Fubar512

Recommended Reading, Military and General Aviation

I may push to have this made into a sticky. Basically, the intent of this thread, is to encourage our members to share their recomendations for aviation-related reading material.

I'll start out with a small list, all of which I heartily recommend:

Non-fiction:

Vietnam Above The Treetops, by John F Flanagan: Review at Amazon.com

When Thunder Rolled, by Ed Rasimus: Review at Amazon.com

Palace Cobra: A Fighter Pilot in the Vietnam Air War, by Ed Rasimus: Review at Amazon.com

Scream of Eagles: The Dramatic Account of the U.S. Navy's Top Gun Fighter Pilots and How They Took Back the Skies Over Vietnam: by Robert K. Wilcox: Review at Amazon.com

Fulcrum: A Top Gun Pilot's Escape From the Soviet Empire, by Alexander Zuyev: Review at Amazon.com

Fiction:

ROLLING THUNDER\STEEL TIGER\PHANTOM LEADER\EAGLE STATION, All by Mark Berent: Review at Amazon.com

On the fiction side, I love the old Clancy novels.

Red Storm Rising has some great air combat sequences, along with naval and ground.

Termite Hill by Tom Wilson

I move that we split this between GA and mil aviation...and then possibly down to non/fiction

Robert Prest: "F4 Phantom" Pilot life in the RAF Phantom scene :good:

Hou doe,

Derk

Does anyone here subscribe to International Air power Review? When the hell are they going to get a new website? Are they still even publishing?

I pick one up every now and then. I'm pretty sure they still publish once a quarter. As far as a website, check for Ian Allen.

I have a subscription, but apparently it's a very small company and the guy running it ran into some hard times (divorce among other things) that have seriously delayed his schedule. I forget when I got my last one, but it's been awhile. I'm still waiting to see what happens with it.

Phantom Reflections, Mike Mc Carthy (Combat Flying Vietnam - memoirs)

Cheating Death, George J Marrett (Combat Air Rescues Vietnam and Laos - memoirs)

Vietnam Air War Debrief, Robert F Dorr / Chris Bishop (colorful compilation of history and aircraft used in Vietnam)

the other side:

MiGs over North Vietnam, Roger Boniface (North Vietnam's People's Air Force in Combat)

all non-fiction - all GREAT!

+1 for Termite Hill. Who remembers Lou Drendel's 'THUD!' I had that and several others by him, sadly they weren't made child-proof :(

I too have Vietnam Air War Debrief. Also worth a look by Dorr is 'Air War Hanoi'

Anyone knows "Goshawk Squadron", by Derek Robinson?

While not strictly aviation-oriented, I recommend "The Raft", by Robert Trumbull. It's based on a true story : http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/getdoc/b359a789-6374-4ab1-8571-20394b70cfc0/Von-Tempsky-Wall--Page-1-(1).aspx

Imagine finding yourself on a 8 x 4 foot raft, in the middle of the South Pacific, with no food nor water, and surviving for 34 days with little more than a knife, a .45 pistol, a pair of pliers, and the clothes on your back!

Can anyone please recommend a good or better yet, the best F-105 Thunderchief boof in town? Something that teach you the design, variants and missions flown by the mighty beast. Thanks!

Does anyone know if there are any free stories/ebooks about pilots from the Cold war??

Thanx

You may want to check around the USAF history site. I've seen a bunch of free stuff from there.

516d4fQ8cDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Just finished reading 'Contrails Over The Mojave' by George Marrett. It covers his experiences as a test pilot @ Edwards AFB during the golden age of flight testing there.

http://www.amazon.com/Contrails-Over-Mojave-Testing-Edwards/dp/1591145112

xclusiv8::

Does anyone know if there are any free stories/ebooks about pilots from the Cold war??

Thanx

Google is your Friend.

A good xampel is F-86 page here, thousands of pilot stories...

~> http://sabre-pilots.org/classics.htm

Very different is CRISIS IN TAIWAN, F-86Dora flying between Formosa and China, picking up MiGs on radar.

~> http://sabre-pilots.org/classics/v152taiwan.htm

Also, OVERFLIGHT, recon over USSR ~> http://sabre-pilots.org/classics/v112over.htm

Just found this one, so I gotta go :bye: :bye: F-93 ~> http://sabre-pilots.org/classics/v101yf93.htm

Thanx

See my post of August 17th: Robert Prest "F4 Phantom" ....good.gif

It's not free but rather old so it shouldn't be too expensive

Hou doe,

Derk

Edited by Derk

One of my favorite books is "On Yankee Station" by John B. Nichols and Barrett Tillman. Too bad that it seems to be out of print now, but it's good overview on the air operations conducted during the Vietnam War (from the US Navy perspective, of course). You may also notice that Nichols was flying the Crusader (and bagged a MiG with it) pretty much until the end of the war, but I can live with that. :wink:

