Sign in to follow this  
i90807065

And here we go...

SO, im watchin BBC America and they say that some sort of "big bang machine" is going to be activated tomorrow. Am I wrong for being fearful of this event, I mean isnt the "big bang" what CREATED the universe? I somehow dont think its a good idea to re-create it "so close to home" so to speak. But, perhaps im wrong. Anyone else heard news of this event? :dntknw:

Yes a big collider or atom smasher I belive that there is nothing to worry about. :biggrin:

There isn't anything to worry about guys. Atoms from space collide with Earth everyday at greater speeds (some close to or at lightspeed) and nothing happens. All this fuss being made up about the "end of the world" is by people who either really don't know $#*!, or just want to be heard 'cause they're lonely and don't have a life. Relax, the experiement is safe.... unless the darn thing blows up. Then the people at the site got something to worry about. But it won't be the end of the world.

There isn't anything to worry about guys. Atoms from space collide with Earth everyday at greater speeds (some close to or at lightspeed) and nothing happens. All this fuss being made up about the "end of the world" is by people who either really don't know $#*!, or just want to be heard 'cause they're lonely and don't have a life. Relax, the experiement is safe.... unless the darn thing blows up. Then the people at the site got something to worry about. But it won't be the end of the world.

At most, it's just a division by zero error. And doomsday cults.

they do that to sell t-shirts with impact lines.

Edited by Silverbolt

dude...if it blows us all up well then there is nothing to worry about, eh? You cant stop it so there is no need to fret...happens/happens.

But I would keep a careful study of your front left window though...that is where the ninjas prefer to approach...good luck

If the world blows up tomorrow, I'm ready. Besides, it'll be a totally awesome show intill we're all atomized, and I'll bet that some future race will get a hige kick out of discovering our race's fate, maybe a historian will get a prize out of it even!

The amount of scientific ignorance out there sometimes amazes even me. That people would believe smashing two PARTICLES together could cause something CATASTROPHIC is laughable. I wish I were in the presence of some of these doomsayers just so I could point at them and laugh for a good 30 minutes without stopping. :haha: That's what they deserve. I mean, we have multi-megaton nukes on the planet, and they've been around for 50 years, and they're FAR more dangerous than anything these colliders can do.

My favorite is the "they don't KNOW" refrain. Well duh, that's why they're doing the experiments. But if they don't know, how come you do?

I somehow dont think its a good idea to re-create it "so close to home" so to speak.

Don't worry dude. Statistically speaking, you have more of a chance to choke to death on a lettuce leaf and that's more likely than being involved in a plane accident (1 in 26000 with chance favouring your survival.).

The amount of scientific ignorance out there sometimes amazes even me.

You said it. I heard Stephen Hawking on the radio this morning, and he apparently doesn't want them to find the Higgs Boson, as this indicate that there is a problem with the standard model and this will stimulate more debate and research.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsi...000/7598686.stm

The amount of scientific ignorance out there sometimes amazes even me. That people would believe smashing two PARTICLES together could cause something CATASTROPHIC is laughable. I wish I were in the presence of some of these doomsayers just so I could point at them and laugh for a good 30 minutes without stopping. :haha: That's what they deserve. I mean, we have multi-megaton nukes on the planet, and they've been around for 50 years, and they're FAR more dangerous than anything these colliders can do.

My favorite is the "they don't KNOW" refrain. Well duh, that's why they're doing the experiments. But if they don't know, how come you do?

right up there with the man-made global warming scam, even while the temperatures plumet........

right up there with the man-made global warming scam, even while the temperatures plumet........

Come to my country and say that! :biggrin: We're into our seventh year of drought, my city's main source of water is on it's deathbed (stoopid Queenslanders and Ruddling! :biggrin: ) and summers over the past four years have been more intense than at any point in the past 20yrs. That said, our issues here are only a little to do with climate change and more to do with farmers and local governments p*ssing already scarce water supplies. [Rant off]

Well Im still existing at this moment so thats a good sign.

It's the end of the world as we know it.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

You're just beggin' for them big discs to come down and ruin your July 4th bbq! :yes:

Come to my country and say that! :biggrin: We're into our seventh year of drought, my city's main source of water is on it's deathbed (stoopid Queenslanders and Ruddling! :biggrin: ) and summers over the past four years have been more intense than at any point in the past 20yrs. That said, our issues here are only a little to do with climate change and more to do with farmers and local governments p*ssing already scarce water supplies. [Rant off]

We just had the wettest Aug summer on record :blink:

In deference to The Archbishop of Canterbury and The Royal Commission for Political Correctness, it was announced today that the local climate in the UK should no longer be referred to as 'English Weather.' *

Rather than offend a sizeable portion of the population, it will now be referred to as 'Muslim Weather.'

In other words ........ partly Sunni, but mostly Shi'ite.

:tumbleweed:

Yep, dial the political stuff back folks...keep it to Big Bang doomsday scenarios please :).

FastCargo

there is nothing to worry about about this experiment guys, however its the other experiments at CERN that we should be worriyng about.

If anyone has read Dan Browns Angels and Demons they will know what im talking about. ANTI-MATTER!!!!

there is nothing to worry about about this experiment guys, however its the other experiments at CERN that we should be worriyng about.

If anyone has read Dan Browns Angels and Demons they will know what im talking about. ANTI-MATTER!!!!

But without anit-matter, we can't build the N.C.C. 1701 U.S.S. Enterprise to fight off those big flying disks that Dave is taunting for. :biggrin:

I just heard the LHC being switched on on the radio, and I can confirm that the world didn't end. Yet.

The whole matter/anti-matter disparity is indeed a huge puzzle for science. Why isn't our universe anti-matter instead of matter? If both were created at the Big Bang in roughly equal amounts, does that mean the entire universe is made up of the tiny percentage extra of matter that there wasn't enough anti-matter left to annihilate?

Of course, like the number of licks it takes to get to the center of the Tootsie Pop, the world may never know.