This bit of info might be of interest for all aircraft modders out there.

I was testing the upcoming F-22 Raptor addon placed in my custom mod folder, and its custom aircraft sounds were played correctly. However, after placing the complete addon package inside a clean SF2 mod folder, the F-22's sounds ceased to be played accordingly (I mean, you hear some sounds, but they are nothing like they should be).

After much investigation, it turns out this is due to the fact that my custom mod folder contained higher quality sound replacements for the stock SF2 sounds, such as JetBurner.wav, JetEngine.wav, Flaps.wav, Gear.wav, etc. It seems the game requires that a plane's custom sounds, such as F22Engine.wav and F22Gear.wav, match the same quality of the stock ones, JetEngine.wav and Gear.wav, for them to be played correctly. That is, if JetBurner.wav is 22050 Hz Mono (it is so in stock SF2, but a custom mod available here provides 44100 Hz replacements for all stock sounds: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/72280-strike-fighters-2-sounds/?tab=comments#comment-569500), F22Burner.wav must be 22050 Hz Mono as well, otherwise it won't be played as it is.

Since I am using the mod linked above, my F-22 sounds with a frequency of 44100 Hz are played correctly. Without the higher quality replacement of stock sounds, as provided by that mod, I would have to degrade the quality of my sounds to the lower frequency of stock SF2 sounds.

All of this info applies regardless if you're using a custom soundlist.ini, so take this into consideration when releasing aircraft mods. I don't want to degrade my F-22 sounds to 22050 Hz or even 11025 Hz in some cases, so I will provide the few needed replacements of stock sounds from that mod.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does the setting in the Sound Options Menu something to do with it ?

41 minutes ago, Crusader said:

Does the setting in the Sound Options Menu something to do with it ?

No. In the options you can only change the number of channels and the stereo setup, and they do not affect this behaviour as far as I've seen.

Oddly enough, the FlightEngine.ini contains this bit of default settings, which cannot be changed in the menus;

[SoundSettings]
SampleFrequency=44100
BitsPerSample=16
DopplerFactor=1.0

The sample frequency is set to 44100 Hz, but most if not all SF2 sounds use a lower frequency. Whichever the case, this behaviour I have noticed should not be considered normal. I'd add this to the long list of bugs of Strike Fighters 2.

Edited by Menrva

you know what...your right this is different to the single versions I had before the complete pack...jetburner wav on my made models sounds shyte...it seems to phase in and out....sounds like robot

my hawk wav for instance was a sample from a hawk at valley I recorded and in sf2 before it sounded real...now it sounds like its clicking every 2 seconds as it loops last time it was a constant level...and you couldnt tell it was a loop..

I might even go back to single installs....and just add the dlc as I go and need them should be possible...Kev  what you think ...Wrench knows everything...

im gonna install one game from old...SF Europe ..and make an old modded install I had before SF Great Britain and see if its ok...maybe we can use some older components to sort this.

Edited by russouk2004

I've been having sound issues in NA -and ONLY in NA - for several years now (and I"m not alone in this, irrc). Oddly, Mod Folders (ww2) built from the NA exe, and using the same sounds (like the AvHistory R-1820x4 sound or RazBamn's Skyraider sound) are fine. The same 2 wavs (and others ) in the STOCK NA (ok, with addon aircraft and such) they sound like wind up toys or Testors 0.49 gas engines.

This is an interesting thread .. lets see if we can't run this down

ok using audacity I changed mig29A wav to 16 bit pcm it was 32 bit float also it was 11025 mono now its sample rate is 44100mhz and seems to work as normal  try these see if work for you

mig29a2 wav is the new one...test and see if works ok    this wav always worked in my pre complete install edition    fekkin weird I miss the old windows recorder...it did wavs for SF great   also changing from 16 to 24 or 32 in game options for me does fuck all ...you guys ?

Mig29A.wav

Mig29A2.wav

Edited by russouk2004

this wav is with method above...resampled in audacity  its an fsxHunter .wav.....ignore shitty bits..just reinstalled lol needs a few files yet.....hunter wav is non burner sound...ab  sound is mig 29 which still works.

