Sign in to follow this  
Crusader

Strike Fighters 2: Israel RELEASE

Ummmm, I can't explain this but without changing any settings things have improved... perhaps it's all loosened up!

Removed HDR plugin, not using advanced shaders gives me an improvement on FPS with HDR plugin in pre October version of SF2 series, averaging 16-22 (limited at 22 so will take a look what happens unlimited). Green hell as implemented in Eburger's Vietnam mod seems to be fine! I removed previous install of the Vietnam mod and made a copy of SF2V.exe to make a new mod folder, applied all the fix packs and walla! Works just like it did.

I noticed better terrain graphics than WOI.

Did this improvement cause all the terrain problems?

I noticed better terrain graphics than WOI.

Did this improvement cause all the terrain problems?

I think some textures are slightly adjusted, and some changes to the terrain shadowing aswell. Maybe there are some additional parameters in terrain _data.ini? Haven't yet extracted the cats ( :blink: ) to check the ini files.

Any new features such as better trackIr support or aircraft and cockpit night lighting or taxi start as far as you could see?

Cheers

L

btw the screenshots look amazing

Removed HDR plugin, not using advanced shaders gives me an improvement on FPS with HDR plugin in pre October version of SF2 series, averaging 16-22 (limited at 22 so will take a look what happens unlimited). Green hell as implemented in Eburger's Vietnam mod seems to be fine! I removed previous install of the Vietnam mod and made a copy of SF2V.exe to make a new mod folder, applied all the fix packs and walla! Works just like it did.

So you have trees working? Is that what I am reading?

Is the decals problem of SF2 now fixed (the white outline on decals)?

Edited by Soulfreak

Well if there are so many changes to the terrain, one could expect a new terrain editor...

Did anybody ask TK about that?

Well if there are so many changes to the terrain, one could expect a new terrain editor...

Did anybody ask TK about that?

Actually one guy asked this on Thirdwire forum. What was his name..? Brain... Brain32 or something like that :rofl:

I don't think new editor would be down the road in near future :sad:

Yeah lol, I posted this then waited...waited....got really impatient and decided to ask even though I still didn't get the game lol

Anyway if the ini's are not the problem here, then without the tool SF2:I terrain was made with we can basically forget terrain modding...it's hard to talk about it for me right now as I can't see what's going on, but I will very soon :)

Are the migs redone? could someone pls post some pics of the new migs? would be nice and I`m interested in the canopy are if it`s possible. :drinks:

So you have trees working? Is that what I am reading?

I must have been dreaming, but I was sure it did work! Tried again and all I got was flickering between loading screen showing 90% and the game but not pretty. post-13988-12559803969464.jpg I had the same result with Vietnam North and South. I noticed in the options ini that while antialiasing and use advanced shaders are both set to 0 in my (as of last night) still working SF2E October install, the Vietnam install was set to antialising 4 and shaders 0, so I set aliasing to 0, bingo! Game loaded fine, took off from the airfield but didn't see one tree, but just as I retracted flaps the computer froze and I got a blue screen. I'll give the laptop a break for a bit, no more testing for a while.

If you repack the terrains back to a CAT file they work.

However you have to unpacked the original germanyce, added the mods to it, then repacked it, called it germanyce and put in the main install terrains folder.

Brain32 figured it out.

I just tried it, didn't work so far. I remembered to take out the cat file reference in SouthVietnam.INI so it isn't that. I put the new cats both into the main terrain folder, not in the mod folder. Will give it another go.

However you have to unpacked the original germanyce, added the mods to it, then repacked it, called it germanyce and put in the main install terrains folder.

Riiiiight! Er,m can't quite follow, so do you make a cat file of the SouthVietnam and mod VietnamSEA folders first, as I just tried, or do you dump the whole lot into a folder with the extracted GermanyCE and remake as GermanyCE cat, and then what should be in the mod folder if anything?

Edited by GwynO

I just tried it, didn't work so far. I remembered to take out the cat file reference in SouthVietnam.INI so it isn't that. I put the new cats both into the main terrain folder, not in the mod folder. Will give it another go.

Now since he divided that terrain into 2 you are going to have to do what I said twice.

Unpack the original VietnamSEA.cat file

Make a copy of it.

Add eburgers mods from each of the terrains he divided up.

Repack the whole thing.

But I havent tried it with a divided terrain that uses the same cat file. Like in eburgers mod.

Brain32 figured it out.

Cool will try it out tomorrow

With version Oct 2009 - If you are missing HUD symbology for missiles on modern 3rd party jets like I was (Tornado F3/MiG-29s/FA-18 etc)then you may need to add some new code to the xxx_avionics.ini

[HUD]

HUDMaterial=HUDMaterial <--------- add this

HUDColor=0.36,1.0,0.82,0.7

BoresightOffset=0.0,0.00

ViewportTopLeft=-0.140,-0.195

And all of this below the [HUD] section

[HUDMaterial]

EffectShaderName=fltHUD.fx

DepthBufferCheck=FALSE

DepthBufferWrite=FALSE

RenderedInOrder=FALSE

AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE

CullMode=NO_CULL

LightEnabled=FALSE

UseLightLevel=FALSE

SpecularEnabled=FALSE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=FALSE

AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

ZBufferOffset=0

PriorityLevel=1

BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA

NumTextureStages=1

TextureStage[01].TextureName=

TextureStage[01].MipMap=FALSE

TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE

TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

then save

Edited by MigBuster

Give me some time though.

I got the Vietnam terrain to work, but not the South Vietnam terrain.

img00002.JPG

Dave:

You wrote:

But I havent tried it with a divided terrain that uses the same cat file. Like in eburgers mod.

One thing that I noticed yesterday when testing was that SF2I was picking up the different terrain INI files. It recognized two separate terrains, picked up the new terrain items (buildings, bridges, etc.) from the TYPES.INIs, and also picked up the new target areas from the TARGETS.INIs. I could bomb the Ai Mo Warehouse Facility (a new target area), for example, and all the buildings were there. It's just that they were sitting on top of the default terrain tiles, not the Brain32/CA_Stary tiles.

What that suggests is that you could add all the new terrain stuff except for the modded INIs to the VietnamSEA.cat, then keep the separate sets of INIs for each terrain (North and South). So, try packing everything but the following from the VietnamSEA terrain into the VietnamSEA.cat:

VietnamSEA.INI

VIETNAMSEA_TYPES.INI

VIETNAMSEA_TARGETS.ini

VIETNAMSEA_MOVEMENT.INI

VIETNAMSEA_data.INI

Don't bother packing anything from the SouthVietnam terrain, as it has all the same items (save for the INIs) as the VietnamSEA terrain. Then replace the default VietnamSEA.cat with your modded version.

Note that I have not tried this myself yet, but it just might work, giving you both terrains.

Eric L. Howes

I got the Vietnam terrain to work, but not the South Vietnam terrain.

The pilot in the image must be thinking "Oy vey, I must have made a wrong turn at Galilee!" :grin:

Dave:

Note that I have not tried this myself yet, but it just might work, giving you both terrains.

In fact, it does work. I created a new VietnamSEA.cat just as described in my previous post. I left the custom terrain INIs in each terrain folder. I then flew a strike mission with the North Vietnam terrain against the Bac Long radar station (island off Haiphong). I then switched to the South Vietnam terrain and flew a strike against a PAVN base along the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

The one bit of weirdness that I did note was rendering of clouds and mountains when they collide. I got not only the familiar clipping glitches with SF2V/SF2E, but also that curious snow-on-the-ground effect that happens if you play around with some of the RenderInOrder settings in the terrain DATA.INI. In some instances I saw clouds switch from one glitch to the other -- first being clipped by the side of a mountain only to morph into snow-on-the-ground once I got closer.

Aside from that, no problems.

Eric L. Howes

Well that is good to know but what a pain in the ass.