Sign in to follow this  
MAKO69

Heated Debate the battle of the stars

Whats your Fav and why? and What would you change to make the other more intersesting to you.

Edited by MAKO69

Star Wars: Gritty and realistic. Laser guns, space battles, lightsaber fights. Princess Leia chained up in a metal bikini.

Star Trek: Shiney and sterile. Tv remotes as lasers, middle aged dough bellied white guys sitting around talking technobabble. Or as whiteknight's sig says "The cast of the OC on a bridge designed by fraggle rock" for the newer iterations

The winner is obvious!

Neither: Star Wars is a glorified Western in space, Star Trek has silly weapons but the ideas of a laser beam that can be be stopped at a metre and half or so by soem unknown "force" is too unreal for me. Perhaps the least amount of suspension of belief is required by something like the Alien or Predator mythology than either of these clunky special effects and waffle fests. Oh and another thing that really, really gets on my wick about Star Wars is the incessant muzac that plays whenever anything at all happens, even more noticeable and annoying in the last round of films than the originals.

stoping laserbeams is comparable with radar tracking and ECM. ECM builds a "shield" around an object and disturb the radar signal with a much stronge rone or something else. You can also stop microwaves, radiofrequency and other stuff so why not stop Star trek laser beams with star trek shields (ECMs)

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

Star Wars: Gritty and realistic. Laser guns, space battles, lightsaber fights. Princess Leia chained up in a metal bikini.

Star Trek: Shiney and sterile. Tv remotes as lasers, middle aged dough bellied white guys sitting around talking technobabble. Or as whiteknight's sig says "The cast of the OC on a bridge designed by fraggle rock" for the newer iterations

The winner is obvious!

My own words used agaist me AAHH :wink:

I like both.

but Star Wars seems rather childish sometimes.The Jedi are just down right ghey to me.they basicaly can do anything.whats the point in having armies of millions if 2 dorks in robes can shred them with swords.The original 3 parts 3,4 and 5 were clasic sci-fi but the last 3 parts 1,2 and 3 were just dumbed down things designed to seel toys to kids.with some hamfisted political crap thrown in to make liberal parents smile.The Star wars series has some of the best(not nessisarily realistic) stace combat on the screen.

Eraser is right about a lot of trek.TNG was good somtimes silly at others.TOS is my fav.had some silly moments but the stories were solid for the most part.Voyager to me sucked.nuff said.I watched Enterprise about 5 times.seemed ok but they contradict the ST cannon all the time.No continuity at all.DS9 had it's moments too but got lost alot of the time.the change of the Klingons from some semi-arab conivining and devious enemies into lobsterheaded rockers with some charecture of samuria ethics was my bigest disapointment.

Space above and beyond was solid TV sci-fi.gritty near future stuff.

Old BSG was hocky and that damn mechanical dog needed to die.

New BSG gritty if a tad melodramatic.very good but the lets make Starbuck a chick to apease the PC croud pissed me off.on top of it at least in the mini series she wasn't a strong female charecxter she was just a mam with T1Ts no though into making her strong but jast cast ing a woman in a man charecter is shallow and a cop out.

I don't know why but I always had a soft spot for Space 1999

but my favorit has to be Doctor who.cheesey special effectes notwithstanding some of the stories rank up there with the best sci-fi stories ever brought to the screen.the new(2005) reincarnation is more visual but pretty damn good too.

Edited by whiteknight06604

Original Star Wars, a little too easy at times, yet a classic.

New Star Wars, utter bird droppings...

Star Trek, all of it, boring, repetitive, idiotic, ludicrous.

Space 1999, just like Star Trek, only shorter and actually managing to draw a smile from time to time and being a tad more clever (but just as ludicrous).

Original BSG, boring as hell...

New BSG, a telenovella in space.

B5, actually quite good, if somewhat a little strange.

Space Above and Beyond, you just can't miss that one.

Firefly, Joss Whedon's redemption.

Farscape... somewhat too campy at times, yet lovely.

Red Dwarf, just brilliant.

Hyperdrive, an enjoyable Star Trek.

Edited by Gunrunner

Me I like Star Wars, yet I have a special place in my heart for Star Trek my mom is a big scifi fan and Star Trek fan, introduced me to it when I was little. My mom is not a geek she was captain of her high school cheer squad and was for many years a cheer coach for a few high schools in the area who won many tournemants, and went to FL Disney World a few times and placed 1st or 2nd every time they went.