Test 2019-10-20 03-53-14-27.avi

5 hours ago, Wrench said:

The same 2 wavs (and others ) in the STOCK NA (ok, with addon aircraft and such) they sound like wind up toys or Testors 0.49 gas engines.

This is an interesting thread .. lets see if we can't run this down

You might want to pin this thread, Kevin.

Keep in mind what I said in the first post; the key is, you can use 44100 Hz 16 bit mono .wav sounds for your aircraft, if you use those 44100 Hz replacements for stock sounds from the linked mod; only then your other aircraft sounds will play as they are. Without those, they won't work correctly in stock SF2NA.

The following stock .wav files need a 44100 Hz replacement; JetEngine, JetBurner, Gear, Flaps, Airbrakes, and even StallSound, TireTouch, Breathing and Windloop for certain aircraft add-ons. If you use the ones from Brennus' mod, your specific aircraft sounds defined in the aircraft's _data.ini will work. Stock sounds are meant to be generic, so everyone might want to use the ones from that mod, and you have an easy fix. Actually, I fear this same logic applies to custom gun, weapon, RWR and ground object sounds as well! Stock sounds should all be replaced with 44100 Hz ones to be extra sure.

I recommend to use Audacity; you can easily re-save .wav files to 16 bit, at the desired frequency.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 1

For those of us with too many RL or Real Life problems to manage, can you guys please boil this down to an executive summary to get to the proper 44100 Hz sounds for all jets?

Thank you all for your hard work, especially @Menrva on this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JosefK said:

For those of us with too many RL or Real Life problems to manage, can you guys please boil this down to an executive summary to get to the proper 44100 Hz sounds for all jets?

AFAIU: If you want proper 44100Hz sounds, you have to change ALL (incl. stock sounds) to 44100 Hz.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mue said:

AFAIU: If you want proper 44100Hz sounds, you have to change ALL (incl. stock sounds) to 44100 Hz.

Just what mue said (I wasn't able to summarize it in my extra long posts, LOL!)

• Like 1

just to throw spanner in the works...tried new folder with no stock sounds...no matter what bit rate etc now they seem to work ok....weird....

only drawback I see with converting to 44100 you lose information in the file...sound loses quality  in audacity it seems to with a straight edit\then export.

45 minutes ago, russouk2004 said:

just to throw spanner in the works...tried new folder with no stock sounds...no matter what bit rate etc now they seem to work ok....weird....

only drawback I see with converting to 44100 you lose information in the file...sound loses quality  in audacity it seems to with a straight edit\then export.

Wrench suggested the issue happens when using the SF2NA executable, which is exactly what I have used. Whichever the case, it's kind of weird.

As for when converting to 44100 Hz via Audacity, I have not noticed any big loss of quality. Obviously, there is going to be a loss of quality if you convert from a higher frequency to a lower frequency (from 48000 Hz to 44100 Hz, or from 44100 Hz to 22050 Hz). Also, a 32 bit .wav is clearly better than a 16 bit one, but the game requires 16 bit .wav sound files.

• Like 2

Hi,

Is there anything that needs "changed/adjusted" regarding "propeller sounds"?  As for the "jet sounds" I could understand that and satisfied though, it's just the "prop sounds" like the S-199 sounds a bit "unpropeller-ish"<-- if this could be accepted as a "description" for it OR the "prop sounds" of the OV-10 broncho which sound like a "screaming Tamiya motor" or RC motor..

so, to you great MODDERS, is there a "step-by-step" way, an amateur-ish  me to adjust "something" in the .inis or anything?

Thanks

Dear Modders i am not so familiar, call it amatuer with editing the DATA.INI file just tried at my best but still its not working. I am having the following problems! I would like to hear the A-10 GAU-8, 30mm Gatling gun sound whiles firing the Hawker Hunter ’s internal 30MM_ADEN4 gun and i know that maybe some of you will say but thats a A-10 GAU-8, 30mm Gatling gun sound file, i compared the two guns soundwise on YouTube they sound similar at least to me. Any suggestions feedback and comments are welcome thanks a lot in Advance for any help on that. 

