Because it was based on the A-9.

north-a9a.jpg

Not true - In fact neither Greg Goebel nor Tony Buttler confirm that assumption, so it'd be interesting to see if anyone can come up with better claims as to why the SU-25 is a copy of the A-9 other than the somewhat similar layout (which totally ignores how the original T-8 design and mockup showed a much smaller machine).

Not true - In fact neither Greg Goebel nor Tony Buttler confirm that assumption, so it'd be interesting to see if anyone can come up with better claims as to why the SU-25 is a copy of the A-9 other than the somewhat similar layout (which totally ignores how the original T-8 design and mockup showed a much smaller machine).

You have your sources, I have mine.

RAFGloryF103.jpg

The Gloster Glory prototype soars above the Gloucestershire countryside.

This is Pasko & Column5's lovely little La-15 'Fantail' masquerading as the Gloster Glory - Britains first swept-wing jet fighter. BTW The 'Fantail' flies really nice!

re. the Su-25 / ya-9 and Orbiter/Burran... the same engineering problem is likely to result in a similar soloution, the laws of physics in the USA and USSR were exactly the same so its hardly surprising that there are similarities.

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

Whilst that is true, you would still expect some disparity in design.

The Shuttle\Buran is a blatant straight steal. As are the others mentioned.

I'd expect that the individual designers would give whatever they created their own look. A Mig is unmistakeably a Mig whatever the variant, yet no US design looks like one.

The US and Soviet space programmes of the 1960's are a typical example. Both powers evolved their own designs although the physics was exactly the same for both.

Anyhooooooo...back to the screenshots.

img00014nr0.jpg

A Panavia Tornado GR.1 from the 9 Squadron of the Royal Malaysian Air Force taking off into the night, to perform night patrol at the Straits of Malacca.

This is basically a rework of Syrinx's amazing grey Tornado skins, since the GR.1s is a case of "close to happening but we changed our minds in the 11th hour" to buy something else (Hawks). It's still not complete, notice the missing finflash and serials (they would be laid out in a manner VERY similar to our Hawks). However, we would probably still get the Hawks as transitional aircraft.

Edited by kct

post-28461-1227337027_thumb.jpg

"Okay two, find that radar site."

"I can't see s**t. If you hear a boom, it's either me or the radar."

You would think so given the similarities at first glance, but you do realise the Tu-160 stems from the Myasischev M-18 design from 1969, right?

Seriously, look at all the different configurations that were studied for the B-1 and compare that to how all the various SST designs ended up looking virtually the same (Concorde, Tu-144, L2000, Boeing SST) and it should not be surprising that the same set of stringent requirements would result in very similar design solutions:

b-1_collection.gif

avsst_02.png

avsst_03.png

avsst_04.png

avsst_08.png

That I won't argue with you about, given how detail-for-detail it is.

Actually, I am thinking of something. We're not going to go there in terms of the topic about who copied who (well, you know, "there"). I might be wrong, but at the rate it is going...

And there is something called "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" or something. Well, "imitation" is not exactly the correct word, but I hope you get my point.

Edited by kct

I just love Veltro2K's Vautour:

USAFGloryF103.jpg

"So the pupil becomes the master"

More early 1950's USAF Aggressor shenanigans as an instructor-flown Gloster Glory falls into the sights of a F-84 Thunderjet.

Also, we're straying from the topic people. Sure some have posted image, but take it somewhere else as well.

I really couldn't pass this image up, ran a CAS mission in DBS, and well... the eeeevil Fire Can radars oh my!

post-5735-1227378947_thumb.jpg

Yes still at it-Operation Jericho in full swing-problem is I cant make through two missions without getting shot down!

Also, we're straying from the topic people. Sure some have posted image, but take it somewhere else as well.

I really couldn't pass this image up, ran a CAS mission in DBS, and well... the eeeevil Fire Can radars oh my!

The same thing happened to me last night with a modern timeframe, as I bumped up the dates.

Need to find something different for armor, I reckon. Ranks of immobile firecans versus MRLS was not worth flying 300 miles for...

RNZAFF-104G01.jpg

An F-104G Starfighter of No.14 squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force gets airborne.

Anyone know the mesh name for the rear fuselage? I've tried the usual suspects :dntknw: