Sign in to follow this  
KJakker

SF2 Downloads Organization.

I had a question concerning the differences in the categories used in the SF1 and SF2 downloads section of the site. How come the SF2 section does not have the same amount of detail in its top level and sub-category level organization?

I think it would make it easier, especially for new users, to find specific files for the SF2 series if the SF2 Downloads section were organized in the same way as the SF1 Downloads are. What would it take to fill in the missing categories and move the appropriate files into them?

Edited by KJakker
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I can answer that, the answer is no not at this time. Why? Because the last time I did it, it really messed things up. Like bad and it took Erik a long long time to fix it all. I may be speaking ignorantly (in a nut shell) but what had happened was all the file moving ect put a strain in the server and it nuked itself. I am sure I'm talking in the lowest form of what happened but that was my take from it all. I think if the file section gets too huge then we will come up with a plan to do it without nuking something. For the time being though its not that much of a pain to go through as its not that big. Its 846 files compared to 5335 files.

And most of us SF2 users (like me) go to the SF1 section, download and convert as we go along too.

I think it would make it easier, especially for new users, to find specific files for the SF2 series if the SF2 Downloads section were organized in the same way as the SF1 Downloads are. What would it take to fill in the missing categories and move the appropriate files into them?

Did you know that the search function works within the downloads section as well as the forum ?

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Thanks for the reply. I was letting my library science training guide my thinking. I should have known it would not be as simple as it looked.

Because the last time I did it, it really messed things up.

Boy, is that an understatement, or what? :grin:

• Like 1

Did you know that the search function works within the downloads section as well as the forum ?

Yes, I was aware that the downloads section can be searched. However many aircraft names are like Mig-25 or P-38 and the search engine does not like search terms with - sings in them and sometime does not allow terms less than three characters long which a lot of aircraft and ground object names have.

In comparison SF1 has and easily found "> SF/WO* Add-On Aircraft > WW2 Aircraft> Allied Aircraft> Allied Fighters" structure. That allows one to refine the focus of a search before entering a search term.

Edited by KJakker

my only input is that if spinners gets a what if page, there should be a Phantoms only page!:grin:

my only input is that if spinners gets a what if page, there should be a Phantoms only page!:grin:

I see it so too.

If not a phantom etc.. page,

there should be categories like WW2 coldwar & modern.

Carlo

I'll see if I can do that. Just give me sometime so Erik can finish the upgrades, before I wreck the server. :lol:

I like it this way, sometimes one finds the unexpected.

cheers

A very enlightened reply!

Carlo

I'll see if I can do that. Just give me sometime so Erik can finish the upgrades, before I wreck the server. :lol:

Sure Dave! :rofl:

But it´s nice to know that we will have a lil better DL structure later here! :good:

no worries on time just yet. as someone said the Gen 2 section is still quite abit smaller than Gen1. those of us who've been navigating it since it kicked off should have a good idea roughly where things are and for the new guys i usually point them in the right directon if they are lookin for something. but i still want a Phantom page like you want a pony!

Fellas, I will have some time on Sunday and I'll start it provided Erik gives me the green light first. I'm keeping it simple though. If I wreck the sevar!!!!!!!!!!! Erik will JDAM my ass....again....