A-10 GAU-8, 30mm Gatling gun sound thats the name of the Soundfile A1030mm.wav I placed that (A1030mm.wav) sound file into my two Sound directories (C:\Users\Sample\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Sound), but still cant hear anything when i am firing the internal Guns.

[Sound]

EngineSoundName=JetEngine

AfterburnerSoundName=JetBurner

BreathingSoundName=Breathing

DamagedEngineSoundName=PlaneFire

FlapsSoundName=Flaps

LandingSoundName=TireTouch

AirbrakesSoundName=Airbrakes

GearsSoundName=Gear

StallsoundName=StallWarning

WindSoundName=MF Windcockpit02

GunFireSound=A1030mm ç Where do i have to place this line ?

// Internal Guns ---------------------------------------------------------Hawker Hunter

[InternalGun1]

SystemType=FIXED_GUN

GunTypeName=30MM_ADEN4

InputName=FIRE_PRIMARY_GUN

MuzzlePosition=-0.24,4.39,-0.41

LightPosition=-0.24,4.49,-0.41

AimAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

GunFireSound=A1030mm  ç Where do i have to place this line to hear sound? Or wich command do i have to use to get it working ?

MaxAmmo=100

EjectShells=TRUE

//EjectShells=FALSE

EjectPosition=-0.49,1.80,-0.44

EjectVelocity=-1.0,0.0,-2.0

MinExtentPosition=-0.30,3.36,-0.52

MaxExtentPosition=-0.15,4.36,-0.32

make new Aden gun in gun folder....rename it so its unique like 30MM_ADEN_New

rename the wav you prefer to match like 30MM_ADEN_New.wav

[InternalGun1]

SystemType=FIXED_GUN

GunTypeName=30MM_ADEN_New  < just add this...no need for any other enrty when you have done the above

InputName=FIRE_PRIMARY_GUN

MuzzlePosition=-0.24,4.39,-0.41

LightPosition=-0.24,4.49,-0.41

AimAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

or use gun editor to do it...copy the aden and you can assigne new wav here

ppp.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

Thanks a lot for the prompt response :ok: and assistance is very much appreciated...:clapping:

• Like 1

This IS weird....copied and renamed Aden to make ADEN5  all exactly same...used gun ed to assign new wav  gau8 and wont play sound at all...is the editor porked?

ok Flamesky....do this....

in flight folder find you soundslist.ini...add these and make numbers consequetive... replace the XXX with next numbers...

SoundFileXXX=ADEN5
SoundFileXXX=Gau8a

Then scroll down and add these...

[ADEN5]
Priority=NORMAL
Looped=TRUE
NumBuffers=4
3DSound=TRUE
DopplerEffect=FALSE
MaxDist=1000.000000
MinDist=50.000000
InsideConeAngle=360
OutsideConeAngle=360
ConeOutsideVolume=0

[Gau8a]
Priority=NORMAL
Looped=TRUE
NumBuffers=2
3DSound=TRUE
DopplerEffect=FALSE
MaxDist=1000.000000
MinDist=50.000000
InsideConeAngle=360
OutsideConeAngle=360
ConeOutsideVolume=0

Then drop the new 30MM_ADEN5 folder into ur guns folder....and Gau8a wav into sounds....

check with gun ed to see they are loaded in game.

30MM_ADEN5.7z

yes, guns must be added to the soundlist ini

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wrench said:

yes, guns must be added to the soundlist ini

Yeah as I was using gun editor it occured to me that I had overlooked that lol.

Anyway, for guns it's easier and faster just  modify DATA files in notepad than use editor ;-)

• Like 1

Dear Russouk2004, and all the other modders, I followed according to your instruction given and finally  managend to get the Hawker Hunter Internal Guns to sound similar to a ADEN 30mm Cannon. A big thank you goes out to you:clapping: for spending your time and effort for helping me out that was very kind of you. :good::clapping:

• Like 1

Hi guys, 

Thanks a lot for your discussion. How do I create a fly-by sound like when the fighter jet comes from a distance? Thanks a lot.