try JPG textures, then performance will be better! :good:

Great work so far!!!

Jpeg has s**tty compression. DDS is industry-standard.

Can you post the texture flats?

But it uses less space then dds textures. Which means better performance in game.

Short answer: No.

Keep in mind that in addition to the above, JPEG has to be decompressed into VRAM at runtime, unlike DDS:

DXT compressed textures can be used directly in their compressed form by most modern GPUs so the main advantages to using DXT compressed textures instead of using a JPEG and decompressing into an RGB format are performance related:

1) DXTs take up less space in memory so more textures can fit in local video memory (i.e. on the graphics card, local to the GPU so faster to texture from) so there are fewer per-frame texture uploads to local video memory.

2) Related to the above point, less bits used per texel at the GPU end of things means more texels fit in the texture cache so less cache misses.

This also applies to .png format, which is also small filesize yet as expensive as bmp or tga at runtime:

Compressed DDS can be run streamed directly into GPU VRAM, so a 1024x1024 DXT1 texture comes out at roughly 1.25mb, and that's what it takes up in video memory.

However, if we load the same 1024 texture as a JPG or PNG file, it gets decompressed into 8-bit RGB, or 1024kb per channel, which ends up at the same 3mb size as were it a BMP. So JPG and PNG are actually more expensive despite having a smaller filesize on your harddrive.

So don't do it.

Thx all for your comments!

Jules: I could post the flats yeah if you want to see them, they are not one hundred percent done but...

Are there any tutorials anywhere how to set up the different gauge-types and the radar?

I could just continue to do it trial and error but it would be faster and more productive to just have a tut, esp. the radar seems complex.

How do you do warninglights, from looking at the ini for the previous MiG25PD cockpit it seems to be a matter of moving the different lights or can they be toggled to be visible / hidden somehow?

I would think the SF1 Knowledge Base may cover it but I'd ask a few people, Soulfreak, I think Spectre8750 may help, ravenclaw_007

But very nice work man, can't wait for the SMT...

Edited by EricJ

... Top!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Many thanks... :bye:

Centurion,

at one point you mentioned Viggen. I have AJ-37 ground attack variant unfinished cockpit somewhere on the CD from back then (around 2006) would you like to have a peek on it?

edit:

I think it's Max 5 or so format...

Edited by Stary

Sure Stary, I actually started a Viggen exterior models a few months back, it is still very early WIP, but yeah it's planned after all the other planned projects :heat: PM me with it, though! If it follows the trend of other models from back then it will be pretty ultra low poly but something is better than nothing!

Also, how do I set the reflection texture in the ini?

it's hi-poly in fact

Good to hear! I'd love to take a look at it!

I got a bunch of instruments working now, which is nice.

gallery_19311_694_156103.jpg

I also need your help at trying to understand how these instruments work:

gallery_19311_694_24569.jpg

2 should be the Horizontal situation indicator

Ok.. err.. a translation and/or explanation would be good with that too :dntknw:

Making a cockpit makes you realize how little you actually know about avionics and stuff. and by you I mean me. :rofl:

I've got you covered...I think cause sometimes I have funny explanations lol

First the picture:

gallery_3270_118_101597.jpg

I think it has the 3d max part covered, hierarchy is important for all that stuff to work properly...

Now the ini-entries:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[HSICompassWheel]

Type=MAGNETIC_COMPASS

NodeName=Compass

MovementType=ROTATION_Y

ValueUnit=DEG

Set[01].Position=00.0

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-360.0

Set[02].Value=360.0

[HSIBearingMarker]

Type=BEARING_MARKER

NodeName=hsiBearingNeedle

MovementType=ROTATION_Y

ValueUnit=DEG

Set[01].Position=0.0

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=360.0

Set[02].Value=360.0

[HSICourseArrow]

Type=COURSE_ARROW

NodeName=hsiCourseNeedle

MovementType=ROTATION_Y

ValueUnit=DEG

Set[01].Position=0.0

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=360.0

Set[02].Value=360.0

[HSICourseDeviation]

Type=COURSE_DEVIATION

NodeName=hsiCourseDeviationNeedle

MovementType=POSITION_X

ValueUnit=DEG

Set[01].Position=-0.015

Set[01].Value=-5.0

Set[02].Position=0.015

Set[02].Value=5.0

[HSICourseDeviation2]

Type=COURSE_DEVIATION

NodeName=hsiCourseDeviationNeedle2

MovementType=POSITION_Y

ValueUnit=DEG

Set[01].Position=-0.015

Set[01].Value=-5.0

Set[02].Position=0.015

Set[02].Value=5.0

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any questions you can think of, just ask :good:

Good to hear! I'd love to take a look at it!

I got a bunch of instruments working now, which is nice.

gallery_19311_694_156103.jpg

I also need your help at trying to understand how these instruments work:

gallery_19311_694_24569.jpg

No 1 appears to be the Russian version of an altimeter.

Looks more like a combination KM/H and Mach indicator to me. The scale that goes to 30 seems odd for an altimeter but makes sense for Mach.

I agree with Jug, with a service ceiling of about 22000 meters, 30k meters seems a good scale to me ... and the little number (2221) in the lower part of the instrument could be the barometric pressure, typical of an altimeter.

with on \ off for lights you have 2 meshes...one with ON texture at front and the OFF textured mesh behind,the ini entry turns on\off the one thats selected in game then.I dont think actually it matters which mesh is at front \ back.?

Edited by russouk2004