Sign in to follow this  
Bossco82

Recommend a joystick for SF2

Hi,

I've been using a Saitek X45 i got 2nd hand for SF2 for a while now. Its always been quite stiff to use due to the spring tension but now its sensitivity is getting less and less. I've used the cable tie trick to keep the stiffness down and altered the dead zones to keep the sensitivity but its got to the point I have to use half the axis of the stick to get any input.

Can anybody give any recommendations on a decent stick to replace it with. I do like the look of the stuff from CH Products but its costs too much. Does anyone know if Saiteks X52 range is any good or does it suffer from the same stiffness/sticking problem as the X45.

Cheers

Hi,

I've been using a Saitek X45 i got 2nd hand for SF2 for a while now. Its always been quite stiff to use due to the spring tension but now its sensitivity is getting less and less. I've used the cable tie trick to keep the stiffness down and altered the dead zones to keep the sensitivity but its got to the point I have to use half the axis of the stick to get any input.

Can anybody give any recommendations on a decent stick to replace it with. I do like the look of the stuff from CH Products but its costs too much. Does anyone know if Saiteks X52 range is any good or does it suffer from the same stiffness/sticking problem as the X45.

Cheers

I use a Saitek Cyborg EVO Force, and a Cyborg X flightstick, and they don't suffer from the stiffness.

I've been using a Saitek Cyborg EVO for around 5 years now with no complains...pretty cheap too!

They fixed the spring when they made the x52, and if you are used to using a hotas then it would be hard to go back to an all in one stick (IMHO) I would suggest the x52 or the x52pro, the pro has improved on the spring mechanism even more.... But it cost quite a bit more than the x52

I find my Saitek x52 to way to sensitiv sometimes. I have to fiddle with it alot to get the desired sensitivity so i dont man handle the jets. specially the f4.

To Romflyer ans Xcusive8,

Which do you have the X52 (silver) or the X52 pro. I've been looking at both but couldn't find a review that mentioned the spring tension sticking problem. I like the look of both but wanted to confirm whether the spring tension problem had been rectified since the X45. Do you think the pro model is worth the extra outlay?

I use Logitech extreme 3d stick. i know its not as advanced as the siatek ones but its affordable and still works.

To Romflyer ans Xcusive8,

Which do you have the X52 (silver) or the X52 pro. I've been looking at both but couldn't find a review that mentioned the spring tension sticking problem. I like the look of both but wanted to confirm whether the spring tension problem had been rectified since the X45. Do you think the pro model is worth the extra outlay?

Well.......I thought it was worth the extra dough, it looks so much better in black, and yes they apparently improved the spring even further with the pro......I haven't tried the non pro version, but the feel of the pro is really.......amazing

I have the regular X52 (silver) and if you had a problem with the stick being to stiff, that problem was solved with the X52. I find sometimes I have to make more movement then I want to, but after getting used to it there are no problems. The one problem I know of with the X52 is with the cords that connect the stick and throttle. They get loose VERY easily and will cause a momentary loss of connection at times, even with the slightest nudge. I moved from the Logitec Extreme 3D Pro to the Saitek X52 and I have been happy over all. Since you are already familiar with Saitek products, I say go for the X52. If you have a bit of cash, get the pro version, but the regular will work just fine. Just as a side note, the X45 had the rocker for rudder control, while the X52 has a traditional twist stick. There is a lock for this on the stick if you have rudder peddles hooked up as well.

I used to use an X52, to get round the spring tension problem I just clamped 2 of the coils together with a couple of cable ties, made it a lot more user friendly after that.

I use Logitech extreme 3d stick. i know its not as advanced as the siatek ones but its affordable and still works.

I agree as I use the same

My recommendation would be the Saitek AV8R (Aviator).

saitek_aviator4.jpgsaitek-aviator-avr8-flight-stick.jpg

It have a dual throttle, various and distinct buttons, a small footprint but a stable base, a removable handrest and it's cheap (35 box-ish).

On the other hand, it does look cheap (does it really matter?) and you would have to widen the deadzone after some months to not have your plane go sideways.

All in all, it's a stick with an excellent price-quality ratio for its category (good enough, by far, for SF2 and decently able in more hardcore sims ala Il-2, FSX or Lomac).

Edited by FrankD

Hi,

What drivers are you using? What happens when you calibrate?