Guess I got lucky when I got it over a year ago, as it now seems to be out of print....like a few other of Tillman's books. :dntknw:

One of my favorite books is "On Yankee Station" by John B. Nichols and Barrett Tillman. Too bad that it seems to be out of print now, but it's good overview on the air operations conducted during the Vietnam War (from the US Navy perspective, of course). You may also notice that Nichols was flying the Crusader (and bagged a MiG with it) pretty much until the end of the war, but I can live with that. wink.gif

Guess I got lucky when I got it over a year ago, as it now seems to be out of print....like a few other of Tillman's books. dntknw.gif

Theres a book out there that I read when i was in Iraq. I dont remember the name of it any more(lol), but it was about a retired pilot who goes to Saudi Arabia to teach an elite group of pilots who will be flying a squadron of F-20's -- Does anyone know what book im talking about?

Theres a book out there that I read when i was in Iraq. I dont remember the name of it any more(lol), but it was about a retired pilot who goes to Saudi Arabia to teach an elite group of pilots who will be flying a squadron of F-20's -- Does anyone know what book im talking about?

Hello,

"Warriors" http://www.btillman.com/warriors.htm

:good:

Hi all!

I have read "a few" books in my day, and there are about half a dozen that I can think of that I really remember well.

Non-fiction:

"Scream of Eagles", which was posted already , but man is that book crazy! I probably have three or four posts on here somewhere hollerin' about that book!!

"Low Level Hell" by Hugh Mills, auto-bi, he was a LOACH pilot in Vietnam at 19, flew a jillion missions and lost 4 helo's total. His 5th is on display at FT Rucker. He flew with the 1st of the 9th, 1st Air Cav. Pretty serious and intense book.

"Rupert Red Two" by Jack Broughton. It's about his experiences before Vietnam, like flying Jugs over Europe!

"Chicken Hawk" by Robert Mason, it's about him flying helo's in Vietnam. He flew CH-46's.

Fiction:

"Flight of the Intruder" and "Intruders", one we all know I think, the other is about Grafton punching some mouthy hippie out and getting sent to teach a bunch of Marines to fly the A-6 in peacetime. Pretty cool book.

"The Wild Blue: A Novel of the USAF" by Walter J. Boyne, a famous history author. It follows four pilots and an enlisted guy through their careers, and their wives included. Pretty cool book, covering a lot of actually history while telling a real cool story. One pilot is just a good old boy with superior skills, one is a crazy @ss with great skill, one is a ring knocking West Pointer with alright skills but superior political connections, and the last is a black navigator turned pilot trying to make it in the white man's USAF. The book covers from Korea to post Vietnam, has smart bombs, helping the Israelis, a race riot, just an unbelievable book. Surprisingly enough it is a fast read and does not bore you, well me anyways, one little bit. By far one of the most captivating fiction works on aviation I have ever read. Here's a review and overview:

http://www.whiteoakbooks.com/305/Review.aspx

"The Expendables" by Leonard B. Scott. It's a ground pounder book, sorry :( Never the less, superb awesome book about 5 guys in the 1st Air Cav fighting in the Ia Drang in 1964.

~Stingray

Non Fiction

This one is a truly fantastic - read "Loud and Clear - The Memoirs of an Israeli Fighter Pilot" - by Iftach Spector - their second highest ace of all time - such an interesting life

Its very recent 2008/2009.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Loud-Clear-Yiftach-Spector/dp/076033630X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275137430&sr=1-1

I would second "Rupert Red Two", by Jack Broughton... P-47s to the Thunderbirds...

"Hell Hawks: the Untold Story of the American Fliers Who Savaged Hitler's Wehrmacht" by Door and Jones, about the 365th FG...

"Boyd: the Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War", by Robert Coram... Just get a copy and read it...

I found these books very interesting and vivid...

"First In, Last Out: Stories by the Wild Weasels - First person stories by Wild Weasel pilots, EWOs and their associates" - The Society of Wild Weasels - Edited by Col. Edwards T. Rock, USAF (Ret.)

"Flying Black Ponies" - Kit Lavell - Naval Institute Press

"Bury Us Upside Down - The MISTY pilots and the secret battle for the Ho Chi Minh trail" - Rick Newman and Don Shepperd - Ballantine Books

"Magnum! - The Wild Weasels in Desert Storm" - Brick Eisel and Jim Schreiner - Pen & Sword

"Strike Eagle - Flying the F-15E in the Gulf War" - William L. Smallwood - Potomac Books

and now I'm reading, from the same author, "Warthog - Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War".

Edited by mdatelmi

I would like to see more books on fighter performance topic.

I read "Fighter Performance in Practice: Phantom vs MiG-21" from eBay and I hope to see more similar papers...