It´s different ages. For me, Star Wars is like WWII, and Star Trek, the travels for New Worlds, 16th century

(Federation is the Spanish Empire :cool: , English are Klingons :skull: and Germans are Vulcans :biggrin: ) and BattleStar

Galactica is like Exodus. I like this stories as they still have a piece of us.

Anyway, my fav is:

23kvkfn.jpg

Edited by macelena

Mine is Star Wars as Star Trek is too clinical and clean... saying that though Firefly and BSG (Early for sentimental reasons, Late as its very good apart from the swap characters sex to make it all PC--- opps did I say that) but I guess its got to be a close run one between Babylon 5 or Fargate for the simple reasons

A) They get weird quick

B) The humour

C) The realms of physics still gets involved (okay sort of Einstein wouldnt be happy)

Oh yeah and they arent clinical and clean said it again....

I enjoy both Star Trek and Star Wars, but given the choice I'd probably watch Trek.

Star Trek gives you a lot more to pick from - 10 movies and hundreds of episodes. Yeah, it can be repetitive at times. It also has a good number of episodes (perhaps a few movies) that are stinkers. However, on the whole there are a bunch of "classic" episodes - well written and acted. The tech is fanciful, but there is enough reality mixed in to make it seem like such things aren't far off.

Star Trek appeals to me more because of the characters. The relationships between the characters have been (and should be) integral to the series. The Kirk, Spock, McCoy trio is a classic example. McCoy is the passionate, human perspective; Spock is the clear reasoning of logic. Kirk, is the balance of the two. He takes counsel from both and makes the best decision he can weighing both sides. And that's just to succeed in the mission. Other times, Kirk and McCoy can sit over a drink and discuss philosophy and psychology as relates to themselves and the crew. Any time the crap hits the fan, Spock knows what's going on and he's always ready to work with Kirk to get out of a jam - usually without Kirk having to say a word. It's like that one saying "A friend will bail you out of jail, a best friend will be sitting in there with you." Kirk and Spock are always in the cell together trying to break out.

TNG was what I grew up watching, so it's always got a special place for me, not that it wasn't a really good show in its own right. DS9 was the grittiest Star Trek and I enjoyed it immensely. It was interesting to see the characters portrayed in such a "human" fashion. Whereas TOS and TNG largely showed the better parts of humanity, DS9 often got into the skeletons in our closets. It put them in situations where characters faced the tough choices and they didn't always choose what was right. They made mistakes. And usually they paid for them - if not to others, than to themselves and their own consciences. Voyager, I could take or leave - mostly leave. Got a little too ridiculous in my opinion. For example, the Borg were this nearly unbeatable foe - except when that one-in-a-million opportunity arrived. But, little Voyager, all on her own, whooped the Borg routinely. Didn't watch much of that series. Enterprise, was a touchy thing. I didn't like the prequel idea because the writers had to be awfully careful of what had already been established. They often weren't, and that bugged me and a lot of others. But, I gave it a second chance and watched almost all four seasons and, on the whole, enjoyed them.

Star Wars was really good, too. At least, if we're talking about A New Hope - Return of the Jedi. Classic sci-fi. I got to see the original Star Wars in the theater when the released the special edition. It was an experience. Sure I knew what was coming, but I almost got to experience it was my parents did when it was first released. Seeing the Star Destroyer come over the top of the screen in the first scene was impressive. Luke was the teenage dweeb who would go on to be great. Han was the coolest guy with the hottest ride, and who wouldn't want a rather tall Wookie as a body guard/buddy. Darth Vader was a badass - head-to-toe in black armor with a glowing red sword, could kill people just by thinking about it. Obi-wan was a scholarly sage who could still kick a little ass. Yoda was the font of Jedi wisdom, in muppet form, but surprisingly believable. And the Emperor was pure evil. It was a great story.

Then, in a quest for more money, Episodes I - III came out. Yoda was Grover from Sesame Street. Anakin went from being a little annoying shart, to a teenage bitch (Nobody let's me play Jedi!) - forever damaging the image of Darth Vader (more like Darth Vagina). Jedi sucked at detecting disturbances in the force - the most evil guy alive was like 10 feet away at times. Jedi were weak, but plentiful. Everything that could be, was CG. Overall, it was a lame time ago, in a galaxy not far enough away. The only redeeming things about the prequels were: Liam Neeson (who they killed off before the end of the first movie), Darth Maul, and a scantily clad Natalie Portman (A secluded, Naboo getaway? I'm in!).

