Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Vipers during Desert Storm?

IIRC the Viper main task was A-G attack during the Gulf War in 1991, but did they carried any radar guided missile or took any A-A mission?

Thanks.

None achieved an A-A kill, and they did only have AIM-9s. Air superiority was an Eagle thing, so much Tomcats did get only one kill IIRC, but i guess that would be another story

I believe some F-16's did fly air to air missions alogside F-15's, but none achieved any aerial kills as mentioned and they only carried AIM-9's compared to the F-15's AIM-7's. The F-16 received the AIM-120 radar guided missile in 1992 and two F-16 pilots shot down Iraqi Migs in '92 and '93 however.

The F-15 really had a monopoly over all other fighters, with the F-14 getting only 1 kill, the F-18 only 2, and F-16's none.

However don't forget the F-16 flew more sorties than any other aircraft in ODS, and that alone is an outstanding achievement for the Falcon!

Edited by warthog64

dont forget the Warthogs had 2........

Of course, I was just referring to fighters though. Those A-10 kills were pretty interesting engagements though, Equally interesting is the one F-15E kill using an LGB!

In addition to fighters and A-10's there was an EF-111 that scored a maneuvering kill, and some sources claim an AH-64 scored a kill against another helo although I don't have any real info or knowledge of that story.

Edited by warthog64

Thanks, pretty interesting the Eagle role in the conflict and the A-G role of the Vipers!

I remember to read on a photo of a viper without A-A missiles  to half of campaign because the coalition had managed to deny the air space to irak

Whats the story with the A-10's?

I've heard the F-15E and Apace stories before, also heard about an RAF Tornado doing much the same as the F-15.

Craig

hadn't heard about the Apache kill. as a Soldier that tends to find himself on airbases, i don't think the pilots would let the AF forget that Army Aviation got a kill too!

fallenphoenix,  the Hogs kills were pretty much like Thud A2A tactics in Nam.......  poor bastards (the Iraqi choppers) were unfortuneate enough to fly in front of the largest gatling gun airborne!!

IIRC only one was a gun kill, and the other was a bomb like the F-15Es?

Anyway, when it comes to the F-16 I will always remember the reporter on I think CNN (although it might have been one of the big 3 at the time, since they were actually considered bigger back then and those 4 were it) talking about how the USAF was "carpet bombing with their F-16s"...and I got an image of carpets rolled up on the pylons. :biggrin:

Anyway, when it comes to the F-16 I will always remember the reporter on I think CNN (although it might have been one of the big 3 at the time, since they were actually considered bigger back then and those 4 were it) talking about how the USAF was "carpet bombing with their F-16s"...and I got an image of carpets rolled up on the pylons. :biggrin:

Get the impression from Vipers in the Storm most USAF F-16s went in big formations dropping MK82/84s with CCRP (well at the start anyway) - almost like F-105 / B-17s

Well we had B-52s doing that, and there were LGBs a plenty between all the different planes out there, so I'm not sure how many dumb bombs were used by the smaller planes.

Is curious the Viper never received the Sparrow. IIRC, the ADF variant was able to use them, but was that used by someone?

read bout a mission in the book Iron Hand where the South Carolina ANG went after a SAM site in Kuwait armed with Mk84s!  amazingly didn't lose anyone, tho the commander said he felt it was more SAM depletion than SAM suppression...

as for the ADFs, they were originally for the ANG interceptor units. i believe several went to Jordan in the 90s after a peace treaty was signed with Isreal  but thats about it.  everyone else opted to go with Amraams for BVR

correction: at a minimum the Italians leased ADFs for about 5 years til the Typhoon came online.  with only 270 ADFs modified   anyone else flying them got them second hand from the Guard...

Edited by daddyairplanes

Is curious the Viper never received the Sparrow. IIRC, the ADF variant was able to use them, but was that used by someone?

Had provision for them from about block 15 - they were even test fired in the 70s - although not used till 89

72-01567.jpg

Politics involved potentially (to do with F-15) - also read the AIM-120 was being thought about in the 70s so they thought they would wait.

The SCANG story from Desert Storm is immense - F-16A Block 10s with dumb bombs and no F-4G weasal support hitting around 10 SAM sites - most SAMS launched at 1 flight in the history of aviation - got rewarded with an upgrade to F-16CJ Block 52 afterwards.

Edited by MigBuster
  • Like 1

The SCANG story from Desert Storm is immense - F-16A Block 10s with dumb bombs and no F-4G weasal support hitting around 20 SAM sites - most SAMS launched at 1 flight in the history of aviation - got rewarded with an upgrade to F-16CJ Block 52 afterwards.

Pretty interesting history, will like to see it expanded.

Have pics for those ANG Sparrow armed Vipers?

ajw.jpg

AIM-7 and AIM-120

F-16A_ADF_US2.JPEG

it was 10 SAM sites in the SCANG story - 2 jets per site - they had ECM pods and RWR (ALR-69) - & limited EF-111 support from 60 miles away as only 1 of 2 could make it. SAMS were SA-2, 3 & 6. 

You should be able to see some physical differences on the ADF

Cool pics! Thanks for posting them. Interesting story on that SAM sites, will be cool to replicate on SF.

ADF had that comb thing in front of the canopy for IFF. That's the easiest to spot. Also on the left side just under the RWR blister on the nose is the spotlight used for IDing.

I don't think any sim ever had the F-16 carry 7's since you were never flying the ADF.

Had provision for them from about block 15 - they were even test fired in the 70s - although not used till 89

72-01567.jpg

Politics involved potentially (to do with F-15) - also read the AIM-120 was being thought about in the 70s so they thought they would wait.

The SCANG story from Desert Storm is immense - F-16A Block 10s with dumb bombs and no F-4G weasal support hitting around 10 SAM sites - most SAMS launched at 1 flight in the history of aviation - got rewarded with an upgrade to F-16CJ Block 52 afterwards.

Also had a lot to do with the early block F-16 IFF system (or lack there of) until the ADF variants came online wit the the "bird slicer" antennas.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article14.html

Edited by ironroad

Don't forget, those "bird slicers" on the ADF were on the top of the nose and another matching set under the intake. The tail bulge was the result of some control surface apparatus that needed more room due to the space taken up ADF's improved IFF system. The ADF was produced to replace aging interceptors in Guard units. No Guard units with ADFs that served in the interceptor role deployed to ODS. So, no ADFs in ODS.

C's could carry AIM-7 on the inner wing pylons from the beginning. The problem you have, is that the F-16, in ODS, WAS NOT USED  in the sweep, intercept, or CAP role. Those pylons that could accept AIM-7 in ODS had Mk80s or CBUs loaded because they where used in the strike, attack, role.

Just because something "could" happen does not mean it did.

In this case it didn't.

• Like 1

Some ADF's went to Jordan and I think some went to the Italians. The Happy Hooligans were the last ADF unit. This picture here was taken in 2005 (I think) when I was stationed at Sheppard AFB. The NDANG flew their ADF's to Sheppard to become ground trainers. I was lucky enough to get a pic with one before they were painted over. I lobbied the Wing Commander to save one in the Happy Hooligans for historical purposes like they had done for an F-15A and a Edwards white/orange F-16B but it fell on deaf ears.

• Like 2

Yeah, the Italians leased some while awaiting their Typhoon deliveries. They replaced the retiring 104's I think? Anyway, they didn't have them too long.