Sign in to follow this  
jet_spud

What's your fav method of air-to-air combat?

Hi guys, back again after a while!

Do you prefer getting in close with guns or standing off with missiles? Which do you find easier?

As a committed il-2 series flyer, I thought I'd be a gun man, much to my surprise I find these brutes are not really honed for guns like the old warbirds. If I try that manouvering stuff in here its blackout or redout time pronto - and boy am I vulnerable then!! blink.gif

So I read up the manuals and trawled the web for AtoA missiles and their usage methods. Wow its as satisfying as 4x20mm on a Tempest! The trickiest thing for me is making that snap second decision whether the bogey is on my coarse or coming at me - split second delay and he gets his rocks off first and its kinda hot in that pit! heat.gif But get it right and its a REAL buzz aint it?

Guns!

Although I do like hearing a really load IRM growl when 2km behind a MiG-17!!

I like IRM kills. Guns are great but something about an AIM-9 that is oh so sweet.

I prefer Gun kills. But if you're playing very modern stuff it helps to even out the odds a bit using BVR missiles first.

Missiles isnt allways easier.

If you're playing on hard with everything and are flying the F-4 in Vietnam. You sometimes wished you had a gun instead of useless missiles.

Guns by far. BVR missiles are nice to be sure, but only when I have them and the other guy doesn't. In any case I like taking the fight to knife-fighting range. My only exception to this is when I fly the F-4. I consider it a long-range archer. With the led-sled it's better to stand off and fire from a distance.

BVR and slowly picking up IRM skills as of late

Plus depending on the given target. If you can put some missiles into bombers with tailgunners it will help you a lot to. Try charging a Beagle from the rear in an F-86 armed with .50 cal and you're dead meat :grin:

Favorite? GUNS, Baby!

Typical? Long-range/BVR.

I only get into gunfights usually in missions prior to 1985, simply because after that point the Flankers start showing up and shooting at me from BVR, so I have to shoot at them before they can shoot at me. Every once in a while it can turn into a gunfight, and I love it when it does, but that becomes more and more rare in missions following the mid 80's.

guns guns and more guns

I keep the sidewinders for those foolish enough who try to extend and run away when I am behind them.

come out to the hyper lobby strike fighters or wov room and see.

on most nights from 8pm pacific till 12 am.

"There is no kill like a GUNS kill" - Hoser

Right, Caesar ?

;)

• Like 1

Due to my abilities with missilies (is there something lower than dumb @$$???) i rather guns of all kinds, i tend to shoot missiles and either loose track of them or the foes are smarter to deal with them, so in general guns...

Right, Caesar ?

;)

AMEN! :grin:

Edited by Caesar
  • Like 1

Oh yes. It sure is satisfying to get in close and spank a bandit with guns. Then seeing them break apart. But my favorite "method" is simply to shoot the other guy first.

grin.gif

Plus depending on the given target. If you can put some missiles into bombers with tailgunners it will help you a lot to. Try charging a Beagle from the rear in an F-86 armed with .50 cal and you're dead meat :grin:

Funny that you mention this.

Seeing as the AIM9Bs are so unreliable i developed attacks solely for the Iron Beagles. After launching missles, go down and close in at high speed until you are virtually underneath them. Then chop throttle, pull up hard and open fire. As you climb above, open throttle and repeat.

The second is a porpoise like approach from their 6 in which you are timing the fire from the gunner. Done right, you can get in to about 100 yards and just hose that sucker into eternity.

• Like 1

Funny that you mention this.

Seeing as the AIM9Bs are so unreliable i developed attacks solely for the Iron Beagles. After launching missles, go down and close in at high speed until you are virtually underneath them. Then chop throttle, pull up hard and open fire. As you climb above, open throttle and repeat.

The second is a porpoise like approach from their 6 in which you are timing the fire from the gunner. Done right, you can get in to about 100 yards and just hose that sucker into eternity.

I'm going to try out those tactics in my CL-13B NF4+ 62 Campaign... How low is lower???

• Like 1

I fly MiGs too in WoI and prior the 1982 Lebanon war the Russian made IR missiles are largely unreliable.

But somehow I prefer missile kill than gun kill. however I do note that bombers formation tends to ignore attack on them this is probably my biggest gripe with the game :boredom:

I'm going to try out those tactics in my CL-13B NF4+ 62 Campaign... How low is lower???

About 500 to 1000 ft lower is alright. When they come in low, you will have a rather exciting time tracking them from just above the treetops.

• Like 1

Cool I tried the other tactic closing in like a porpoise. hosed the sucker down but got hosed myself :lol: At least I didnt die

• Like 1

Only kill is a gun kill... after that its all technolgy taking over. But there is a time and a place for everything. e.g. your bad guy's running away in full burner and you cant catch him then feed him an IRM. Even knife-fighting the Su-27's is fun in the right circumstances... :lol:

I like to sneak in quietly from the rear and shoot them in the back while they are eating a sandwich...

I like to sneak in quietly from the rear and shoot them in the back while they are eating a sandwich...

Yeah but aint war hell and life a bitch sometimes :rofl:

When it comes to bombers, I prefer missiles, damn tailgunners get me every time from the side or back. Head on is the only way to take bombers with guns, but with them at 300kts and you at about the same, you get no time to line up a shot and calculate the necessary lead.

• Dislike 1