Looks superb! Now I'll wait to see the aircraft in all its glory. :-)

Edited by Spillone104

Centurion, great work! :yikes:

I hope you are doing the same job on the plane model. :grin:

BTW, which versions have you planned???

Centurion, great work! :yikes:

I hope you are doing the same job on the plane model. :grin:

BTW, which versions have you planned???

Thx! Well the PD ie improved interceptor is no1 priority, after that RB in some version or versions, the diffirences gameplay wise are so miniscule between the myriad of RBs, RBK, RBS, et c that i might bunch them as one "RB". Then BM sead aircraft

Looks superb! Now I'll wait to see the aircraft in all its glory. :-)

Well done

I have waited so long for someone with the talent to do this baby justice!

Nice work!

MiG are gonna kill!

Thanks!

The pit looks more than I was expecting at the very beginning! drinks.gif

You have done a great job!

Haha yeah lol @ the first picture i posted.

Man you are great and that is a real artpiece, congrats!!! Hope we can use it soon!!!

Thx, I wish to use it soon too :) Afraid of the ini bit :blink:

That sir is a work of art... I think 80% of my red birds will use it, no matter if appropriate it looks that hot!

(and if only I had the skills with the texture baking, damn!)

Thanks man, and also, NooOOoooOO :grin: I have put too much time making it specifically a mig25PD to have it be jury-rigged as something else :good: But do give me a shout if you need something, at least the instrumentation is very similar on all era soviet a/c.

Also Stary and all others, I recommend a toolbox initially made for Arma2 modding for 3ds max, it has in built texture baking functionality and other nifty stuff, like instant reference planes creation, very handy for all sim vehicle building not only Arma2.

looky here:

http://forums.bistud...ead.php?t=82188

Have you thought about a PU version? Just changing the nose ;)

Several, but order of importance:

MiG-25PD cockpit (ie improved interceptor)

MiG-25PD exterior

MiG-25RB pit+ext (modifying the above)

MiG-25BM pit+ext (dito)

and then maybe somewhere along the way, a regular P variant, U trainers et cetera... Which require more work ofcourse as they differ more from the above. The RB should be an interesting bird to fly, imagine bomging at Mach 2+ with eight FAB-500 retarded bombs from 60,000ft :P (how would you ever hit anything in SF2) :grin:

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

Is it to much to ask for a P version, since it was like the most secret soviet plane ever, reason of too many speculations, even movies like Firefox, well, just saying...

@Flogger23: Probably as an AI only at first, since the cockpit is very different! Not only gray colored but different gun sight et cetera...

Very very early WIP of the exterior, still quite inaccurate... It is very difficult for me to work this kind of model since i havent done it since like 2008 when I modeled an Mi-28.. But I'm getting there, it is quite different from working on the cockpit.

gallery_19311_694_63458.jpg

gallery_19311_694_40713.jpg

only 10k tris so far... target around 25k?

EDIT: Could some mod remove the "cockpit" from the thread title?

Edited by Centurion-1

You can edit the title so far I know by your self. Just edit the first post in this topic ;)

Just ask Volkerm how much polys his Bucc hast ;) will you create different LOD`s for different distances?

You was the man I was waiting for, just to see an upgrate, looks good to me ;)

Have you htought about to import the Mi-28 model into SF2?

Yep will make LODs. The poly count will anyway remain low because of the simple and angular shape. It didn't get the nickname "flying suitcase" for nothing, you know :lol:

At the risk of derailing the thread here is the Mi-28N that I made, cockpit is only half done because of NO references for the Mi-28N cockpit...

gallery_19311_694_525066.jpg

Looks nice ;) Its someimtes difficult to find accurate documents about current russian birds, cause all is top secret ;)

Is it right that only the nose section needs to be done on the PU?

mig25pu_3.jpg

Just an an idea :drinks:

More progress. Btw couldn't edit my first post? And also found A BUNCH of Mi-28N cockpit refs. Yay.

gallery_19311_694_24674.jpg

gallery_19311_694_39514.jpg

thx spillone! Yeah I like the Havoc and I can say I'm quite confident it's accurate as well! Modelling for sims is a real PITA compared to say your run of the mill fantasy game. I have worked on the fuselage and wings a lot more, but it is very difficult to be sure if you are on the right track or not... I must be the only guy who likes uvmapping more than modeling. :yikes:

I just have this nagging feeling the the fuselage needs to be almost spot on before there is any point in starting to make all the cavities for landing gears et cetera...

External work continues. It is not super fast work, very nitpicky and fidgety at this stage. I am very paranoid about getting it wrong..

gallery_19311_694_15777.jpg

gallery_19311_694_36709.jpg

External work continues. It is not super fast work, very nitpicky and fidgety at this stage. I am very paranoid about getting it wrong..

It looks great so far :good: Take your time, no one's rushing you.

Hello,

Very very good work! Effectively take your time... step by step!!! :good:

Thank you,

Coupi. :bye:

Please look at these some photos, especially first two. It's easy to overlook the upper airbrake (45 deg rotated when opened).

post-19379-0-94528000-1322075047.jpg

post-19379-0-48556100-1322075065.jpg

post-19379-0-91330800-1322075081.jpg

Remember the pictures i've sent you the lower airbrake opens at 45 degrees too but it's square:)

An RBT would be cool also.

i think that version looks pretty agressive!

resizeimage_manager.php?D=1000&FILENAME=1227788312_TC-103_MiG-25R_IrAF-5121.jpg

I think we should make a good and up to date tutorial about making cockpits for Sf2 to help aspiring modders, starting with the purely visual stuff (modeling tricks, uvmapping stuff that is important, baking AO maps in 3ds max, normal maps, texturing tips) and then exporting, how to make all the ini stuff work. I know it's figure-out-able but this way we the community might get more hi quality cockpits!

I'd be willing to put my base materials/photoshop files out for distribution as well as a sample cockpit file that could include a lot of "generic" stuff like switches, lights, buttons et cetera and dials and needles out for DL, sort of a "create a cockpit-kit" where the modder would only basically need to model the cockpit layout and any plane specific stuff. I know there are some great minds in this community and great artists (julhelm, krizis *cough*) who could give a lot of good advice!

In other news, I'm making the throttle stick now, one of the more complex pieces for this pit...

great idea Centurion! I'd love to have such tutorials and library :good:

Aspiring Modder

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

being quite newbie in the cockpits area I'd love to!

I think I am going to make the next simple cockpit I do a tutorial at the same time. I have promised to do the MiG29SMT, so that is next on the list, but after that it's the Draken I think. And I am really interested in making a F-5 pit too.

Anyways, I decided to take the plunge and try to export the pit into the game! And amazingly it worked on the first try!! Max didnt crash, the game didnt crash, i didnt have to fiddle around a million inis and try to export a bazillion times like in all other games. Neat!

gallery_19311_694_39448.jpg

None of the instruments work yet, but performance is silky smooth at 3*2048 dds and 1*1024 dds texture and 47k tris