Hi,

Cheers

If you plan to keep the X45 throttle, then the AVRR01 is a good call, otherwise you want the X52, unless you want to give up the extended features of the Saitek HOTAS rigs. There is nothing even close for under $100 street, well over. You can get the X52 for ~$85 street in the US. I have all 3 of the models discussed, and I like the X45 best for feel, but the extra features of the X52 are worth getting. For you, it sounds like you'll appreciate them even more because they are a lot lighter. Contrast this with the X65 and you see why they felt OK about building the X52 so light.

Umm.. isn't the question 4 months old?

i used genius metal 3d strike stick b4

genius-metal-strike-3d.jpg

now i still using itgood.gif

+1 and for the same reasons.

I use a Saitek Cyborg EVO Force, and a Cyborg X flightstick, and they don't suffer from the stiffness.

I've been using a Saitek Cyborg EVO for around 5 years now with no complains...pretty cheap too!

Can't believe that a lot of people are still using EVO (me being one, too). That one is the toughest flight stick I have ever seen (and cheap, too).

Maybe I should put it on eBay and get an X52 later.

Logitech Extreme 3D PRO also.

It has a comfortable and solid feel.

I 've been using this same stick for over 5years.

It has trigger, bomb release, 8-way hat plus 4 other buttons on top of stick.

I use the mouse in my left hand for head movement and throttle control, so most common operations I don't need to look at the keyboard.

Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X is my recently purchased joystick. It is a solid looking piece of equipment, precise, plenty of buttons, regolable spring tension and a 5th axis on the throttle that could be used as rudder or as a custom one. And it comes quite cheap at around 40-45 Euros

http://www.thrustmas...asX_IL-2-UK.jpg

Anyway I still have a Sidewinder Precision Pro that after some 11 years is still solid as rock and very precise. A true jewel. Very, very happy with it. :-)

http://www.hartware....ews/90/oben.jpg

Edited by Spillone104

If you have the disposable income I would say go with the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS. I just picked one up yesterday, I am in LOVE with it!!!

I really don't care for the little levers on cheap joysticks that are supposed to be used as a throttle.Its also pretty worthless if you also like flying helicopters.I would not settle for anything less then at least a thrustmaster afterburner 2(now called a Thrustmaster T-Flight that has the separate throttle and is a true HOTAS) or an X-52.Both are affordable and do not require a separate set of rudder pedals.

One thing I did like about the X45 and the Afterburner 2/T-flight is the rudder rocker on the throttle.Much better then a twist rudder on the joystick.I wish the X52 had this like the x45 did.Shame that Saitek did not keep this feature when they designed the X52 and X52 pro.

I now have an X52 after my Afterburner 2 wore out a few years back and now it too is also wearing out so I'll probably be going with an X-52 pro next.I cannot justify spending $200 or more on a HOTAS that also requires rudder pedals.CH and Cougar have no rudder options on their HOTAS systems so that will be another $100 expense if you go that route.

Edited by SopmodMikeFour

I really don't care for the little levers on cheap joysticks that are supposed to be used as a throttle.Its also pretty worthless if you also like flying helicopters.I would not settle for anything less then at least a thrustmaster afterburner 2(now called a Thrustmaster T-Flight that has the separate throttle and is a true HOTAS) or an X-52.Both are affordable and do not require a separate set of rudder pedals.

One thing I did like about the X45 and the Afterburner 2/T-flight is the rudder rocker on the throttle.Much better then a twist rudder on the joystick.I wish the X52 had this like the x45 did.Shame that Saitek did not keep this feature when they designed the X52 and X52 pro.

I now have an X52 after my Afterburner 2 wore out a few years back and now it too is also wearing out so I'll probably be going with an X-52 pro next.I cannot justify spending $200 or more on a HOTAS that also requires rudder pedals.CH and Cougar have no rudder options on their HOTAS systems so that will be another $100 expense if you go that route.

If you are serious enough about your flight simming to drop $100-$200 (or more) on a hotas set-up......then you really should be serious enough to drop another $100- $150 on pedals.......as a matter of fact you would probably be better off buying "one of those cheap joysticks with the little levers" and then spend the money you saved on pedals (IMHO) assuming your not ready to spend on both.......It always seems to me that the point of what we all enjoy doing is pretending to fly planes......and when you fly planes you need to use your feet (not a rocker switch with your fingers)

So like I suggested earlier, if you are serious enough to spend on a Hotas set-up.....then do yourself a huge favour and take the next step.....you will be happy you made the investment and you'll wonder how you ever pretended to fly planes without it :dntknw: