Sign in to follow this  
Silverbolt

Boeing unveils new F-15 Silent Eagle

When i heard my real godfather talk trash about "Godfather" sequels, i didn´t understand him, because

he loved the first one. Now that i see the first aircraft i flew like this, i know what he meant.....

I don´t think that there is some interest in such an aircraft. Perhaps if it had TVC and canards

A large part of me is extremely happy to see continuing growth in crewed fighter development here at home, good on ya, Boeing!

Throw in some Stealthified F-16XLs and we're really cooking with JP-7!

I'm really doubting the stealthy as a F-35 line, looking at the weapons bays they don't have the usual sawtooth on the leading and trailing edges of the doors, which is an easy way to reduce the RCS from the join. I'm not saying this isn't a good idea from Boeing, I'm sure there's a large market for them if the price is sensible, I just don't think they should exaggerate it's performance. Mind you how's anyone ever going to be able to disprove their claim!

Closed one thread, deleted one thread.

Use this thread...can't seem to merge them for some reason.

FC

I'm really doubting the stealthy as a F-35 line, looking at the weapons bays they don't have the usual sawtooth on the leading and trailing edges of the doors, which is an easy way to reduce the RCS from the join. I'm not saying this isn't a good idea from Boeing, I'm sure there's a large market for them if the price is sensible, I just don't think they should exaggerate it's performance. Mind you how's anyone ever going to be able to disprove their claim!

How can they claim that anyway when the F-35 is still in its dev stage :dntknw:

Be interesting to see cost comparison between this and the FA-18E/F

Or this is a great export version?

Export to SK,JP?

The USAF would be wise to look into some new-build F-15s. There will never be enough F-22s to support all of our commitments.

I couldn't have said it any better!!!!

StreakEagle, I think you are forgetting one major factor.

Times are changed!

With such a major economic crises the US is dealing with now, the Silent Eagle can be a hell of a good deal. :good:

A plane like that is a good idea at the same time you start hanging pylons on the F-22s and F-35s...when the major SAM threats are neutralized. Remember, the F-15 isn't worried about other planes, it's worried about SAMs!

In fact, it would be interesting to see what has a bigger RCS--a "silent Eagle" with its missiles inside the CFTs, or an F-22 or F-35 carrying external stores under the wings.

I wonder what the original developers of the F-15 (fighter mafia) who have all been highly critical of the F-35 and F-22, think about this. :)

I'm sure they'd probably say something like "A 1970s design with a few modifications to the airframe, control surfaces, and added weapons bays can still be a viable option. Did I mention its a fraction of the cost?"

It just seems like it's a desperate attempt against the competition by Boeing. To me, it looks like a F-15 with a body kit. Aside from the RAM that's been placed on it, I don't see any other significant design changes that make it stealthier. Internal weapon bays kind of help by maintaining the default RCS that would have changed from external ordinance on the wings. But it still doesn't meet to the level of performance of the F-22 and F-35. It might be a bit cheaper than those two, but that's all it is.

Topics Merged.

Just wait until they unveil the new Stealthy Tomcat!

xn7t6iltihgaot8heb5l.jpg

We shall see about F-15SE, I think that Israel will be willing to obtain some.

The one worrying thing is that this proposal would wind getting shot down to make sure JSF sales are secured, or at least, to stop it from becoming a major competition with the JSF. Much like what happened to the Super Phantom/Kurnass 2000.

Plus age. And the controversy of the F-15C breaking apart some time back.

Edited by kct

Topics Merged.

Its Boeing - who knows where it could go - what else did they build - oh yeah - B-52 Megafortress anyone :)

It just seems like it's a desperate attempt against the competition by Boeing. To me, it looks like a F-15 with a body kit. Aside from the RAM that's been placed on it, I don't see any other significant design changes that make it stealthier. Internal weapon bays kind of help by maintaining the default RCS that would have changed from external ordinance on the wings. But it still doesn't meet to the level of performance of the F-22 and F-35. It might be a bit cheaper than those two, but that's all it is.

Haha - like the bodykit reference - puts it into perspective really

Iran could stick a body kit on their tomcats too - complete with alloy wheels :)

The one worrying thing is that this proposal would wind getting shot down to make sure JSF sales are secured, or at least, to stop it from becoming a major competition with the JSF. Much like what happened to the Super Phantom/Kurnass 2000.

Plus age. And the controversy of the F-15C breaking apart some time back.

Though competition is good. It will offer features the JSF doesnt. Would be good for airforces which already operate the Eagle. I wonder if thee are any common parts?

Oh dear...

That can be read two ways...

1) Reject Boeing RCS claims : Boeing engineers were high, thought that was a good idea, then the marketing department got high too and made preposterous claims.

2) Accept Boeing RCS claims : JSF partners you're being fogged off with second-rate american junk by smart-aleck salesmen from Pittsburgh while british factories stand empty and british workmen queue up for the dole.

Edited by Gunrunner

Would be cool if the Indians considered this bird and provided that it was offered to India for their MMRCA...

No, please, don't get my hopes up. It's been hard enough as is.

I'm with streakeagle on the economics. It was massive defense spending, R&D and production that got us out of the depression, new deal stuff only softened things. Problem is we've already got such an absurd deficit, nobody likes taxes and costs for it all have quadrupled since the 30s and 40s. Though one wonders if all this kim jong il stuff lately is an orchestrated pretext to doing exactly like WW2.

Though how much of a difference will unit cost be to replace them 1 for 1? The SE isn't much cheaper, boeing says something like $100 million? Raptors were what? 120 each?

The only way its nearly as stealthy as a JSF is if the RAM coating is almost 100% of the deal.

The only way its nearly as stealthy as a JSF is if the RAM coating is almost 100% of the deal.

Huh that would be some fluke - putting RAM on an F-15 and it being an RCS near a true stealth fighter - wishful thinking i reakon