Hi everybody.

I'm an old SF2 player of about 10 years ago.

I recently installed SF2 on my new pc, and I would like if someone would suggest me some really good recently made map mods.

Maybe also some suited for of low flight fun, with mountains and good canyons. 

(.......... I don't remember any good mountains/canyons map).

Posted (edited)

There's Gepard's Afghanistan map, but that's pretty old. Really not much maps unfortunately with mountain ranges to satisfy that itch, and I'd just recommend browsing through the Downloads section and going from there.

Edited by EricJ
  • Thanks 1

All the terrains from Menrva are great. You are just spoiled for choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, EricJ said:

There's Gepard's Afghanistan map, but that's pretty old. Really not much maps unfortunately with mountain ranges to satisfy that itch, and I'd just recommend browsing through the Downloads section and going from there.

A new map of Afghanistan would be really amazing!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stratos said:

A new map of Afghanistan would be really amazing!

Agreed, but I'm afraid that it won't be mountainy enough

• Like 1

22 hours ago, EagleRaptor said:

Hi everybody.

I'm an old SF2 player of about 10 years ago.

I recently installed SF2 on my new pc, and I would like if someone would suggest me some really good recently made map mods.

Maybe also some suited for of low flight fun, with mountains and good canyons. 

(.......... I don't remember any good mountains/canyons map).

.... When you read the message 3 times before send it .... but still there's an error ..... : "some suited for of low flight fun".

The fact of the issue is that there isn't much out there really, so you'll only get so much traction with this post. Unfortunately, the terrain system isn't as detailed and I like to fly in mountain ranges low level too. But this isn't DCS, and not a good sim to do it. Go fly DCS if you want that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EricJ said:

The fact of the issue is that there isn't much out there really, so you'll only get so much traction with this post. Unfortunately, the terrain system isn't as detailed and I like to fly in mountain ranges low level too. But this isn't DCS, and not a good sim to do it. Go fly DCS if you want that.

Yes, I have DCS. I love fly low (and high) with it. I wanted to see how much SF2 has grown in recent years.

With SF2 you can mod everything and I had sooo many interesting planes deeply modded by me. 

(Good that recently I was able to access the hard drive of my previous defunct PC).

DCS is coming out with an Afghanistan map (It's on pre-order) so that's about it. Without TK working on the title we're at where we're at right now, which is what modders can eek out of the game. Unfortunately, it's not much but they're finding new things to toy with and so on, but for the most part it's not being worked on (I'm just guessing since TK has moved to a more profitable mobile gaming). It's besting a dead horse by complaining about his lack of updates and so on. It's unfortunately trying to get the most out of a 2008 game.

• Like 1

I find Korea a very interesting map to fly over. 

As for Afghanistan, I think there is one in Falcon I wonder if that could be ported into SF2 world?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EricJ said:

DCS is coming out with an Afghanistan map (It's on pre-order) so that's about it. Without TK working on the title we're at where we're at right now, which is what modders can eek out of the game. Unfortunately, it's not much but they're finding new things to toy with and so on, but for the most part it's not being worked on (I'm just guessing since TK has moved to a more profitable mobile gaming). It's besting a dead horse by complaining about his lack of updates and so on. It's unfortunately trying to get the most out of a 2008 game.

I know ....... you modder did great for this 2008 game. 

Just now, EagleRaptor said:

I know ....... you modder did great for this 2008 game. 

They've done a lot for what the game is that's for sure, all of them at one point in time or another.

Nice mountainsides you also find at Formosa Strait terrain in the east of Taiwan.

• Like 1

with or without mountains, my rebuild of the stock IsraelME terrains adds a boatload of detailing (and corrects numerous problems of the original)

My usual respons is "anything with my name on it'. But Menrva is my worth successor :drinks:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are some good valleys and canyons in these terrains that I regularly fly training missions over:

Photo Real UK Terrain V2. - Full Terrains - CombatACE

Southwest United States for SF2 - Full Terrains - CombatACE

Also the Desert 4 terrain and it's various updates has a great , really deep and twisty canyon in the south near a Parani nuclear facility that's just perfect for a Top Gun: Maverick style mission to take it out!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, allenjb42 said:

There are some good valleys and canyons in these terrains that I regularly fly training missions over:

Photo Real UK Terrain V2. - Full Terrains - CombatACE

Southwest United States for SF2 - Full Terrains - CombatACE

Also the Desert 4 terrain and it's various updates has a great , really deep and twisty canyon in the south near a Parani nuclear facility that's just perfect for a Top Gun: Maverick style mission to take it out!

I downloaded 3 terrains yesterday, and you just mentioned two.

I have yet to install and test them.

"just perfect for a Top Gun: Maverick style mission to take it out!". Let's see if I'm better than this Maverick !

• Like 1