Do any Navy F-4's have a built in gun?

None, and they never carried any gun pods operationally.

Do any Navy F-4's have a built in gun?

No, and Randy Cunningham even went as far as eschewing anything more than a solitary centerline drop tank, preferring maneuverability over added weight.

None, and they never carried any gun pods operationally.

VF-114 and -213 used the MK 4 for a short time during the 1966-67 cruise... but it didnt work so they switched back to the 600gal tank on the CL

So how successful were the Navy Phantoms? It goes without saying that the sidewinders and sparrows were not that effective yet.

I've just noticed this subject about ten minutes ago. Yeah, I thought the earlier mentioned N model add-on was a good piece of work. The only problem with it was the absence of an all important tail hook. I'd love to have an up to date add-on F-4N that I could use with the various SFG/SF2/WOE 1970s campaigns in place of the F-4B or F-4J

Actually, while we're on the subject; does anybody know if the Mirage Factory are working on an USAF A-7D model to augment the other highly popular Corsair models?

The MF is making A-7D. I believe it is all most done. Its just awaiting the release of NF3.

Actually, while we're on the subject; does anybody know if the Mirage Factory are working on an USAF A-7D model to augment the other highly popular Corsair models?

Sort of...

a7dl1.jpg

a7dl2.jpg

That model is HOT! :ok: Top marks again to C5. Roll on NF3. Do you know the ETA of NF3?

That model is HOT! :ok: Top marks again to C5. Roll on NF3. Do you know the ETA of NF3?

As soon as I stop being lazy...hopefully soon! :biggrin:

Speaking of new Phantom models wouldn't it be cool if someone made one of the upgraded foreign phantoms with AMRAAM capability?

????

F-4F ICE has been out for like 4 or 5 years....it should be over at C5's site.

The HAF F-4E and F-4E AUP are right here (although I disremember if I added the AHM tag to the Sparrow stations; methinks the HAF Rhino's aren't wired for AARAMs)

EDIT: a quick check of the data and loadout inis say I did.

Wrench

kevin stein

Dave, thanks for the update on the project...

Killer A-7D!!! Mr. Column5 :blink::clapping:

Love the Phantom... It would be great if a mod of an "Advance Super Phantom" can be made.

Example"

1. One piece frameless forward screen.

2. One piece canopy base on the F/A-18D Hornet.

3. PW1120 engines with improvements, having 21,000 ibs of thrust instead of 20,600 ibs per engines.

4. New RWR on the tip of the tail just like the RAF FGR.2 upgrades.

5. New wing with full span slats and modify fences near the wing folding mount.

6. A small wing straick on the forward intakes with added RWR.

7. Internal Advance Self Protection Jammers/Flares/Chaffes.

8. New ejection seats MB-10 or better

9. New cockpit base on the Hornet.

10. APG-73 SAR radar or even a modify APG-79 AESA radar.

etc. etc. etc.... :biggrin:

Love the Phantom... It would be great if a mod of an "Advance Super Phantom" can be made.

Example"

3. PW1120 engines with improvements, having 21,000 ibs of thrust instead of 20,600 ibs per engines.

And with a CCIP

With upgrades like that why have an F-15? I know there were many upgraded variants in the works that got shot down in the 80's and 90's because it would hurt defense contractor sales. But it's still interesting to think that they would be like if they had gone ahead with it. F-4's with AIM-9x capability and glass pits. That would rock.

Example"

Yes it is an idea whos time has come, would love to se e a new model with the features you describe. There is alot however that can be done with the existing models, for instsnce lexx_luther has a method of importing instrument pannels or pehaps parts like mfd's into other cockpits; id like to talk to him about this. Many of the other aspects of the upgrade are simple ini edits like the PW-1120's and a new Hud/ avionic upgrades that I am using now in a Super F-4S.

What you want sounds like an F-15E or a Super Hornet....

EDIT: That F-4N looks great! As does the A-7D!

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

With upgrades like that why have an F-15? I know there were many upgraded variants in the works that got shot down in the 80's and 90's because it would hurt defense contractor sales. But it's still interesting to think that they would be like if they had gone ahead with it. F-4's with AIM-9x capability and glass pits. That would rock.

Because as much well-loved the Phantom II is, there is something called "moving on". By the time Vietnam War was over everyone realized that the Phantom does not exactly fit the requirements set by everyone, and everyone wanted a fighter that can do the Phantom II's roles, but better. Navy shot down the swing-wing F-4 because they wanted the Tomcat (which end up not having a pound for air-to-ground till the 90s), and the Air Force realized that they needed a better air-superiority fighter than the Phantom II and went for the F-15 (which proved itself to be very good, and basically created a strike fighter variant out of it through the F-15E...and one have to realize that both programs to search for the new fighters are already in place in the 1960s). Plus not to mention what was happening on the other side of the Iron Curtain, and the F-15 proved that it can do more than having better air-to-air capabilities than the Phantom II.

Also, what's wrong with the F-15? Plus with the myriad of F-4 users out there, anything happens. The only problem is whether it is worth it to carry out the upgrades, and would the Rhinos support them? (most of the F-4Es/F-4Fs out there are more than 20 years old.) Some of them got to the level of the intended air-to-air missile truck, especially with the AMRAAM-capable Rhinos (Luftwaffe F-4Fs are also tested with the IRIS-T, which is basically a counterpart of the AIM-9X, and pray hard that we might see them on the Greek F-4Es).

Basically, everything is done in the name of progress.

Edited by kct

I'm not bashing the new ones, I love the F-15 and the F-14. I'm just saying I think its cool to think about what could have happened to the F-4. it just goes to show how upgradable it is. That The Greeks and Germans have F-4s with modern features.

Column5,Wicked Pa. ANG skin on the A-7D!

Kct,Did you know that the F-15SG is set to get the new AESA radar just like the 18 USAF F-15C already has?

F-4 has always been a favorite to fly in TK sims.Especially,the F-4G,EF-4C,RF-4C,RF-4E and F-4QS.But,I keep an open mind for new favorites to come.Of course I'll be happy with any new F-4's to be added! :ok:

Brady

Kct,Did you know that the F-15SG is set to get the new AESA radar just like the 18 USAF F-15C already has?

F-4 has always been a favorite to fly in TK sims.Especially,the F-4G,EF-4C,RF-4C,RF-4E and F-4QS.But,I keep an open mind for new favorites to come.Of course I'll be happy with any new F-4's to be added! :ok:

Brady

Yeah, they are the second sub-variant of new-built F-15Es to get AESA, after the F-15Ks.

Back to the F-4, there was a thread by Sundowner about a British Phantom with the nose from an RF-4C: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...n+with+phantoms

Plus this insanity that I came up with:

img00041dx8.jpg

CFT positions might need fixing, so yeah.

Edited by kct

Kct,Whoa that is superb!Two weeks?That shaking and baking,LOL!

Brady