Sign in to follow this  
Sakai

My Grandfather has passed.....

On December 20th, 2008, my grandfather, Willard G Simmons, passed away at Maine Medical Center. Born on September 14, 1923, he worked at shipyards until drafted in late 1942 for the United States Navy. He served aboard the Fletcher class destroyer DD-652, the U.S.S. Ingersoll. Participated in almost every major battle of the pacific war, Leyte Gulf as part of the group who chased the decoy fleet and left the invasion beaches open to attack, leading to the most heroic act on the part of the U.S.S. Johnston and it's destroyer flotilla in attacking head on the most powerful units of the Japanese fleet, including the Yamamoto. Was in the great typhoon of 1944 in the south china sea which capsized and sank three ships on the same class as his and destroyed many aircraft on the decks of carriers. Was at the Battle of Okinawa, in which his ship was engaged in fleet defense and radar picket duties. During which the ship was attacked by Kamikazi's and blew one G4M Betty out of the sky and was knicked by an out of control Ki-61 Tony which crashed into the radio mast, and then the ocean. Was in Tokyo bay for the signing of the surrender.

After the war, he came home to start his life. Raised two children with his first wife. Re-married and then adopted my mother, and raised her. All the while maintaining a job at Bath Iron Works, the very place where the ship he survived so much on was built. Then I came into the picture in September of 1983. Due to circumstances out of his control, he and my grandmother ended up raising me too. My father passed away before my birth, and I was fortunate enough to have a man of his calibre there to guide me. All that I am, good and bad, and all that I will be I attribute to him, and I couldn't be more thankful. I know that he is will god now, and has at long last taken his place among the angels who watch over us, may he rest in peace.

Sakai

Salute to your grandfather, may he rest in peace.

Sakai

Salute to your grandfather, may he rest in peace.

Thank you Dave, much appreciated!

My condolensces. Just sad it close to holidays.

Thank you as well dsawan, the timing does suck, thank you again.

Sakai:

Sorry for your loss, and best wishes for you and your family. It sounds like your grandfather lived a very full life.

He may Rest I Peace. my condolensces.

Edited by ronan

Thank all of you, I really appreciate all of your well wishes. This community seems the exception in a world full of annonymous flamers who love to talk knowing they wont get a beatin :biggrin: I thank you again!

Sakai,

Sounds like he was a fine gentlemen. I am sure he is resting now. My condolences to you.

a grandfather to be proud of!

may he rest in peace

<S>

My condolences. Sakay save the experiences that your grandfather surely has transmitted to you ... save them for next generations.

Edited by erikgen

Again, I can't thank you all enough. I am sure he would be suprised by people from all over the world sending him their best wishes, pretty much all of Europe and Israel. It seems fitting, seeming as how it is the world he helped to save so many years ago. As for passing on his stories to the next generation, it is a task that I will undertake solemly but also with an extreme sense of pride. Every generation of my family going back to the American Civil War has served this country, up to and including myself. My cousin is in the ANG as a boom operator, he and I are the last in a proud line. As much of the WWII generation passes on, it is up to their familys to carry on their stories so that no one ever forgets the sacrifice that has been laid upon the alter of freedom, so that we may continue to live as we do, free.

Very Sorry to hear of your loss, bad time of year and its always a bad time to lose a loved one. <S> to him and best wishes to you and your family!

Sakai:

I'm sorry for your loss.

Our "Greatest Generation" is rapidly leaving us.

But,I'm sure he is having a wonderful reunion with all his old shipmates.

Attention On Deck! Hand Salute! Ready! Two!

Have a heavy heart for you and your family,Sakai.We too know what it means to lose such an important part of our families during the holidays.Lost our Grandmother McKinnie back in 2006 on Christmas Day.She lived in the Pocono's in Pa.Yes it was a sorrowful time but,grandmother always thought positive and passed that down to her grand kids.Now,we look back and smile in good memories of the time shared in joyful reunion when we would meet.Take good care of yourself and we all are here for you.

Brady

Sakai:

I'm sorry for your loss.

Our "Greatest Generation" is rapidly leaving us.

But,I'm sure he is having a wonderful reunion with all his old shipmates.

Attention On Deck! Hand Salute! Ready! Two!

DISMISSED!!*Takes a step back with left foot* AYE AYE SIR *executes about face* OORAH

I can't tell you enough how much this hits home. I have had this conversation many times. That generation saw and did things that we can only imagine and read about. When I hear young people today talk about how rough their lives are, I just have to laugh. The Greatest Generation is indeed disappearing right in front of our eyes - they saw the real great depression and war on two fronts. The experiences that they had and the sacrifices that they made were remarkable indeed. My dad is still alive, born in 1923. He lived thru the depression in a family with 6 brothers/sisters, son of a Polish imigrant. He was at Omaha beach on D-Day, and went almost into Berlin with the First Army before coming home. Met my Mom and married her in Belgium. She came over by boat - alone and with a baby. I am so glad that we made them both relate what it was like in those days. God bless them all.

Mike

Amen, thats why anytime I see someone thats a veteran from WW2, Korea or Vietnam, I thank them for their service. Then I get the Iraq questions n they thank me, lol, but I havent see even 1 percent of what they have gone through in combat. In the military now, we are lucky, even going to Iraq n Afghanistan, since we only do 7 months, n everyone else does 15. We get to go home after a while, the WW2 vets didnt get to as they faught for YEARS. We in the military that deploy have taken that for granted, as we fight for freedom in a different way.

Edited by Jarhead1