Oh, and Firefly was excellent. I wish there were more than one season. That show was great. Can't say enough good about it.

Star Wars all the way! :good: Saw it as kid back in '77 and i haven't looked back.

The Sith make far more sense than the Jedi and so i've adopted a lot of what i've found into my personal philosophy. I've even been thinking about getting the Sith code tattooed for some time now (Decision made. I'm getting it within the month :biggrin: ).

Darth Maul was good, Darth Bane conquers!

I've seen a lot of Star Trek through the years and only the more recent stuff that concentrated on the Ferengi and Klingons i enjoyed.

Quark rules!

BTW i've been to "Star Trek...The Experience" at the Las Vegas Hilton a number of times. For anyone into the genre, it was like being in Trek heaven.

I'm a fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek. Star Wars doesn't have a tremendous amounts of techno bable that Star Trek has. However, a lot of todays technology is very similar to that of old and some of new trek. For instance: cell phones, microwaves, we do have a form of a working "tricorder", web cams, transparent aluminum (yes we do have it - but it's freaken expensive), and I believe we are also researching and experimenting with teleportation (on a very small level - read about it in a Popular Science magazine). S:A&B was awesome and I have no idea why it didn't last long at all. New BSG is interesting, it's kind of like a Sci-Fi soap opera, but with better acting. Star Gate was cool, up until that got rid of the main character, Richard Dean Anderson. Babylon 5 was o.k. Wasn't really into it that much.

Without any doubt Star Trek (TOS & TNG) and Star Wars (The original trilogy Ep IV, V, VI) has "invaded" my heart :smile:

Like I have said before I saw a couple of BSG episode on the TV but they didn't impress me.

STAR WARS (the original trilogy)

I think it's a matter of wether you prefer Fantasy (Star Wars) or Science fiction (Star Treck)

Well, actually, Star Trek is more fantasy than Star Wars...

In Star Trek the techno-babble is mostly used as a stand-in for magic, they regularly find strange aliens and devices with weird powers (fighting evil wizards, meeting with gods), so many in some seasons that it seems the universe is full of god-like beings but only the wits of the Entreprise's crew can beat them.

Classic Star Trek (like Space 1999) always had that homeric tone to me, except that seeing Kirk as Odysseus is kind of disturbing...

Classic Star Wars on the other hand is more a cross between a western and war movie.

Red Dwarf is my poison, however Star Wars,4-6, is one of my all time favorites. My choice nowadays is a good anime series or movie. You can do more with animation, the trick is finding the right voices for the characters so the story is believable.

Well for me it has to be B5. I never get tired of that. What I wouldn't do to wear an Earthforce uniform.

The best thing about Space1999 was the Eagles.

I like UFO too, very kitsch and 1970's. I really like the look.

New BSG is good for me, I like all Star Trek apart from DS9 which I thought was total poop.

Star Wars...brilliant apart from that JarJar Binks thing (what were they thinking?).

I liked Space: Above and Beyond, thought that was really cool.

Never really watched Serenity though I've heard great things about it.

Red Dwarf is excellent, I also loved Hyperdrive too.

hmmm maybe star trek..no start wars...no star trek next gen n voyager...but star wars return of jedi...maybe..HMMMMM..oohhh no its gotta be BUCK ROGERS...yay

xx v xx

For the record, only the original trilogy counts as star wars. Except for Natalie Portman....yum (and I'm sure racindriver1 will think shes trash like all the other celebs we drool over here)

Never quite got what the appeal was of Dr. Who.....apparently I'm the only one who thinks Daleks are quite possibly the most comically non-threatening alien race ever. It's a fricken oversized garbage can, just tip the damn thing over and it won't be EXTERMINATE!!!ing anything.

. Except for Natalie Portman....yum (and I'm sure racindriver1 will think shes trash like all the other celebs we drool over here)

I certainly do not think shes trash..!!!!...a skank maybe but not trash..lol...but atleast ahe was better acting than the boy who played anakin skywalker,

xx vanessa xx

(an i drool aswell over some people)

(no..that doesnt include you miggybuster..lol)

Edited by racindriver1

Spaceballs, then the original Star Wars Trilogy.

Of course there's always 'West Wars'.....

post-29988-1233535170_thumb.jpg

:rofl: