fix it; as this pretty much nullifies our BVR capabilities.

1 way for now ctrl + R then press F8 to see what you have targeted - just a bit anoying

Red Crown doesn't seem to work. I just finished a fighter sweep in WOI with new shaders since TK fixed the vista/shader prob and I think RC didn't see them cause the Mig 19S's was NOE around 5nm at my flight's low 5 o'clock. My flight slaughtered them leaving me none to kill LOL.

Falcon

PS. Can't wait to see FE in its full glory now WOOT!

Red Crown doesn't seem to work. I just finished a fighter sweep in WOI with new shaders since TK fixed the vista/shader prob and I think RC didn't see them cause the Mig 19S's was NOE around 5nm at my flight's low 5 o'clock. My flight slaughtered them leaving me none to kill LOL.

Falcon

PS. Can't wait to see FE in its full glory now WOOT!

Well, if the MiGs were NOE, then I don't think RC would be able to see them anyways, especially if TK revamped how things work.